Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Ultra Duo Plus 45 charger

Ultra Duo Plus 45 charger

first look..... - 3/8/10

Arron Davison02/08/2010 11:20:55
75 forum posts
12 photos
Hi guys just wondered what field charger to buy Bantum chamilion? Or any other u reckomend what's good or not cheers?
Tom Foreman02/08/2010 12:39:01
990 forum posts
597 photos
What do you want to charge and how quickly?

If it was just LiPo and A123 and you want to be able to charge up to 10A on  8 cells ( 8A on 10 cells) then I would recommend the Cell Pro 10s Charger, its my current favourite charger. They are expensive at £130 but you get a very safe and competent charger which will tell you the IR of the cells and you can connect it to your PC for Firmware updates and recording graphs on the charge rates of the batteries (if thats your thing) only annoying thing is having to buy additional adaptors for the balance connectors.

Tom
Arron Davison02/08/2010 13:08:32
75 forum posts
12 photos
It's an all rounder I need mate for trans Nimh nicad lead acid glo plug and the likes thanks for ur reply tho matey.
Aslan02/08/2010 13:47:54
451 forum posts
1 photos
You won't need a field charger for the lead acid,that's what you'll be using to power the charger. I use a Pro-Peak Xing by Ripmax,small and compact. Only for the NiCad/NiMH packs though. Charge the glow starts at home.
Vecchio Austriaco02/08/2010 13:49:39
1515 forum posts
728 photos
If you fly also electrics with some power and more than 3 cells I would recommend that one. I like it a lot, it balances batteries which are not too symmetrical very nice and you can charge all your variations of batteries you need - NiCd, NiMh, lead acid, ABC, LiPo.

LiPo up to 7 cells, which is normally enough. But: bring a good battery to the field - if you want to charge the big 6 cell 4000mAh it sucks 20A out of your field battery. I had sometimes to reduce the load current to keep my 65Ah lead battery alive... (High current draw breaks down the supply voltage - which shouldn't go below 10V on a 6 cell lead acid)

If you use only smaller batteries - there is the budget model. Also the accucell 6 can charge NiCd, NiMh, lead acid, ABC and LiPo (up to 6 cells). but it has only a quarter of the power in comparison to the hyperion 720i net. Also: if you like to discharge your LiPos to 60% storage level - both devices can do it, but with the low discharge current of the Accucell your evenings after coming home from the field get rather long....

I use both devices - and I am happy with both of them. The Accucell 6 is good value for money and if you are going not higher than 2200mAh 3 cell it is good enough. Also it is very small - it fits into my start box next to the Pb battery.

The Hyperion 720i net is a top product which should satisfy the needs of the average electric flyer for some years

VA

Aslan02/08/2010 14:06:23
451 forum posts
1 photos
A bit off topic here.... I discharge my Lipos to 34% for storage Vecchio,I only have a few electrics, so I am not too knowledgeable on the subject. Am i too low?
Ed Darter02/08/2010 17:01:12
396 forum posts
43 photos
Interesting thread, I'm about to invest in a new charger as I will shortly have a requirement to charge 5S packs. There seem to be quite a few chargers ont he market at anything from £50 to £200. I have now got to a point where I am actually going to make a spreadsheet of the ones I have seen, with the salient points all listed, and make a list of 'must have' features. I should then be able to at least narrow the choice down
Would be good if the mag did an article comparing a number of chargers. Sure it might put some in a better light than others but if conducted sensitively I think it would help a lot of people clear their thoughts as to what really matters for their application and whats just added 'fluff' thats not really of much use etc etc.

Ed
David Ashby - Moderator02/08/2010 17:08:19
11058 forum posts
1740 photos
619 articles
Tim wrote a helpful article on charger selection not long ago, here's  link but thanks Ed, might be worth considering as you say. 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 02/08/2010 17:09:53

Vecchio Austriaco02/08/2010 17:20:43
1515 forum posts
728 photos
Aslan,

reading through the instructions given by charger manufacturers but also from battery manufacturers LiPos should be charged to approximately 60% of their capacity if you do not use them for a longer period (what is a longer period? for Hyperion this is more than 2 days - others speak about a week). I normally charge batteries Friday night - if the weather forecast and the family plans have nothing against flying - and discharge or rather say bring them to storage level as empty batteries need charging - on Sunday night.
If this really helps to keep the batteries alive for a longer time I don't know, but I record less dead batteries since I do so.
Reno Racer02/08/2010 17:23:34
1138 forum posts
168 photos

Key is the battery you will use to power the charger.

