By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Biplane Thread

For all things with two wings one on top of the other!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/11/2010 00:20:05
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Hi,

the idea here is to have a thread for anything to do with biplanes - full size or model!

Pictures of models, kit reports, general chat, flying tips (get that rudder in use!) anything really!

Its late but I'll try to post some pics of my bipes tomorrow! Still then - over to you guys
Wiltshire Flyer19/11/2010 00:38:03
1565 forum posts
477 photos
Nice thread! well here is a biplane i owned quite a long time ago.

I bought it second hand and the covering (solartex i think it was) looked a little stained so i stripped it down and recovered it with solarfilm (see before and after).

I don't know what make it is or anything as it was second hand and i never flew it after my funfly incident! as i had a model confidence crisis for a long time after.

In the end i think i sold it to a neighbour who hung it in his shed i believe! he wasnt a modeller he just liked the look of it i think.

Pic below is before recovering

And after

Eck19/11/2010 00:46:21
660 forum posts
124 photos
Some piccies of my E-Flite Pitts Model 12....I know it's electric and probably doesn't count, but it does have the right number of wings!

Flies like a dream, too!
Ross Clarkson19/11/2010 01:35:50
1438 forum posts
106 photos
Good stuff guys and nice phots.

As i know pretty well nothing about biplanes and this is a general chat thread about all things to do with them.
Apart from the obvious (2 wings), what are the main differences, if any, in flight that a biplane might have over a monoplane? 
Wiltshire Flyer19/11/2010 01:49:57
1565 forum posts
477 photos
Hi Ross 

From my observations, a biplane has much greater lift with having two wings so it's able to keep much greater control response at low speeds than a mono plane.

They are generally very light and stable too.

And no-one can deny that they look so nice and gracefull!!!....oohh!!!! and you can get very attractive ladys to sit on your wings too!

Not a very technical observation i'm afraid!
Ross Clarkson19/11/2010 01:52:40
1438 forum posts
106 photos
Ha Ha, brilliant! I like them already

So they are probably a tad easier to fly than monoplane would you say?
Mike L19/11/2010 08:19:41
53 forum posts
9 photos
This is my Gloster Gamecock from Gordon Whitehead plan, just finished and had maiden flight last week. Saito 91FS power upfront, 11Ilbs all up and flies well.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/11/2010 08:29:12
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Wow, the Gamecock is lovely Mike. In fact all the models so far have been very nice - must get my camera out!

Eck - all bipes welcome - electric, glow, petrol, full-size, gliders! Everyone is included.

Regarding flying them Ross...easier? Well yes and no. They fly slower and generally have plenty of lift (although that isn't true of say a Pitts). Two things a lot of them experience is poor aileron response - especially if they only have ailerons on one wing - and adverse yaw - so you have to use co-ordinated rudder in the trurns along with the ailerons.

I wouldn't say they were easier or harder - but they are different!

BEB 

Allan Bennett19/11/2010 08:36:15
1540 forum posts
39 photos
One important thing is that they slow down quicker than monoplanes if the engine cuts, or is cut.  So in a deadstick landing you'll need a steeper approach than with a monoplane to keep your speed up.  Also, with the engine running, you may need to maintain more throttle during landing than you're used to doing with a monoplane.
Dusty19/11/2010 08:41:50
1632 forum posts
560 photos

Love flying this!
Stephen Grigg19/11/2010 08:41:50
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

Stringalong
Stephen Grigg19/11/2010 08:44:49
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

Pasadena Special
Mike L19/11/2010 08:49:17
53 forum posts
9 photos
Agree with Allan, I had a Gladiator from the BT plan and it was like the Gamecock, you need all the power to get them up, but can poodle around at scale speed once up, (awesome sight and sound!!),  but they don't float once the power is cut for landing. Having said that I have a DB tiger moth (71" span) weighs 71/2 lbs and that does float!  Obviously a few more pounds and smaller span makes the difference, but all machines are stable enough for my limited skill.
Chris Bott - Moderator19/11/2010 09:06:03
6655 forum posts
1381 photos
1 articles
My two babies

Tiger and Cirrus Moths from DB Sport and Scale.

Bob Cotsford19/11/2010 10:13:24
7972 forum posts
439 photos

48" Bucker Jungmeister, OS61 power from the Don Stothers plan.   The only thing it doesn't like is doing outside loops, possibly because it's built like a brick outhouse.
I seem to accumulate wings, at present I've also got a Mini Panic, Veron 1 1/2 Strutter, Baronette (ok, it's a biplane and a bit) and a dodgy Gladiator rescued from a basket case CAP kit build that someone abandoned.  Probably just as well they gave up in view of the things I found under the covering.
Ultymate19/11/2010 10:15:50
1700 forum posts
62 photos
I bought this Ultimate second hand towards the end of the summer and initially had some engine issues to sort but all's well now and I love it. All the above comments are true reference the high drag factor if you do get an unexpected deadstick then you have less time to plan your return to the strip.

I used to fly IMAC comps with a 1/3 scale Ultimate but basically biplanes have fallen out of favour both in full size and model aerobatics comps, the judges tending to say that they don't present as well as monoplanes. Consequently I've been flying a succession of Extras Edges and Sukhois in IMAC but now I've decided to fly less comps I decided to buy this Ultimate when it came up for sale locally to me 

Simon Chaddock19/11/2010 10:49:52
5440 forum posts
2853 photos
Nothing like as beautiful as any of the above but this is my small (24") and rather odd "aerodynamic equivalent" of a Sopwith Pup.
Built simply to test the feasibility both of the power train and control system as well as to find out what it would be like to fly.

It has no U/C, hence the folding prop.
At just over 5oz with a 800mAh 2s LiPo it flies, or rather floats, about  quite well but "penetration" into any wind - definitely not!
Eck19/11/2010 13:13:28
660 forum posts
124 photos
I saw these lovely bipes at the Angus Model Flying Club's inaugural open day in August. Pictures are by the gorgeous and talented (not to say tolerant!) Mrs. Eck

Doesn't it make you sick to see how talented some folks are?

Stephen Grigg19/11/2010 14:51:45
8691 forum posts
1128 photos
My Puppeteer with an OS 56 Alpha,seems a perfect combination

Lindsay Todd19/11/2010 15:04:53
1698 forum posts
1702 photos

BEB do you recognise this?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us