Forum sponsored by CML

Avro Vulcan

Graham Dorschell 68" 4*EDF

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
andy watson23/01/2011 15:25:35
1942 forum posts
20 photos
So, the JU87D is done, and over the last couple of years I have been more and more drawn to the Vulcan bomber.

As anyone that has read my previous builds will know, I like to get it as right as possible. In this case that means no pusher props hanging off the back. I have been throwing a few lines out around the internet looking for something suitable, but with little success. What was apparant though is this plane still has a lot of fans (no EDF pun intended!), and messages seemed to get passed on and around.

I bought a set of Graham Dorschells plans from Traplet for his Vulcan, it was about the right size, with a view to converting it. This quickly became apparant as a job too far for me. I have never built an electric model (even an ARTF), so 4 ducted fans was probably a little optomistic! Anyway, my search seemes to have reached Graham, and he has redesigned the Vulcan to take EDF power. Graham emailed me to let me know that I has a new updated set of plans on their way to RCMF for publication at some point in the future. For £25 Graham has sent me a new set of redrawn plans, a full build article, and then a CD with loads of build photos (and flying videos). All in all a great set to help me through the build. The other thing that will be a great help is his email address- and we have already had a few lengthy email exchanges where I have been trying to understand why he approached a specific problem in a specific way.

Anyway- onto the build...............
andy watson23/01/2011 15:43:02
1942 forum posts
20 photos
Job #1- I have moved into the garage. The shelving/workbench has been well used on the stuka build, but never set up as a building board- so lots of tidying up, a few screws and a bit of trimming of plasterboard:

The board is 6 feet long, which is big enough for this build. I can add up an extra 4 feet if I get really ambitious later! The board is 65cm wide, which is very tight. I could add an extension this way if needed, but again it is (just) big enough for this build.

The first set of plans from Traplet:

Printed onto nice fairly heavy paper- but blue? Seems a shame not to update them to a black/white laser type print. The new plans from Graham:

Black and white, and nice and clear. They also have the details of what we are aiming for:

And a 10 page build article:

I will be making some changes- 4 Delta Vs, poly C not solartex. Anyway, planning ahead (no pun again) I asked for some motors and stuff at Christmas. Unfortunately Fran didn't notice the *4 on the fan/motors! But squadron leader had some in their sale, so I ordered the extras from them (first class service).

andy watson23/01/2011 20:55:18
1942 forum posts
20 photos
One decision I had to make was that of the available woodpack. For the Stuka I cut everything myself (I can't remember if a pack was available or not). It wasn't a horrendous job, and is a good opportunity to really pore over the plans. In this case the decision was further complicated because the only pack available was for the old design, not the updated EDF version. Despite this I thought I would go for it, but I will need to reshape some of the changed parts.

It turned up in a big box, which when opened contained 2 other boxes:

Initial impressions were very favourable. I've never seen laser cut parts before- I cut my own with the Stuka, and the Flair kits are die cut. I don't have a problem with the die cut parts, but the thin black laser outlines on each part look really smart! Traplet have also labelled each part, which helps, and each sheet is numbered and has a description of the plan and wood used for the sheet. Nothing that couldn't be worked out by myself- but a lot of headscratching will be saved, I'm sure.

One thing I really don't like is the way some of the bigger pieces have been cut in 2. The wavey edges obviously provide plenty of area for glue, and make sure alignment is correct, but 3/4 foot long pieces of balsa are widely available, so the only reason for cutting them can be cost savings- either on wood or postage. It is a real shame.

The other decision was on the vac formed set. I thought the £100 for the woodpack was reasonable (well, in the context of this hobby!), but I do think £30 for the vac forms are expensive- to me they resemble the packaging you get free with almost everything! But I remember the potential trouble I could have had with the Stuka canopy, and decided to bite the bullet. I was really disappointed top dig through the shredded paper packing to find only a canopy, and 2 small mouldings. But then I dug deeper and actually found quite a lot of other big pieces. These are all excellent quality- really thick and tough- they should stand up to some knocks and bumps.

Time to start balsa bashing!
andy watson24/01/2011 21:32:41
1942 forum posts
20 photos

Starting on the fuselage.

I have started building up the forward part- but not the nose which needs a cruciform adding and foam carving.

