By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Pix - E Major

A vintage littlun gets dragged in to the 21st century!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The December issue preview

The December issue preview

in the shops 19th Nov

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator05/07/2010 23:03:20
6727 forum posts
191 photos
Waiting for the free plan with great interest.....I already have a suitable motor.

Where did the battery end up by the way??
Tim Hooper06/07/2010 09:00:07
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Stephen,

Thanks for the interest!

By placing the servos in the extreme tail, I was able to get the battery just behind the cowl, and ahead of the undercarriage.  There's a magnet-attached hatch to allow easy battery access.  Works a treat!

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 06/07/2010 09:07:38

Tim Hooper17/11/2010 17:08:20
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
In a shameless display of self-promotion, I'm dragging this thread back into the light to coincide with publishing of the Pix - E plan in the latest RCM+E.

I do hope no-one minds too much.......

tim

Stephen Grigg18/11/2010 08:25:45
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
And very impreesed with the Article that goes with the plan Tim.
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator18/11/2010 15:50:52
6727 forum posts
191 photos
No problem Tim.....this is on my to do list...

Not read the article or looked at the plan yet (need a cuppa & 5 spare mins!!) but the pics look good.....

I have a couple of 1800mAH batteries earmarked for this one as they are the only 2S batteries I have....they are quite long though...reckon I'll find room for them??
Tim Hooper18/11/2010 15:56:55
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Posted by Steve Hargreaves on 18/11/2010 15:50:52:
No problem Tim.....this is on my to do list...

Not read the article or looked at the plan yet (need a cuppa & 5 spare mins!!) but the pics look good.....

I have a couple of 1800mAH batteries earmarked for this one as they are the only 2S batteries I have....they are quite long though...reckon I'll find room for them??
 Hiya Steve!

You might have to re-design the hatch area slightly to get those larger batteries to fit, but I'm confident that the airframe will carry the extra weight without qualm.

On the other hand, you could always spring out £7.20 for the latest offering from Giant Cod;

tim
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator18/11/2010 16:05:24
6727 forum posts
191 photos
£7.20.....?? Thats nearly a weeks pocket money....
ian ludwell24/11/2010 15:26:27
127 forum posts
85 photos
I just don't know what to say,you people at RCM&E so annoying,i just get my teeth into Zulu ET with fuz/tail feathers sorted,nearly onto the wings,and you come up with another fab build in the mag purchased today,how do you do it,this PIX-E MAJOR looks a great build,problem is i have been building in 6mm/1/4 " and now will have to mess with fiddly stuff,something else to look forward to.The finished model in the pic is a Keil Kraft Scorpion belonging to a club member and i fancied building this at some stage but the PIX looks good as well so who knows.

Tim Hooper25/11/2010 10:10:13
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Ian,

Welcome to the thread!  

It's a quandry, isn't it?  I've seen Lindsay's Zulu fly (and it's a peach).  The Pix - E is also pretty good.......

Just to add to your confusion, I also have a plan-built Super Scorpion, and that's also an accomplished performer.  Tough call, huh?

tim

CARBON_ROD26/11/2010 13:44:33
146 forum posts
1 photos
 What a smashing little model ! can't wait to get my hands on the plan all ready got the motor and esc, Very nice  job you've done as well.
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator26/11/2010 15:12:56
6727 forum posts
191 photos
Hey Tim....I was just wondering if your lovely little graphic design of the Pix-E Major name/logo might be available to those of us more..ah..."creatively challenged" than your good self.....???

