Forum sponsored by CML

Hitec Optic Throttle Channel Settings for ESC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Smith 729/06/2010 19:44:21
812 forum posts
28 photos
Hi,

I'm having some difficulty getting proper motor control with an unbranded ESC, it responds but only goes from about 50% power up to full power.   The ESC works OK with the radio gear supplied with the plane, but not properly on any other receiver as far as I can see.     Can anyone suggest suitable starting settings for EPA and subtrim on the Optic, settings least likely to confuse a crude ESC?

I've tried +/-100% and +/-125%, with no apparent difference.   Should I try asymetrical settings, or us sub trim or something?

Thanks, Tony S
Bruce Richards29/06/2010 21:41:35
1849 forum posts
Try this:

Set all trims to 0.

turn on TX and put throttle to max.
plug in flight battery making sure model is restrained in case it goes to fill power.  It should just beep at you to tell you it has gone to set up mode.

then close throttle.

ESC should then arm and throttle should control motor speed as it should.

Let us know how it goes.
Tony Smith 717/07/2010 20:52:35
812 forum posts
28 photos
Hi, only just got around to another proper try.  My ESC never beeps, but I went through the exact sequence you set out.   The ESC has an arm button, and if I press that at any time during the sequence the motor immediately starts which suggests to me that its not doing any form of setup.

By setting EPA to +/-125 and subtrim to -50 I can just get  the motor to stop, but its still making a whining whistle, so I think there's still power being applied.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!