Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

2 cell LIPO saved from 1v!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage26/05/2010 15:15:09
1557 forum posts
58 photos
After coming back to my hirobo lama sky robo heli charger, I discovered my second battery still attached! when I finally managed to source a multimeter, I discovered each cell was at about 0.5 volts :s

I had read on this forum somewhere of someone who left a lipo plugged into his plane overnight and overdrained it at low current and thought I would have a go! 

When I plugged it into the charger to try and charge it, all it did was flash an error.

I made some charging wires for it, out of some 0.1 inch header plugs, then plugged it into my old nicad charger put on the lowest charge setting (0.9 amps is still a bit high) for about 6 minutes and it went from 1v all the way up to 7.3v.

I will point out that this was done outside, on the concrete patio, on some roofing tiles with a fire extinguisher to hand.

I then switched over to my other lipo charger and charged the rest of it on 0.5 amps until it was fully charged. I have now found that it works perfectly alright and works on the original charger!

A very relieved Peter Savage!

P.S at £15 I was not going let it go without a fight! And I might just put it in with our other lipos in the lipo safe after this just in case!

Edited By Peter 'Servo Scrounger' Savage on 26/05/2010 15:19:41

Bruce Richards26/05/2010 15:38:07
1849 forum posts
How many charge discharge cycles have you been through since this incident? I would be interested to know how much longer it will last.

I suggest you keep a very close eye on it when you charge it from now on.

Edited By Bruce Richards - Moderator on 26/05/2010 15:43:10

Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage26/05/2010 17:09:21
1557 forum posts
58 photos
yeah, it's on charge now, they are quite old (maybe a few years)
Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage26/05/2010 18:50:24
1557 forum posts
58 photos
Flown it twice since I did it, does not seem to have made any difference to it whatsoever!
ken anderson.26/05/2010 19:00:59
8635 forum posts
779 photos
hello peter-i'll be amazed if it work's/last's....the longest any of my lipo's have lasted is 2 year's....that's using them 3-4 times a week and cycling them regularly etc....mine just seem to take longer and longer to charge which i take as a sign that they have had enough.......................and it is time for ...........please let us know how you get on.....and take care with the lipo in question.......

ken anderson...ne 1....
Peter 'Ivanna Crashalot' Savage26/05/2010 19:41:09
1557 forum posts
58 photos
Although this has been used on and off for 3 years, maybe about 50 cycles

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!