I have a great Turnigy GT6??? 200 watt 6S charger that does all battery types, including A123 and allows me to charge upto 10A. Problem is only a car battery has enough oomph to allow this. my 12v 7ah gel acid battery has the life sucked out of it when i try to charge a 4S 4000mh lipo at 4A. from my charger when powered by this at the field.

I've taken to just buying more lipos (GC or HK) and charging at home, much quicker, particularly since I can charge 2 x 3S lipos at the same time.

Aslan02/08/2010 17:32:32
451 forum posts
1 photos
You might like to check out the Lipro Quad 6. It charges 4 batteries of any denomination at the same time. Has loads of features also. Along with all the other safety bells and whistles, you can balance charge Lipos - charge as per normal- charge for storage etc. supplied with lots of extras, and cheap too, considering what you get. I've been using it for quite a while now with no issues. All my other chargers collected over the years now gather dust.......  Very cheap from the Orient-where they are made of course- and relabeled for the western world at huge cost...... Apparently.
Aslan02/08/2010 17:39:51
451 forum posts
1 photos
Aha! I'm talking 3 or 4 months,as I fly the electrics in Spain on my visits. So maybe I'm safe. Thanks for your reply Vecchio. I have read that there is no need to discharge Lipos, unless for storage for a long period. I actually use the auto charge/discharge option on my charger, with the result of reducing the cell voltage to 3.85v and capacity to 34% but thought it best to ask when you mentioned 60% for storage. Thanks again.
Ed Darter02/08/2010 22:29:03
396 forum posts
43 photos
Just read the article David, very useful but would still be nice to see some of the more popular ones, or even cheaper ones that we may unnecessarily dismiss, put through their paces to see how accurate they charge / balance. Where I'm not so clear for example is what is different between the cheaper ones and the top end ones, is it longevity, accuracy of cell balance etc because specs wise they look pretty identical at times.

Ed

Edited By Ed Darter on 02/08/2010 22:29:30

Tim Mackey02/08/2010 22:58:22
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
If the specs are genuinely the same then theres every reasonable expectation that they will "do the same job".
However, that's a bit like saying a Travant and a Rolls Royce are both items of machinery that can transport people along a highway.Thats true, but I think its a fair bet that the Roller will do it somewhat quieter,easier, smoother, and likely longer and more reliably than the dear ol' Travant.
Of course, there is also perceived value in the badge
I have never actually recommended the high priced big name units, and am a great believer in VFM - there are several examples within the hobby where the old adage " you get what you pay for" doesn't always ring true - LiPo batteries being a classic example.
On your note about items such as balancing accuracy and so on, theres some truth in that - however I remain unconvinced that the high premium one may pay for incredible balancing of cells in most packs is really justifiable.
I have experienced no issues whatsoever with some of the budget units which only balance to maybe, a few hundred millivolts or so - frankly I think we are all in danger of believing the hype just a little bit too much on such things sometimes - heck I am evn still using some 6 year old 1st generation packs that dont even have a balancing lead on them!
Former Member03/08/2010 01:37:50
3577 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Tim Mackey03/08/2010 11:10:49
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
According to the industry experts yes. Overall life span of the battery will be improved if they are stored at less than full ( around 50% or so ).
Lee Smalley04/08/2010 16:54:07
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles
Tim wrote "I have never actually recommended the high priced big name units, and am a great believer in VFM "

AKA "tight"

Tim Mackey04/08/2010 19:38:12
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Pensioner mate
Chris Channon06/08/2010 16:16:14
554 forum posts
Hi Arron, Galaxy models do a brilliant field charger, it will do Tx, Rx, and Glow start all at the same time, no lcd screen , just a basic good value charger, much like the old pro-peak multi Q.

Have a look on their webby site,

Hope this helps a bit

Chris

( sorry forgot, it is just over £20.00 )

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!