Seagull Yak 54 (91 Deluxe Series)

The building (Putting together of)!!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ross Clarkson31/10/2010 10:11:51
1438 forum posts
106 photos
Hi,

My early Xmas to myself is a Seagull Yak 54 Deluxe Series ARTF which i took delivery of recently. It was recommended by a fellow forumite on a different thread and i must say, i couldn't have been happier when i opened the box and saw it for the first time!! Pure class.
I have had one Hangar 9 plane before which i thought was good, but this is just beautifully made and built with top hardware included. I have never seen or owned a Seagull model but i can say with confidence straight from the box, i bet i will definitely own another one!!
This will be my fourth model airplane (the 3rd, VMAR Bulldog biting the bullet dramatically!!!) and it will be a long term build (Putting together for the purists!) because i intend to hone my skills on the Calmato 60 to a point where i will be 100% confident with this new monster. Also, i have been nailing the Sim quite hard recently too and i want everything on this airplane to be 100% correct, built properly and set-up precisely over the winter period so expect bits and bobs being completed on it over a long period.

Specs:
Wingspan: 63.4in.
Wing Area: 846sq.in.
Weight: 8.4-9.9lbs.
Length: 61.4in.
Engine size: .91-1.25cu.in.
6 Channel with 6 Digital Servos.

I will be using my DX7 with Ar7000 Rx recovered from the Bulldog and a 6v Nimh battery. Servos will be DS821' also recovered from Bulldog.
I have not decided 100% on the engine yet but this will more than likely be a Xmas present from someone so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A few photos on delivery, as you can see, each main part packaged beautifully and although wingspan is 63", the size of it is huge as it is semi-scale!! First thing i noticed, was how good it looks and how well built it is, it feels super solid and extremely well made.

Decals and box.

Ross Clarkson31/10/2010 10:27:56
1438 forum posts
106 photos
After a couple of days of swooning over it and reading the manual several times, which is good but not perfect should i say, i then set to the task of gluing all of the Cyano hinges.
Honestly, this is one of those models you just have to have a peep at when walking past it every single time! Just beautiful.
Now, this is something i have never had to do, so after some inquisitive questions on this site and a few PM's to a fellow member, i got to it.
I must say, i was quite daunted by this task as i realise how important control surfaces are to an airplane staying airborne!!!!!

Cyano bottle with thin applicator in hand, i started with the horizontal tailplane.

Elevator removed, hinge removed, half way point on hinge marked, Tpin placed in halfway on hinge, hinge replaced, elevator replaced back up to hinge, Tpin removed, elevator pushed in tightly and then deflected one side and Cyano applied to hinge. Process repeated for other side and elevator wiggled to work Cyano in and keep movement.
Everything seemed to have worked well and after the glue was cured a strong tug confirmed this.
I was worried about the small gap (About 1mm) which i couldnt seem to avoid and the manual said leave NO gap, but i am assured this should be fine!

Same procedure applied to Fin/Rudder and Wing/Ailerons.

I must say, this process gave me a lot of satisfaction and i know it is an ARTF but it really felt i was building it more than a usual ARTF! Maybe a plan build next time!!!! ha ha.  
I just hope they are ok but i suppose time will tell. 
Stephen Grigg31/10/2010 10:45:08
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
Hi Ross,the procedure you have adopted is the way I do my hinges on the Seagull  ARTF Ive previously put together and Ive never had a hinge problem.Looks an excellant model in the Seagull catalogue,and Ive always been impressed with the Seagulls quality for the money.The only thing I tend to change is the plastic fuel pipes in the tank.You have to heat them to bend  them and mine always seem to go flat and cause a resistance.Ive always got some metal ones to use instead..Yuo have become adventurous with this model,lets hope it lasts longer than the Bulldog.
Ross Clarkson31/10/2010 13:12:38
1438 forum posts
106 photos
Cheers Stephen, yes i agree the model is definitely well worth the money, bargain in my eyes!
Thanks for the tip about the fuel lines. I will swap them with my brass ones from the Bulldog.
It wont end up like the Bulldog, i promise. That was just stupidity on my behalf and trying to do things i shouldn't have been doing at my skills stage!
Ross Clarkson31/10/2010 13:19:09
1438 forum posts
106 photos
On to the undercarriage:

All items needed.

This job was quite fiddly and needed a bit of time spent on working out which parts fitted each wheel spat better than the other, but as i had all the time in the world this was no issue.
After i had decided which parts fitted best in each spat, the first job was to remove some of the wheel spat to make way for the axle.
This was done using a model knife and area cut away was as per the manual dimensions.

