By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Pix - E Major

A vintage littlun gets dragged in to the 21st century!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The December issue preview

The December issue preview

in the shops 19th Nov

Tim Hooper28/11/2010 10:24:41
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Dan,

Tissue would great, and would really look the part!

Other than that, I'd suggest either Litespan (for that tissue type look, but without the mess and fumes), or Solite (the thinner version of Solarfilm).  Or a combination of two or more!

The white areas on mine are Litespan, the silver is ordinary Solarfilm, and the green is stick-on Solartrim.  Whatever was lying around doing nothing really....

I'd avoid anything heavy, or anything that might distort the airframe though.

tim
r6dan28/11/2010 15:47:37
1110 forum posts
46 photos
Cheers Tim I think I will go the tissue route,got the plan today,need to get to the LMS tomorrow to stock up on wood,tissue and dope (as I am no scratch builder I don`t have any stocks of timber)and get myself started.

Edited By r6Dan on 28/11/2010 15:49:13

Tim Hooper28/11/2010 18:43:05
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Good luck Dan!

Don't set your self inpossible standards (like a lot of first timers do) - just aim to get a reasonably straight and light aeroplane as an end result.

Just as an aside, my own Pix - E saw some airtime today.  Looked very pretty doing low passes against the snow-covered field.

tim
r6dan28/11/2010 18:50:11
1110 forum posts
46 photos
I don`t expect it to be perfect,but I will try and get it as near as I can,will post up some build pics too.
Also as the motor you used is not available, what sort of wattage will it need to be?  
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator29/11/2010 09:55:38
6727 forum posts
191 photos
Thanks for the design Tim.....much appreciated!!! Thank Netty for me too!!!!

Ian, the Super Scorpion already exists as a kit from Ben Buckle ...they also sell the plans for the original Scorpion (44" span) & even a Micro Scorpion (27")
Tim Hooper29/11/2010 22:14:17
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Dan,

Robotbirds list the motor on their site too;

Neil Powell07/12/2010 09:40:15
70 forum posts
22 photos
Tim,

Thats a lovely model. I've made many similar free flight models but i'm now using the Pix-E plan to build my first RC. A couple of questions if you don't mind.

How did you go about making the hinges for the elevator and rudder?

If i were to add ailerons would it make a great deal of difference to how it flys.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
r6dan07/12/2010 10:16:49
1110 forum posts
46 photos
Cheers Tim,I will see if I can get one of those.
Tim Hooper07/12/2010 11:48:32
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Neil,

Hinging is up to you!  Sewn hinges wouldn't be out of place at all, and would look very appropriate to the model.  However, I used slivers of commercial 'hairy' CA type hinge.  Mind you, in the past i've used snippets of an old floppy disc (remember them?) with all the brown coating sanded off.  Then again, you could use clear tape, or the covering itself!

You're a bit spoilt for choice really!

As for ailerons, I'm not sure.  I think you'd have to reduce the dihedral a tad for them to be worthwhile, but as the model isn't really rigged for aerobatics, I'm not sure that you'd actually gain anything worthwhile in flight.  It'd still be happiest just drifting around in lazy circles!

Dan,

Rumour has it that BRC will be receiving more soon, so it might be worth checking with them again.

tim

Neil Powell07/12/2010 11:53:46
70 forum posts
22 photos
Thanks TIm. The advice is much appreciated.
Sy07/12/2010 20:36:04
31 forum posts
11 photos
If anyone is desperate for the Towerpro motor, I have a 2nd hand one available on ebay item number 190477510754. Please note that the motor works fine, but I damaged the mount when I rounded off a grubscrew and hashed the mount trying to drill it out. I am supplying a new mount with the motor though! 99p may get you a bargain!!

