Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Debutante

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lindsay Todd16/01/2011 15:41:13
1661 forum posts
1659 photos
That's interesting Danny, they are sullivan snakes, been around and used for donkey's years, never heard that, but in the UK i guess we wouldn't wold we.
Danny Fenton16/01/2011 16:03:09
8515 forum posts
3444 photos
No quite
Though my Chippie was strangely out of trim at Barkston the other week when flying in zero temps. makes you think........
Ton van Munsteren16/01/2011 18:24:14
1265 forum posts
3283 photos
Yes the sullivan snakes need some trim adjustment when the temp go's up or down.

There is also the option of using a steel inner rod in the sullivan inner snake.

Ton 
Peter Miller16/01/2011 19:13:39
9120 forum posts
1048 photos
10 articles
Most snakees will expand and contract with temperature changes. I have had some horrible trim changes

Dubro Laser Rods distributed by J. Perkins are very stable and do not cause trim changes. I tend to use them more these days.
Tim Hooper16/01/2011 19:39:54
2824 forum posts
2346 photos
This is looking really classy! 

I'm not much of a fan of plastic snakes (for the temperature issues), and would rather use a straight, carbon-fibre pushrod if possible.

tim
Lindsay Todd22/01/2011 21:24:14
1661 forum posts
1659 photos
With lousy weather outside I managed to make some more progress today
Using a cowl from Vortex I found the depth to be shy by 10mm for a comfortable fit for the OS52FS I intend to fit so built up the front by 12mm to accomodate the required clearance, Trimed the cowl crudely to size and test fitted.

With that done its time to cut out wing ribs and make a start on the wing, the ribs took a while but the assembly seemed to progress nicely until it just got too cold in the workshop.

Spars, ribs, u/c doublers and aileron cut out trailing edge stock all glued. Next job is trailing edge sheeting strip and then the leading edge. in this case I am building around the main 3mm marine ply spar joinerwhich is glued to the rear of the spars, although I will complete the sheeting to top and bottom of the first panel before starting the second.
more soon
Lindsay

Lindsay Todd27/02/2011 20:21:20
1661 forum posts
1659 photos
Well reason for delay in post was an accident in the workshop, that caused major damage to the part built wing that resulted in me having to start the build again, thats what you get for overloading a shelf with spray paint tins - doh! Anyway I decided to bite the bullit and get Slec to cnc cut a new set of ribs in lite-ply which arrived just 48hrs after ordering and cost under £30 including p&p. Finally this weekend got a chance to make some progress again.
All pretty simple stuff, pin the lower spar and slot and glue, just needed to checkfor square every now and then. I left the aileron trailing edge full depth for stability whilst building and will trim this back later. The 6mm square at the rear of the ribs will also be removed later, it just help keep things square.
Progress pretty quick and 1.5mm sheeting glued in place from mid point on the top spar back.This leaves the leading edge open as I need access still for the uc mountings.
Wing underside now ready, uc blocks slotted in place and marked up ready to be cut to size before glueing, as you might be able to tell, these have be resserected from the unfortunate first wing. Rear block is more cosmetic than structural so no need for significant reinforcement. Next job, complete rear sheeting from spar back, mout uc blocks and complete leading edge.
Lindsay

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator28/02/2011 13:08:36
15339 forum posts
1409 photos
Looking good Lindsay. Pity about the accident - but hey ho you're back on track!

BEB
Lindsay Todd05/03/2011 17:31:49
1661 forum posts
1659 photos
Decided to completely sheet the wing with 1.5 balsa, U/C blocks have doubler for added support to legs and have some additional bracing around ribs to the spar for added strength.
Finally remove support nibs from front of ribs, trim leading edge with a razor plane and lightly sand ready for sheeting. Made a note of the position of the U/C blocks centre line position. Centre front ribs are spaced with a 6mm balsa rib as this will take the wing dowel.
Wing tips are jigged so that they are angled slightly up to meet the top surface at the tip, this is purely for styling rather than any aerodynamic benefit. Structure follows the simple centre core of 2mm sheet with bracing top and bottom. I use aliphatic glue for such structures that need to be shaved and sanded as it proves easier to work with later if a bit slow on the drying time.
When dry the top is sand flush with the top surface of the wing
Quick test fit of wing to fuselage, all looking good so far.
Next job is wing farings then fix dowel and wing bolts.
Feels like the project is getting somewhere now.
Linds

Danny Fenton05/03/2011 17:49:57
8515 forum posts
3444 photos
Looks really great Lindsay, lots of character.

Cheers
Danny
Tim Hooper05/03/2011 22:08:22
2824 forum posts
2346 photos
I think the this model looks fabulous - really evocative of the 30's!

tim
David Ashby - RCME06/03/2011 06:33:21
10795 forum posts
1612 photos
604 articles
Lovely job Lindsay, looks a peach.

Lindsay Todd12/03/2011 22:40:46
1661 forum posts
1659 photos
Lousy flying weather, work but at least got some more some building time in this afternoon.
My least favorite building exercise wing fillets starts with getting the wing square to the fuz then using 2 mm ply pin and then glued to the fuselage side. I have some selotape on the underside to stop the glue seaping and glueing the wing to the fuz.
A few balsa fillets to support the ply (forgot to photo them) and then glue 1.5mm balsa over the top and pin and clamp till dry, then final sand to shape, the ply lets you get a nice hard line at the wing joint.
Next job was to fix front wing former that also supports a 6mm dowel, these were pre drilled so the alignment was correct, 3mm balsa fillet also added.
Rear wing bolt plate added, wing positioned and drilled through once aligned and then captive nut fixed in place.
Underwing rear wing fillet to fuselage simply stringers with balsa box around wing bolt position.
Seem to get a few things sorted today so really pleased with the progress, next job is probably the ailerons, then undercarriage then its time to look at some power up front.
Lindsay

Tim Hooper12/03/2011 23:51:08
2824 forum posts
2346 photos
Lindsay,

You appear to be at the stage of Endless Fannying About.

Sympathies......

tim
Lindsay Todd13/03/2011 00:08:07
1661 forum posts
1659 photos
You got it Tim! never seem to see the fruits of your efforts at this stage as its all little bits and pieces, just as important as glueing ribs to spars or formers to fuselage sides, but at least you then have something to look at then. Bottom line is when you get to this stage it hopefully means flying is now not that far away, there is light now at the end of the tunnel.
Tim Hooper13/03/2011 09:16:55
2824 forum posts
2346 photos

tim
Mowerman13/03/2011 09:26:55
1500 forum posts
103 photos
Beware! the light at the end of the tunnel could be the midnight express.
Tim Hooper13/03/2011 09:34:18
2824 forum posts
2346 photos
We used to reckon that the light at the end of the tunnel was just some heartless b******* bringing more work!

tim
Lindsay Todd21/03/2011 23:12:40
1661 forum posts
1659 photos
I really hate covering!! nearly done though
Put off building the ailerons and decided to get the bulk of the covering out of the way, just need to think about some colour combinations for pin striping to set her off.
Linds

Tim Hooper21/03/2011 23:24:30
2824 forum posts
2346 photos
Lindsay,

Can we park your Debutante and my Courier together for some shots later this summer?  I think they'd compliment each other very well indeed!

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 21/03/2011 23:25:04

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues