Articles

Miss Lizzy

Miss Lizzy

The plan build article by Peter Miller - 28/1/11

Nev26/10/2010 17:14:52
592 forum posts
221 photos
Hi David.

Any chance you could put up Peters, Miss Lizzy build article. I have the plan and the wing looks straight forward but I could do with a bit of insight on how the front end of the fus goes together.

Thanks

Doug Ireland27/10/2010 09:13:15
2088 forum posts
42 photos
Hi Nev, the original build article was in the September 2005 issue. I don't have that one but I'm sure it can be obtained from "My Hobby Store"
Nev27/10/2010 13:42:18
592 forum posts
221 photos
Thanks Doug.

I did look on the My Hobby Store site but it’s not listed as being available. I’ll give them a call when I get chance.
Peter Miller30/10/2010 09:13:24
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles
I will see if I can find the text in my CD files, if I can you can PM me you email address and I can send it as an attachment.
Jim Carss30/10/2010 11:45:26
2069 forum posts
80 photos
Nev,

I have built 6 Lizzys and I still have the build article  from the mag.

If Peter cant find his info. you are welcometo this one,If Lizzy the 7th come along i reckon it will go together no problem.

Feel free to send me a PM with your address and I'll pop it in the post for you

JIm 
kc30/10/2010 12:50:13
6058 forum posts
169 photos
If these out of print articles for plans were available online it might encourage a few more people to buy the plan. Especialy as UK publishers do not include instruction articles when you buy the plans.  ( Ithink you can buy photocopies if you know what date & magazine )

Peter Miller30/10/2010 13:45:18
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles
Sorry, I have just been through all my files on CD. I found all the photographs but fort some reason Miss Lzzy is the only plan for which I cannot find the text.

Nev08/11/2010 11:45:06
592 forum posts
221 photos
Thank's for the offer of help chaps. I have been away for a few days hence the late reply. I have had a chance to give the plan a good looking at and think I should be ok with the build. I’ve seen some of your handiwork in the other treads Jim and if my Lizzy gets anywhere close to looking as good as yours I will be well chuffed.

If you don’t mind though Jim I would like to take you up on the offer of a copy of the article, I’ll PM my address. I have never built from a plan before although I have built quite a few kits. So if the article suggests a build sequence, it would help.
Jim Carss09/11/2010 10:57:34
2069 forum posts
80 photos
Nev,
Its in the post this morning, just noticed the last piece on finishing the wing is missing but its straightforward and you will have no problems i'm sure.

Any problems get in touch.

Jimbo 
Nev10/11/2010 16:35:24
592 forum posts
221 photos
Thanks Jim, much appreciated. There are a couple of tips in there that will speed thing up and stop a bit of head scratching. I did actually make a start yesterday and made the wing tips, just to see how they went. I’m quite impressed with how strong they turned out. 
I will scan the article so if you want your copy back, please let me know. I should be able to e-mail the scanned copy if anybody else is interested.
Jim Carss10/11/2010 17:22:00
2069 forum posts
80 photos
Nev.
Please keep the article,I'm very well aquainted with Miss Lizzy now.

A future project will be to turn her into a bi-plane,I think she'll look very much like a Stearman.

Laminated wing tips are very stromg.

Jim
Peter Miller10/11/2010 18:23:13
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles
A biplane Miss Lizzy would be great. Look forward to seeing that
kc10/11/2010 18:43:04
6058 forum posts
169 photos
A small Aeromaster lookalike?

Nev.  Are you missing the last page with control movements and the advice on which hinges to use etc?  If so send me a PM.
Richard Putnam 110/12/2010 21:42:00
61 forum posts
4 photos

Hi,

My winter project I want to build a Miss Lizzy. Well actually I have designed a Laird Meteor. But Miss Lizzy seems to fit the bill and all the design work has been done for me!

I want my version to be 60 " wing span I think that is an increase in size of 17%.

To suit an Enya 60FS that has been looking for a good home for some time.

My question is If I leave the dihedral at zero (i.e. no dihedral) will it have any detrimental effects on the flying characteristics besides not being as stable!

Richard.

Peter Miller11/12/2010 08:46:13
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles
Hi Richard.

I doubt if you would notice any difference between a model with the dihedral as drawn and one with no dihedral.

Personally I think that Miss Lizzy is much closer to the Wedell Williams series or the Tavelaire Mystery Ship but it is based or at least influnced by that era's racing aircraft.

I would be tempted to do a Turner Ring Free Meteor ( and specifically that version as it doesn't use spats) but the mid wing is a pain to do..
Jim Carss11/12/2010 11:20:44
2069 forum posts
80 photos
Richard,this is my Lizzy scaled up to 64" with an old irvine 61 and she flies a dream,one mistake I made was putting the u/c in the wing,she was prone to tipping on her nose so I now have the u/c just in front of the wing l/e as per plan,
Richard Putnam 111/12/2010 18:09:50
61 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Peter and Jim,

Thanks for the quick response. I will build a flat wing version, thanks Peter. So far I have drawn out two designs, and as you say Peter the mid wing is very awkward as the Meteor has a short nose and the tank protrudes past the leading edge and also sitting the wing mid fuselage you loose a lot of strength.

A high wing or a low wing is a lot more practical. I also like the design of Miss Lizzy’s fuselage.

I was going to make a true round/oval fuz it would be light in weight but very difficult to build.

Your idea of a basic box and then add the side stringers is much more practical.

Jim: What a beautiful finish you have achieved. Congratulations on a stunning aircraft.

Is that a Flair cowl? My flair cowl isn’t long enough may be you can tell me what cowl you used?

My engine will not be as powerful as yours Jim and it is a heavy lump I might even lop an inch off the nose! I am sure I will fit servos in the wings, as is my usual build method.

Many thanks for all the info and any other tips you can think of, all would be appreciated.

Regards for now,

Richard. 1066 MFC.

Peter Miller11/12/2010 20:03:08
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles
You know, everyone seems to build my models better than I do and I know that a lot of people fly them better than I do.

I really should take more care. Still, it does seem that I can design them OK.

One of these days I am going to design a fuselage that has to be fully planked. How is that for sadism
Jim Carss11/12/2010 21:44:47
2069 forum posts
80 photos
Peter / Richard,

Peter,bring on the planking and the balsa cement, I remember it well.

Richard, It is a Flair Magnatilla cowl and it is short,if you look at the pic. i have a cheat line of aluminium tape to make up the distance and the cowl is spaced off by 6mm to allow for cooling..I aslo have a baffle in the cowl to aid cooling.
The old Irvine 61 has a home made in cowl silencer and it works very well and the power is just right,the roll rate is very fast and she sits well in the air.
 I think she would make a great bipe and that is on the cards as a future project.

Peter,just away from topic,does this jog your memory,somethig i'm doing to keep me busy till xmas.

Jim Carss11/12/2010 21:50:17
2069 forum posts
80 photos
This is Lizzy the 4th. awaiting her cowl.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us