By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

JP 5Amp Regulators

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rod Bird16/09/2010 20:29:52
5 forum posts
Anyone else had problems with the new 5Amp regulators from Ripmax? They come in a small black plastic package at 6v and 4.8v both at 5Amps. I have just blown my electronic ignition having fitted a 4.8v example only to discover it is outputting near 10.5v
Rod Bird18/09/2010 09:00:29
5 forum posts
Well an update and correction. First off it is J Perkins that distributes the new regulators. It turns out that the labels are upsidedown on the 4.8v regulators. The 6v ones are normal.

When I say upside down I mean that the wires going in on the left of the unit are normally (convention) input.  So looking at most electronic devices input is on the left output is on the right.

The plugs and sockets are on the right ends so it works if you keep those. If you cut them off like I did you need to be pretty careful. The 6v unit works left to right as per the label. The 4.8v unit works right to left.

So far through my own stupidity it has cost me a tail servo and a petrol ignition unit. Why? Well rather than output 0v when it is wrongly connected it passes the full voltage applied. Not a good design.

Hope this helps other hash bash folks lik me.
Tim Mackey18/09/2010 09:29:09
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Thanks for the update Rod....have you contacted JP about the issue?
Rod Bird18/09/2010 12:07:01
5 forum posts
Yes I fired off an email this morning, personally I think they should recall and relabel the 4.8v version. Hash bash folks like me won't be reading this post before installing the unit, most likely after.
Essjay18/09/2010 16:14:42
578 forum posts
1 photos
Cheers for the heads-up Rod. I received a JP 4.8V regulator in the post yesterday. Not opened it yet, but I will now - to mark which end's which

Steve
Rod Bird21/09/2010 16:43:54
5 forum posts
I hate to continue this thread but I'm not having much luck with these devices. I purchased two more 4.8v regulators. The first I fitted to a Raptor 60 Heli. The second went in to power the ignition on a 30cc petrol plane. I also had a 6v version powering the radio on the plane.

The Heli spooled up lifted off three inches then a puff of smoke appeared from the regulator on the side of the Heli, the servos jerked into strange positions. Full back elevator and fortunately, throttle full off. I got a boom strike but thought myself very lucky.

Cause was probably down to me running a standard servo at the wrong frame rate. The regulator blew like a fuse.

The second incident involved the plane. Range check and first flight were fine, I began to relax. I have used the previous Perkins 3 Amp regulators without incident.

However, second flight the engine began misfiring and I landed. This time I found that the 4.8v regulator was working intermittently. You could twist the case and make it go on and off.

Opening it up to have a look explained things. While the device has pretty secure wire in wire out connections I found that the board components are not supported in any way. I would have expected to find some bonding or glue to secure the components from vibration.

In this case the RF Choke, a heavy ferrite ring wound with heavy copper wire, was supporting itself on the two copper wires. It had obviously been resonating and the wire had snapped at the solder join.

So in addition to getting the wires the correct way round I would strongly suggest that anyone using these devices sorts out the component support.

I am not knowledgeable enough to say for sure what you should use to bond the components but I know you would not use silicone unless it is the acid free sort. A dab of UHU Poor might do the trick.

My choice is to consign all of these regulators to the bin.

I have not had any response from Perkins. Perhaps RCME can elicit a response and keep modelers informed.

Could an Admin or Mod remove the erroneous reference to Ripmax in the title?
Bruce Richards21/09/2010 17:37:11
1849 forum posts
Thread title updated as requested.
Richard Welch25/03/2016 19:26:53
11 forum posts
5 photos

I have a jp 6volt reg 5A ( 5509889 ) when I draw 1.6amp the voltage drop is high, it does not seem to give a good voltage under load. my transmitter starts bleeping, low voltage on receiver

Denis Watkins25/03/2016 20:52:11
4333 forum posts
104 photos

Be careful chaps, as you have found, voltage regulators do not tolerate back EMF well. An electronic ignition contains a coil which will happily throw back enough of a kick to damage these little devices. Never use a regulator as a shortcut where a correct battery could be used. Adjustable regulators are available which are easily set up to odd voltages. Also, consider using an hefty 5Amp diode, in series to protect the bits from stray current. Best advice is to fit the correct number of suitable cells, to provide the correct DC. Any added components discourage accurate voltages, and damaging current is provided by the high battery may that we choose to install. E.g, fit an 800 mAh battery and your circuit will never reach 1 amp. In the case of the 5amp ? example, where on an aeroplane do we need 5A? 1A would surely run servos all day. Forget step up, or step down voltages, and fit the correct DC supply, namely a regular battery.

Frank Skilbeck25/03/2016 21:10:39
4681 forum posts
101 photos

Denis you are right 1A would run unloaded servos all day, but the issue is if you use a battery with a high internal resistance, i.e. high capacity AA cells or AAA cells then the voltage will sag under load, say flap servos, leading to a the receiver cutting in and out due to low voltage. I've gone over to LiFe batteries or Sub C Nimh cells on my larger planes as these maintain their output voltage under load.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!