My build is progressing well,hope to post some pictures of my RAF trainer colour scheme when model is a little closer to the finish point. 
Kit White17/12/2010 17:00:08
40 forum posts
2 photos
Could you possibly provide me with a list of all the balsa and materials needed? I haven't yet accumulated a 'spares box'. Is this an easy kit to build, and easy to fly?
Tim Hooper17/12/2010 19:33:24
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Kit,

Thanks for your interest!

As I said in the article, I didn't actually have to buy any wood specifically for this model, so this is going to be a bit of a guess!

1/8 hard - 1 sheet (spars, longerons)
1/8 medium - 1 sheet (tail surfaces, fuselage crossbracing, formers)
1/16 medium - 2 sheets (ribs)
1/8 bamboo skewers - 6
14 swg wire - 1
1/64 ply - cowl cheeks (substitute thin card or 1/16 balsa if necessary)
1/16 ply - motor former + u/c plate.

There's bound to be something I've missed - wheels, horns, etc.,  - but this should get you underway!

As plan-built models go, then, yes, it is comparitively easy both to build and fly.  However, if this is going to be your first ever model, then I'd plump for a simple ARTF model whilst you get to grips with the niceties of actually flying.

tim

Kit White17/12/2010 21:48:11
40 forum posts
2 photos
Thanks for the list, thats smashing. It is not my first plane; It is my second kit, my first being a Westwings Beguine, which incidently ran exactly the same motor/esc/prop combo as you use on the Pix-E. How would building a Pix-E compare to building the Beguine?

Would you be able to point me in the dirrection of any other RCME plans which would suit me and my limited previous building/flying experience?
Tim Hooper18/12/2010 11:53:44
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Kit,

I forgot to add a sheet of medium 1/4 , and a sheet of medium 3/16 to the list (for the LE and TE respectively), although there's nothing to stop you laminating them from thinner stock.

I can't comment on the Beguine (not ever having had one), but they look of the same ilk, don't they?

As for RCM+E plans, I don't really know.  You could have a trawl through the online shop, for something similar, I suppose.

If you fancy a simple,lightweight scale model then you can't really go wrong with one of Peter Rake's designs.  I've built several, and never been disapointed yet!

tim

CARBON_ROD06/01/2011 15:21:22
146 forum posts
1 photos
  Very nice mr  Hooper ,I  now have the plan and hoping to get stuck in at the weekend , regards TD
Tim Hooper06/01/2011 15:37:08
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
TD,  don't forget the pictures!

tim
Sy06/01/2011 16:43:14
31 forum posts
11 photos
Have tried to upload a pickie of my Pix-E which I finished today, but for some reason I am unable to upload photo's? does anyone have any idea why not? Anyway, I have been able to upload it into my photo album, so if anyone would like to see how it has come out in RAF training colours, please look.

Very pleased with the finished build, just hoping for a nice crisp winters day to give her a maiden. will post a report on that when I have flown her.

enjoyed the build, have built many from plans over the years, but this was up there with most enjoyable, and a model that wont break the bank to build! 
Tim Hooper06/01/2011 19:15:16
2863 forum posts
2363 photos
Posted by Sy on 06/01/2011 16:43:14:
Have tried to upload a pickie of my Pix-E which I finished today, but for some reason I am unable to upload photo's? does anyone have any idea why not? Anyway, I have been able to upload it into my photo album, so if anyone would like to see how it has come out in RAF training colours, please look.

Very pleased with the finished build, just hoping for a nice crisp winters day to give her a maiden. will post a report on that when I have flown her.

enjoyed the build, have built many from plans over the years, but this was up there with most enjoyable, and a model that wont break the bank to build! 

Sy,

Allow me!

Your Pix - E looks great!  I'm pleased to see the 'rasberry ripple' scheme used to such good effect.

tim
Kit White07/01/2011 08:19:12
40 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Tim Hooper on 01/06/2010 13:04:33:
Posted by Bruce Richards - Moderator on 01/06/2010 12:08:07:

How do these parts, f2 and f3, attach to the fuselage sides? In this picture, is there  1/8" square balsa between F2 and F3 and the workbench?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us