Maybe an email of the word file or JPEG could be made available to those who ask nicely???
r6dan26/11/2010 15:45:32
1110 forum posts
46 photos
Looks like I will have to spend my last on the mag so as not to miss out on such a beautiful model 
ian ludwell26/11/2010 16:01:03
127 forum posts
85 photos
Thanks for your reply Tim,i was compiling a list of parts required and looking at the servo's i have Hitec HS 81 x2,E-Max CF 2812 Brushless outrunner1650 Kv,not sure about the motor,would the servo's be ok.
Was checking on BRC website and the suggested motor/esc combo was out of stock,but as it happens(sound like Jimmy Saville) i am going to the Harrogate modellers fair tomorrow and BRC will be there so my beloved has given me 2 weeks pocket money and a bit extra for a cup of tea, hope i dont get mugged,£9:50 is a lot of money to be carrying about.
Will you ever be doing the plan for the Super Scorpion?
Sy26/11/2010 16:56:23
31 forum posts
11 photos
Every now and then, a plan pops up in RCME that just has to be built! Have been looking for a vintage type model for a while and this is just the ticket! I would say this is my winter build, however, its soooo nice that I reckon will have it on the go and built within 2 weeks!

As for colour scheme? I am going to present in a seudo RAF trainer scheme, as the aircraft is similar to the Beagle Husky that the Air Cadets had one of at 5 AEF in Cambridge back in the late 70's, happy days!! I believe the aircraft is still about in civilan ownership?

As for the power set-up? BRC is showing ot of stock for the bell outrunner and ESC combi. does anyone else know of anyone who stocks that motor? 
Tim Hooper27/11/2010 10:04:11
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
What a fantastic response!

The Ashbys reckoned this was going to be a popular plan, and it seems they were right!

Let's see if I can answer your queries in turn......

Steve, I have to make a confession about the logo.  I didn't design it myself - rather it was my good lady, Netty, who comped it up in PhotoDraw for me.  Having read your plea, she's re-saved it as a jpg. file and I've uploaded it to my General Gubbins gallery....
 Ian,

Those HS81's are probably a little heavy for the model - especially if you intend to mount them in the tail.  Don't they weigh around 18g each?  I've save them for a larger model, and source some 9g cheapies instead!  Try BRC, Robotbirds or Giant Cod.

Sy,

Robotbirds are listing the motor here;
[URL]http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_325&products_id=736[/URL]

Mind you, with a little bit of fettling, I'm sure that pretty much any 80-100 outrunner could be persuaded to fit in the nose.....  I reckon the RAF scheme will look great too.  I've seen a rubber-powered original done in US coastguard colours (white/red), and that's what prompted me to start this particular project.

Dan/Taildragger,

Thanks again for the encouragement!

tim

Tim Hooper27/11/2010 10:17:54
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Here's that US Coastguard-based version.

.....and here's the link to the build thread on RC Groups;

julian27/11/2010 11:34:17
92 forum posts
1 photos
A good looking model Tim,this is on my "to build"list during my christmas holiday.There's something about those old designs that "do it" for me.
All the wood required is in my scrap and offcut box.
Good construction images and text in the mag,my son wants to have a go at building it-with dads help.

ian ludwell27/11/2010 14:45:04
127 forum posts
85 photos
Hello Tim,sorry for the confusion with the Hi-tec HS 81 servo's,i am so into the Zulu ET at the moment that i forgot it is the HS 81s i am using for the Ailerons,the servos i have checked in my drawer are Hi-tec HS 55s,and as  these are slightly less than 9 grms i hope they will suffice,i notice in my little book of projects that i watched with interest your notes on the Seibel SI 201,i was going to have a go but wandered onto something else,but may come back to that at another time...thanks again.
Tim Hooper27/11/2010 19:02:07
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Ian,

We all get confused at times.  I have to limit myself to just one project at a time, otherwise it all gets too much for what's left of my mind.......

Yes, the HS55's will be ideal for the Pix - E!

tim
r6dan27/11/2010 19:25:19
1110 forum posts
46 photos
What is the best covering for this type of plane,should I tissue and dope her and is it still worth using,with all the plastic film stuff around now? I  have never used tissue and fancy giving it a go.

Edited By r6Dan on 27/11/2010 19:35:56

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us