Forum sponsored by CML

Hiya all

introduction

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Smith 102/01/2011 14:09:01
545 forum posts
88 photos
Hiya all, I have the same story as the majority of newbies on here being a returning modeller after many years break. I still have my old models and kit up in the attic but I have decided to go electric 'cos I can fly a field near me as long as I keep the noise to a minimum. I have purchased my first model which is the Art Tech Cessna 182 500 class RTF. Can anyone enlighten me as to any vicious tendencies this plane may have? I have set it up as per and it has come out spot on with the CG, everything seems to fit and it 'looks' like it will fly. I forgot to mention I did pass my 'fit to fly solo' many years ago and I hope I haven't forgotten too much. This electric flight thingy is complete new ball game to me so any help would be of immense value. And how about these LiPol batteries? scared the  outta me when I read the instructions. Also, has anyone got any thoughts on the 5/6 channel radio gear that comes with the above kit.Thats enough for now but I'll be back.
Geoff 

Edited By Geoff Smith 1 on 02/01/2011 14:11:21

Eck02/01/2011 14:14:03
660 forum posts
124 photos
Welcome to the friendly forum, Geoff. I'm sure one of the moderators will be along shortly to point out the things you need to know on here.
    As for the Art Tech Cessna, it was reviewed very recently in RCM&E and given a big thumbs up, with a hint as to what the control throws should be. Many happy landings with her!

Garry Pollard02/01/2011 15:13:29
1091 forum posts
Welcome tot the best forum on the web Geoff. You dont say how long a lay off you have had, but I packed in for 15 yrs and came back two yrs ago with a Cessna and found it was as though I had never been away. I am now back into airobatics, all electric and loving every minuite of it. Go to it with a vengence.
Garry
Danny Fenton02/01/2011 15:26:24
9652 forum posts
4464 photos
Welcome Geoff, Electric flight has come a long way, especially in the last couple of years and you will get used to it fairly quickly, just remember to use the throttle as it is effective over the throttle range, only using enough power for the manouvre in hand will reap benefits in flight duration.

Have fun
Cheers
Danny

Geoff Smith 102/01/2011 15:28:27
545 forum posts
88 photos
Many thanks for the welcome Eck and Garry. I'm 70 now so it's got to be a few years longer than you Garry. I can still remember having to stoke up my old steam driven Futaba until it squeaked. Perhaps I may be a bit cocky in saying that I am not that worried about flying again (kiss of death?)  I still wish I had my first model again though, that Kamco Kadet and me went through years of fun together, I fitted the foam aileron wings on and never looked back. She died after arrowing in from 300 ft after the battery broke free and unplugged it'self. Cheers
Geoff 
Geoff Smith 102/01/2011 15:33:45
545 forum posts
88 photos
Many thanks for the welcome Danny, also thanks for the information this is just what I need. 
Garry Pollard02/01/2011 15:34:46
1091 forum posts
As they used to say in National Service "Get some in" I am going into my 76 th year and go flying at least twice a week, more if I can waangle it (married). I have a 30 yr old mind driving a 75 yr old body , a very unequal struggle.
You never forget how to fly Geoff, no matter how long you are away, so dont worry
Garry
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator02/01/2011 15:49:09
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Hi Geoff,

and welcome on board - or more accurately welcome back on board!

As Eck says above we pride ourselves on this being a very friendly place so I hope you'll soon feel at home. Don't hesistate to ask questions - we have a saying here that there is no such thing as a daft question, only daft answers!

A couple of points to help you get the best out of the forum:

1. Have a quick read the intro notes here. They will help you "drive" the forum better.

2. Don't forget to use the "search" window at the top of the page - very often the information you are looking for might already be on here - this is big place!

3. If you haven't done so already please consider filling in a few brief details about your modelling experience in your "profile" - this is useful for others when answering any questions you might have in judging the level of their response!

Most important rule of all....enjoy yourself!

BEB
Geoff Smith 102/01/2011 16:07:23
545 forum posts
88 photos
Many thanks for the welcome BEB. I have been reading the forum for a few days before posting and can see that this is a very friendly site. Mind you, I think it must go with the hobby 'cos even on the flying field there always seemed to be that great atmosphere with everyone enjoying themselves, I also think you have got to have a sense of humour as you try to smile whilst digging a very expensive motor out of the ground. I've had a fair bit of practice at this whilst learning and of course you always get some idiot come along to plant something in the hole you've just dug. On reflection I cannot think of another sport where help is readily available there is always someone who will help out with info or bits.
Yes I'm glad to be back.
Geoff 
Josip Vrandecic -Mes02/01/2011 18:46:21
2993 forum posts
260 photos
Geoff , welcome,we have similar situation; grandchildren ,close age and ,of course, "Cessna 182 "...enough... all the best Jo.
ken anderson.03/01/2011 09:44:42
8715 forum posts
808 photos
wellcome from me geoff.................to prob the best forum.....

ken anderson ne..1.
Geoff Smith 103/01/2011 09:54:56
545 forum posts
88 photos
Without a doubt Ken, without a doubt.   Thanks for the welcome my friend.
Tony Bennett03/01/2011 09:58:01
5082 forum posts
129 photos
welcome from another returnee
Allan Bowker04/01/2011 01:11:22
1639 forum posts
228 photos
Having flown this particular model myself Geoff I can say it flies fine for it's size. Although not as big as a traditional trainer she doesn't have any nasty habbits if you keep up a sensible air speed and is flown on a relatively calm day.

If I have to be picky then I would say the worst part is that it can go out of sight quick purely as she's a relatively small aircraft, keep her close by and fairly high up to begin, should have plenty of power there though.
Allan Bowker04/01/2011 01:11:25
1639 forum posts
228 photos

Edited By Allan Bowker on 04/01/2011 01:11:45

Geoff Smith 104/01/2011 09:27:16
545 forum posts
88 photos
Thanks for this Alan. I'll just have to keep it 2 mistakes high until I get back into the swing of things.  Cheers
Geoff 

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!