Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

PSSA Gliding Events

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Houghton23/03/2020 20:46:41
584 forum posts
438 photos

You are a wise man, Phil - this is the best decision, especially after tonight's broadcast by the PM.

Flyer23/03/2020 20:49:11
622 forum posts
108 photos

Sometimes in life, things happen that are beyond our control. See all of you lads when conditions allow.

Least it gives me some time to catch up with my build.

regards to you all

cheers

Ade

Phil Cooke30/05/2020 14:45:44
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

Great Orme Event CANCELLED 13th/14th June 2020

Although the recent Welsh Government announcement has slightly eased the lockdown restrictions regarding outdoor pursuits (within 5 miles from home) we are still unable to travel to Wales. As I understand it, this position will not be reviewed again before 18th June.

Regrettably therefore, we have no option but to formally cancel our Great Orme event planned for 13th and 14th June.

We will continue to watch the situation carefully and we keep our fingers crossed for July 11th and 12th when we are still hoping to run our event with the Lleyn MAC at Abersoch.

Stay safe all, see you on a slope one day soon!

cancelled events to jun 2020.jpg

Phil Cooke22/06/2020 14:53:50
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

Lleyn MAC PSSA Event pushed back to August in an attempt to save the meet!

As you have no doubt already read, the Welsh Government Covid-19 restrictions on travel are due to be relaxed from 6th July, meaning that we can once again return to the slopes for socially distanced flying purposes, on the proviso visitors do not stay over in Wales unless they have self contained accommodation. I understand there is no further review of this until 13th July, meaning that at least until that date, B&Bs, Hotels and even camp sites all remain closed.

Our annual visit to the Lleyn Peninsula flying with the Lleyn MAC was due to be held 11th and 12th July. The geography and distance makes a day trip to the Lleyn impractical, and in an attempt to secure and maintain this event in our 2020 season I am proposing a date swap with one of the 3 remaining Orme Events in Llandudno – the logic being Llandudno is far easier to attend as a day visitor, and those travelling long distances if required, could find accommodation just over the boarder around Chester - just 30 minutes drive from the Orme.

I have agreed this logic with the Lleyn MAC committee and they have been good enough already to alter their slope calendar to reflect the following changes.

11th/12th July

PSSA Fly-In at the Great Orme, Llandudno.

8th/9th August

PSSA Fly-In with the Lleyn MAC, Abersoch Area, Lleyn Peninsula.

I have adjusted our PSSA events calendar accordingly. I hope you agree this alteration to our calendar is for the best – our annual visit to the Lleyn is always very special and I wanted to make this change in the hope it allows us to fly there as a group once the restrictions are sufficiently eased for us to stay over. The only alternative was to cancel.

Please also note the date for the Sabre MB is still not yet fixed, potentially September, potentially October - we may even push this back into next season. It's a decision that will be taken based on the ability for folk to travel freely into the UK from abroad without being forced to quarantine - as we have a number of international participants wishing to take part. For now, keep building your Sabre in readiness for a September event - more on that nearer the time.

Many thanks for your understanding. Phil Cooke.

Phil Cooke22/06/2020 14:54:36
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

So our latest calendar overview looks like this...

pssa events june 2020.jpg

Edited By Phil Cooke on 22/06/2020 14:55:05

Andy Meade22/06/2020 15:42:33
2775 forum posts
717 photos

I think it's the right choice chief, see you in Llandudno!

Phil May22/06/2020 21:18:58
1520 forum posts
154 photos

See you there guys, weather permitting..

Phil Cooke14/07/2020 00:42:24
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

Big thanks to all who travelled and took part in our first PSSA event of the season over the weekend - a great Fly for Fun - albeit with some additional rules and limitations.

2 superb days up on the Great Orme - using the NW cafe slope on Saturday and the main SW slope on Sunday, once the winds sorted themselves out after lunch. Loads of new models on show following the winter and lockdown break!

Plenty of hand sanitiser and single use gloves available to help launch models for other flyers, it proved easy to socially distance and enjoy our sport in a safe and considered manner. The usual group photo was the only missing element. That and the evening meal, as pubs in Wales were all still closed, as were the hotels - those who needed to had to drive back to Chester to find the nearest accomodation. All well worth it.

Here is the best of the photos from the weekend.

Orme Album

Many thanks again to all who took part. Our next event is planned August 8th/9th at the Lleyn.

SR 7114/07/2020 04:50:28
462 forum posts
140 photos

Nice photos, but i noticed none of the launchers were wearing the disposable gloves surprise

Phil Cooke14/07/2020 07:44:34
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

Gloves were worn by many but some found them a little snug and difficult to get on and off at pace. Hand sanitizer proved far easier after a little time, you do have to let it dry properly though before handling a scale model for fear of taking all the panel lines off where you touch!

Andy Meade14/07/2020 08:10:02
2775 forum posts
717 photos

Yup, gloves felt a bit too "grippy" to me, so I was sanitising before and after each launch yes

Lovely photos as always Chief, you've got a great camera wink

Edited By Andy Meade on 14/07/2020 08:10:43

David Ashby - Moderator14/07/2020 10:07:47
11035 forum posts
1723 photos
617 articles

Lovely photos and models thumbs up

Alan Gorham_14/07/2020 10:46:34
1292 forum posts
145 photos

Some great flying under the belt after those two days...I feel excited for the Lleyn weekend already!

Phil Cooke18/07/2020 22:42:41
2619 forum posts
1836 photos

The event report from last weekends Fly for Fun meet at The Great Orme can now be viewed online... thumbs up

HERE

McG 696919/07/2020 10:09:28
3305 forum posts
1257 photos

... real great pics there, Phil... yes

... but don't forget your Sabre's fuse sanding sessions... angel

Cheers and keep safe

Chris

EarlyBird19/07/2020 10:26:22
193 forum posts
158 photos

Wow!!! yes

What beautiful planes, absolutely amazing detail.

I like it.

I am not sure that I would want to throw any of then off a cliff though wink

Cheers

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!