It then turned out that the recommended area cut out was not big enough to accommodate the wheel axle screw, so i had to open up the gap a bit.
Then wheel placed on axle, collets placed in position tight to wheel but not too tight as to stop any movement of the wheel and thread locked. Be careful to check that the wheel when turned does not contact the Ply block, i had to put an extra washer in place to take it away from the Ply Block.
Once this was done, a trial fit of all parts was done before applying Cyano to the Ply blocks and gluing them in place. 
Then the undercarriage legs were bolted and thread locked on.

Double checked that the wheels were moving freely and not rubbing anywhere.
Ross Clarkson31/10/2010 13:26:53
1438 forum posts
106 photos
And at this point, i just couldn't resist attaching what i had just produced to the magnificent fuselage!
Another quick point, i did have to file one of the undercarriage arms screw holes slightly as the screw just wouldn't go through and thread straight without it. Took only 2 minutes though and was pore like just removing the paint layer from the hole.
4 x bolts, thread locked, securely tightened and undercarriage complete.

Canopy.

More to come soon hopefully.

Cheers,

Ross.
BB31/10/2010 17:39:52
1182 forum posts
32 photos
Keenly following & bookmarked your thread Ross.  I bought one earlier in the year.  But as yet, haven't started to put it together. 

Nice piccys

BB
David Ashby - Moderator31/10/2010 19:00:30
10935 forum posts
1681 photos
613 articles
It's a model I've often contemplated Ross, be interested to see how it flies/what you think. Seagull certainly have the build quality side of things sewn up these days.
Ross Clarkson01/11/2010 15:48:43
1438 forum posts
106 photos
BB, get it out and start building, it is beautiful.
Will let you know David, i never realised how good Seagull were but they have come up trumps.

Stephen Grigg01/11/2010 18:28:41
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
How much was it Ross?
Ross Clarkson02/11/2010 13:08:05
1438 forum posts
106 photos
Stephen,
It was £120 and worth every penny as far as i am concerned.
Lee Smalley02/11/2010 14:40:18
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles
Ps Guys it flies un-beliveably well no coupling in the knife edge and its very tolerant of abuse (ie numptys like me)
Lee Smalley02/11/2010 14:42:05
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles
wick thin cyno in those canopy lugs and slots Ross!!!  you need to harden them otherwise the vibration wears them and the canopy fit becomes sloppy after 100 flights !!
Stephen Grigg02/11/2010 16:34:16
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
Sounds good value to me Ross,how does it  compare to the Cap 232 Lee?
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/11/2010 17:04:29
6730 forum posts
191 photos
I'd be interested to hear which engine you decide on Ross....I had a Graupner Extra 300 which was 63" span....the designated motor for that one was a 60 but I slipped a 90 2 stroke up front by accident & it was very happy going up & up & up & up & up in a vertical stylee.....not overpowered but certainly "more than enough" if you get my meaning!!!

I didn't weigh it but I would guess it was around the 6-7lb mark.

Your YAK seems a similar size but a good bit heavier & recommends a larger motor so as I say I'll be interested to hear what you eventually fit!!

26cc Petrol perhaps??
Lee Smalley02/11/2010 17:09:23
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles
I have only flown the glens cap 232 so i can't really compare the Yak if anything is a bit more of a pussycat around the stall i found the cap very easy to snap at low speeds (this is what its is designed to do) so i think it will be easier to get on with for the lesser experienced, but that said if you fly it like a trainer it will bite you!   i have a108 in mine ASP 2 stroke it could do with a tad more for the verticals 
Lee Smalley02/11/2010 17:18:45
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles
can i just upset you i picked mine up for £109!!   utter bargin !! just managed to pick seagul superstar up for the same price my 30cc petrol is going in that, the quality of the kit for the price is utterly ridiculous 

Edited By Lee Smalley on 02/11/2010 17:19:45

Stephen Grigg02/11/2010 20:25:22
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
Interesting Lee,thanks for your help,Ill  wait and see how Ross gets on.
Ross Clarkson03/11/2010 15:45:18
1438 forum posts
106 photos
£109 Lee??? Ha Ha, that is a steal!!!!
Cheers for all the advice so far.

Steve, i have decided on a Thunder Tigre F-130S engine which will be going in it.
Should have enough power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking about Petrol but i have never had a 4 stroke yet so i want to learn how these work and feel first before i step up to petrols!
Lee Smalley03/11/2010 17:13:32
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles
just bin that red plastic spinner mate that's the only rubbish bit in the kit everything else is top!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us