By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Pix - E Major

A vintage littlun gets dragged in to the 21st century!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The December issue preview

The December issue preview

in the shops 19th Nov

Tim Hooper28/02/2012 23:00:00
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Posted by Eifion Herbert on 28/02/2012 20:46:04:
I'll post some pictures as it progresses.

Looking forward to seeing it. Cream and dark red sounds very classy indeed!

tim

Chris White27/03/2012 19:46:43
2 forum posts

Hi Tim

I wonder if you can help? I have built Pixie-E to your drawing and find that to establish the correct CofG the battery must be located over the u/c bay. The drawing shows the battery up the front over your designated battery hatch. I note from the forum that you acknowledge this. So please advise how the model needs to be revised in order that I can get the battery in and out in the field. The only solution I can think of is to remove the cabin roof glazing and make a clip on hatch with battery located by velcro to a plate mounted on the former intermediate cross members.

I am an experienced modeller and am somewhat disappointed that the drawing does not reflect you own findings for the battery during your initial build.

Can you provide a sketch of your solution to battery placement.

Many thanks

Chris White

Tim Hooper28/03/2012 13:05:49
2859 forum posts
2363 photos

Hi Chris!

Where have you sited your servos? Mine has both 9g units mounted at the tail, which allows me to place the battery just forward of the u/c mount.

I'm not sure what you mean about my acknowledging the siting of the battery though. Mine sits over the hatch in a foam-lined cradle, and is held in by friction alone.

tim

Chris White28/03/2012 19:51:02
2 forum posts

Hi Tim
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have noted your advice and will now finish the model but allow for a velcro tray above the u/c plate just in case I need to install the battery further back.
I should tell you that I have had a great deal of pleasure from building your model and am looking forward to my first flight. I have decided on your Desoutter next, it being afavourite aircraft of mine.

Anyway many thanks, I will let you know how mine turns out, yellow fuse with white wings and tail, and more importantly how it flies.

Regards

Chris White

ian ludwell28/03/2012 20:46:44
127 forum posts
85 photos

Hello,took the re-vamped pix-e for a tootle on Sunday,beautiful sunny calm day when mist cleared.

very little breeze,my model dips down to the right on launch,but i am prepaired for this.or get some one else to launch for me so i have both hands on my tx.

it flies beautifully on 2s 1300 mAh li-po,1/4 throttle takes it round and round gently.

Have fitted some bigger wheels and now the grass has been trimmed may try a ROG.

Bye for now.smiley

Tim Hooper29/03/2012 00:03:46
2859 forum posts
2363 photos

Chris,

I'd love to see some photos of your Pix-E. Any chance?

Ian, glad to hear your model flies as it should.

FWIW my own Pix-E has had several flights recently, and it's just about my favourite model for when those all-too-rare occasions when the wind drops to almost nothing.

tim

ian ludwell03/04/2012 09:55:31
127 forum posts
85 photos

Hi all,

Just a quick word.

Took the Pix-e along to our local club site yesterday,a little breezy i thought,have fitted larger spoked wheels from GC..

How ever along came Phil-G with his assorted small model all flying on single channel push button Tx updated to 2.4.

Flew thePix-e on my Tx from a throw launch,thought it was great.

Landed, and as it had never taken off from the grass i suggested he try it.

So placed on grass into wind,throttled up (not loads) the little darling took off in less than a foot.!!!

Specatators were amazed,one comment was "it does'nt need a runway".

Phil was so impressed he has asked to borrow the plan and build one.

Once again thanks Tim. laugh

Edited By ian ludwell on 03/04/2012 09:58:34

Tim Hooper03/04/2012 18:22:52
2859 forum posts
2363 photos

That's brilliant, Ian!

The feedback is really appreciated.

timteeth 2

Eifion Herbert21/04/2012 13:12:31
197 forum posts
81 photos

Well as promised here's a few photos of my build so far. Have really enjoyed putting the fuse together, there's something so pleasing about taking strips of wood and turning them into a proper thing with structure and form and function.

At a bit of a stop with the fuse at the moment as I need to source all those niggly little extra bits like piano wire and wheels oh, and a motor!

Thanks for the design Tim, if I get as much enjoyment from the rest of the build and the flying I'll be very happy indeed.

Edited By Eifion Herbert on 21/04/2012 13:15:37

Edited By Eifion Herbert on 21/04/2012 13:16:55

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 21/04/2012 14:25:44

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator21/04/2012 14:28:57
6720 forum posts
189 photos

Looks great Eifion......thumbs up Amazing how satisfying sticking a few twigs together can be isn't it!!!

