Forum sponsored by CML

Hawker Cygnet

build blog and chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ted02/11/2012 23:07:51
48 forum posts
2 photos

Vecchio Not really bad luck either stupidity or a Seniors moment.

Tim Now that is what I call intelligence or common sense! I read somewhere never to run any motor without a prop. but it is something that I will always do from now on.

Thank you both smiley notfrown

Ted.

Tim Hooper03/11/2012 21:25:37
2852 forum posts
2363 photos

Ted,

Sorry if I came across as somewhat brusque!

Now let's get this Cygnet in the air, shall we?

timwink 2

Ted04/11/2012 02:38:04
48 forum posts
2 photos

Tim,

You have nothing to be sorry for.

I have to wait because all the model etc. shops are closed most for two days. Don't forget there is a horse race on Tuesday and most places close on Monday and Tuesday. I've e-mailed the hobby shop but even if he remembers to put the new prop in the post it takes four full days before arriving on the doorstep. one dummy engine needs refit of elec wires, a couple of fins and inlet and exhaust pipes. These are elec. wire painted gold. Apart from that the model's raring to go.

Ted

AJ27/12/2013 17:11:44
143 forum posts
12 photos

Hi,

Has anybody else built one of these from the cnc kit? I have nearly completed the left hand upper wing and am looking at adding the riblets as the final job. Only thing is in the kit there is only one sheet with 30 riblets. As far as I can see there are 30 (29 and a bit anyway) required for each wing half. Am I missing a sheet of riblets or am I misinterpreting the plans?

Mind you there is no right hand wing shown on the plan either so who knowsindecision

Andrew.

Tim Hooper27/12/2013 20:27:13
2852 forum posts
2363 photos

Hello Andrew,

I'm not familiar with the contents of the CNC, so I'd suggest giving SLEC a ring, as they actually cut the kits.

tim

AJ28/12/2013 09:15:48
143 forum posts
12 photos

Checked the packing/cutting sheet provided with the pack and that only lists one set of 30 riblets, so looks like it is an error in production. Will ring them on Monday to discuss.

A.

AJ16/01/2014 22:59:34
143 forum posts
12 photos

Finally received another set of 30 riblets today. Looks like the cutting/packing list is wrong for the kit so anyone ordering this kit needs to check this.

Also check the wing spars provided. Mine were certainly not hard balsa, quite the opposite, they are cut from some very soft sheet. Either replace with hard balsa or what I did was to add a strip of 0.5mm carbon to one face.

Andrew.

AJ22/01/2014 22:13:51
143 forum posts
12 photos

Top wing is nearing completion. All 60 riblets in place and looking good.

Another issue with the riblet parts is that they are a tad too small. Compared to the front rib parts R1 they are about 0.75 mm to short. This makes fitting them interesting.

037.jpg

My solution has been to add a fillet to the rear of the LE and another to the front of the main spar. The fillet is the width of the gap between the riblets and simply fixed with CA. This then not only provides something to glue the riblets to but also aids in getting them properly aligned.

001.jpg

Should have some pics of the completed wing shortly.

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Eastland on 22/01/2014 22:16:21

Vecchio Austriaco23/01/2014 06:02:55
1498 forum posts
707 photos

Hi Andrew,

why not making your own build blog? I am sure a lot of people would enjoy that. It doesn't matter that Tim has described the build already, maybe you find some areas which you would do different or show pictures from different angles.

VA

AJ23/01/2014 09:12:52
143 forum posts
12 photos

Hi VA, thanks for the suggestion but I am not sure my building skills are up to the same standards as some of the others on here so would hate to embarrass myself with a full blog.

As I am using the cnc pack then I think it is worth highlighting the issues specific to that for future builders. If I come across any other issues that I think need more explaining then I will add those in as well but so far between the original magazine article and this blog most things have been fairly clear.

Andrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Revoc
Slec
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us