Forum sponsored by CML

Sensible LIPO charge rate(s)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Smith 728/10/2010 18:52:36
812 forum posts
28 photos
 Hi,

I understand the C ratings for charge and discharge.  My question really is how  far to trust them when charging batteries.   For example if the battery says 2C charge rate, for 1300mAh then would it be sensible to halve that and not exceed around one amp?

Cheers,  Tony S (who doesn't want to burn his house down)
Swissflyer28/10/2010 19:17:33
162 forum posts
41 photos

Hi Tony,

I have a similar feeling about the house

Despite having several packs marked “can be charged at 2C" I stick with 1C charge rates.

I also make sure they are in a saucepan with a lid on a heat resistant surface when I charge them.

That said, I have been using LiPo’s since 2005 & never had a problem.
That will come the day I get overconfident & neglect safety precautions.

For what it is worth I run the European distribution for a range of Korean built vacuum cleaning robots. We power them with 4S2P 4’400mAh LiIon batteries (they clean for 3hours). Again the engineers go slowly on the charging (3hrs) safety has to be first around the house.

Mark

Tim Mackey28/10/2010 20:01:36
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
If its says 5C thats what mine get!
I dont take any special precautions over and above any other charge.
1C charge ?  - monitor it  whilst i am doing something else in the same room
5C charge ?  - ditto
The end.
simon burch28/10/2010 21:13:21
754 forum posts
19 photos
Usually charge mine at 1 C if I'm not in a rush. Have got a few which you could charge at 5C, but unless you have a pretty decent charger, you will struggle to do this.

Normally charge mine in the garage on the concrete floor. Tend to check all the cell  voltages before leaving the lipo charging, and will normally pop in every 20 minutes to see if everything is okay.
john haz28/10/2010 21:19:48
360 forum posts
32 photos
Tony,

i have only been flying for 11 months & the first 6 of that were with 2200/3s only, but i now have quite a collection of batteries & charge them as follows;

2200 2c I charge at about 3.6A

1500 1c   1.5A

1300 5c   3.6A

1500 5C  3.6A

3000 5x   6A

I know the 5c's could take a lot more but it's easier to leave two chargers set on 3.6 & one of them on 1.5 -  makes my life easier & I often come home with 8-10 needing charge but manage the lot in a couple of hours.

I (usually) am in the same room whilst they are on charge but take no special precautions, just pop them on & listen for the bleeps.

Not had one single problem as yet, not even one getting warm  (but the one puffed battery i had was soon disposed of, not taking chances to save a few quids). 
Tony Smith 728/10/2010 21:30:51
812 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Tim Mackey - Administrator on 28/10/2010 20:01:36:
If its says 5C thats what mine get!

Cheers.   I was a little worried about taking the manufacturer's ratings at face value.  OK I don't want the charging to take longer than necessary, but equally I don't want to blow up my battery for the sake of saving half an hour.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!