Please can you try & hit <CR> (Carriage Return) between each picture so there is a "line" of free space between each one.....if you don't the pics are side by side & it messes up the format....sad

Eifion Herbert29/04/2012 22:32:36
197 forum posts
81 photos

The build is progressing nicely now, got all the major timberwork done, now it's on to those fiddly little bits that seem to take as long if not longer than building the main airframe. And I've got a couple of questions for you mroe experienced builder types - the last thing I built was over ten years ago and didn't have a motor, or undercarriege for that matter so excuse my ignorance here.

The Bell motor I've ordered has a 3mm shaft, which looks perfectly smooth in the picture. How do I attach the propeller to it if it doesn't have a thread?

Is there a preferred way of fitting the undercarrieage to the model?

Thanks,

Eifion

Tim Hooper29/04/2012 22:49:23
2859 forum posts
2363 photos

Eifon,

You can get a 3mm or a 3.17mm (1/8" prop adapter from most retailers. Try Giant Cod or BRC for starters......

I fitted the undercart to the belly plate with little p-clips (bent up from brass sheet), but you could use plastic clips or simply sew the undercarriage to the plate with copper wire.

tim

ian ludwell01/05/2012 10:47:06
127 forum posts
85 photos

Hello Eifon,

Just a couple of pics that may be of help

All can be purchased as Tim suggested from GC.

The prop adapters i choose are the ones that tighten onto the shaft as you screw the threaded cone to hold every thing together.

The bell motor in the pic is the 1650 kv running on 2s 1300 mAh Li-po turning a 9x6 slow fly prop with an 18A Esc.

But i have also purchased a 9x4.7 slow fly prop to try.

Hope this helps you a little.

Cheers...Ian

Eifion Herbert01/05/2012 13:40:34
197 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks fantastic, thanks for posting that Ian, makes perfect sense now.

Cheers

Eifion

Adrian Day19/11/2012 09:50:44
351 forum posts
101 photos

sorry replied to wrong part

Edited By Adrian Day on 19/11/2012 10:01:32

Adrian Day11/12/2012 00:14:07
351 forum posts
101 photos

Hi Eiffion looking good there ... nice and clean

long shot do you still a bare frame looking as I'm looking for the weight of the fus alone so i can compare the weight with my remodelled version

regards Adrian

Eifion Herbert13/12/2012 17:58:53
197 forum posts
81 photos

Hello Adrian,

Yes, much to my shame I still do have a largely bare fuse, reached a bit of a stop with the glazing, well not a stop really, just finding it fiddly to get neat, and therefore procrastinating, I must get back to it and finish her off.

So my fuse is largely bare, though I have covered the tail feathers in litespan, and installed the motor, ESC and two servos. In this configuration she tips the scale at 225g, or a shade under 8oz in old money.

Hope this is helpful

Eifion

PS While I'm here, does anyone have any tips on how best to attach the undercart?

Adrian Day13/12/2012 23:02:48
351 forum posts
101 photos

evening Eifion
it takes a little playing about to get the glazing right took me a little time to get right that's why I'm now building a second one now that i have learnt from my mistakes.. and i think i made a few but i have had a good teacher helping with electrics good sir Steve H . he Is a good man and from the way he works things out, i don't think there is much he don't know that's not worth knowing

thank you for the post on the weight of the model nice weight only 8 oz you have been working well on that one.
will put that with my model weight and see where it comes out over the top of your model.. see what i have added in the way of building my one with a joint wing.

as for your under cart if you take a look at my (Christmas Winner Build) you will see how i did my first but i would change the amount of copper plate and just make P clips out of copper plate so that you can fit a screw through. its lighter and looks good to .. If i remember right Tim's original model was done the same way look on page 2 of this post you can just see it in Tim's build pictures i think
regards Adrian

Eifion Herbert14/12/2012 13:26:47
197 forum posts
81 photos

Thanks Adrian,

That looks like a really neat way to attach the wheels. I'd been looking for some nylon saddle clamps but couldn't find them in a narrow enough gague for the wire I've used for the undercart. I think I will try the copper plate route.

Could I ask what thickness plate you used, and what tools and techniques were needed to form the correct shape? I'm ok with sticks, but have no experience of shaping metal.

Thanks,

Eifion

Adrian Day14/12/2012 14:12:38
351 forum posts
101 photos

your welcome Eifion
i got some 0.025 x 10mm x 150mm from my local model shop and cut it into 20mm lengths using tin snips folded it over with blunt pliers and soldered then i drilled a small hole once in place...but that's just me don't know if others do it different you could just drill it but in my books its not as secure as a little solder....

the wire for the landing gear is pretty simple i used pliers and bent it to shape over the plan.. most would make it in a vice .. cutting the piano wire i used a mini drill with mini disc in .. but i would guess a hacksaw would do it???

Hope that's a little help
Adrian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us