I love this part of a build. Things go really swiftly- even with the inevitable headscratching as you try work out which line is which! I am aware though that time is limited on this build- getting out for an hour or so will be the norm, whereas the Stuka sometimes got full days/nights at it.
jez24/01/2011 21:58:09
245 forum posts
137 photos
hi andy
nice to see the build comming on , i have been building the same kit for 12 months on and off but mine is a pusher prop one , greham is very helpfull , just got to take the plunge and fly her now , have put lots of pics on my album of the build
cheers
jez

andy watson25/01/2011 08:37:00
1942 forum posts
20 photos
Cheers Jez- I saw the thread you posted on before.

Can you give me some details on your undercarriage? What retracts did you use, and how did you set up your wheels?
Stefan Hafner25/01/2011 08:50:02
382 forum posts
15 photos
Posted by andy watson on 23/01/2011 20:55:18:

One thing I really don't like is the way some of the bigger pieces have been cut in 2. The wavey edges obviously provide plenty of area for glue, and make sure alignment is correct, but 3/4 foot long pieces of balsa are widely available, so the only reason for cutting them can be cost savings- either on wood or postage. It is a real shame.

Having used a laser cutter at uni for some projects there I would guess this has more to do with the size of the working area available on the laser cutter than on the cost cutting, as the price of the bigger lasers starts to get really crazy

Watching this with interest, should turn into a sweet plane
andy watson25/01/2011 12:13:53
1942 forum posts
20 photos
Interesting point Stefan, I'd not thought about that.

I'm sure they will work fine, just not quite what I had in mind when I opened the box.
jez25/01/2011 19:39:30
245 forum posts
137 photos
hi andy
well the retracts are mechanical,got them from als models , with 2 retract servos , i used oleo legs from galaxy models which do the job , but wish i had gone for air ! had a lot of hassle trying to get the linkages right and the new electric ones look good too,
, and they do pull some amps when going up so i am using a seperate battery to power them as well as one for the reciver ,i tried to use 4 wheels /axle on the rear but just not enough room !!!!
as ref to the joining of the bigger peices , i didn't have any trouble , lots of glue , grease proof paper from the kitchen and lots of heavy books , works fine .
do like the ducted fan idea , if had the room i would be tempted to do another one ))
cheers
jez
jez25/01/2011 19:42:07
245 forum posts
137 photos
hope this pic helps

Graham Dorschell25/01/2011 19:48:30
86 forum posts
45 photos
Hay , Guys , nice work . any help required , please ask .. I love the pics , keep em coming . Am away for a bit but will try keeping intouch .
Graham Dorschell26/01/2011 13:30:09
86 forum posts
45 photos
If any one is interested in the UTUBE vids of the Vulcan in flight that hasnt seen them , just go to the UTUBE search bar and type in

UTUBE -- VULCAN EDF AIRSHOTS
UTUBE -- VULCAN EDF BUILD
UTUBE -- VULCAN EDF AIRSHOTS 3
andy watson26/01/2011 13:35:47
1942 forum posts
20 photos
Just for you electric types:

AUW 14lbs
Motors 4*e-flite BL15 motors matched to e-flite Delta V 69mm fans
Batteries 4*4000mAh 4s LiPos
Power 644W per motor- 2576W total (184W/lb)
4*70A(ish) esc

Just emails cestrian RC about having custom made wheel bogeys and/or oleos made up, although I am also looking at the servoless ones here and having scale bogeys made up (or maybe even making them myself!)

If possible I want the wheels to look like this:

Edited By andy watson on 26/01/2011 13:39:13

Graham Dorschell26/01/2011 13:44:53
86 forum posts
45 photos
Klippy26/01/2011 13:54:44
753 forum posts
13 photos
I've followed both your builds so far Andy, I'll be looking over you shoulder!
Alan Cantwell26/01/2011 13:56:36
3039 forum posts
Andy check the scale wheel size, it will be small, thinking of the grass field at bury
andy watson26/01/2011 14:02:06
1942 forum posts
20 photos
Scale size on the plans is about 1 1/2", so I will inevitably have to increase that. I think a minimum of 2, maybe 2 1/2. Or maybe a roll of carpet in the container!

There is a model vulcan hanging in Blackburn models, and he has put a single larger wheel on the inside, so the outer wheels are scale. This actually works very nicely, and I could use those as the working wheels with the scale ones as dummies.

Graham is emailing me tales of doom and telling me to find a concrete strip- or instructions for building a ramp!
Graham Dorschell27/01/2011 22:23:43
86 forum posts
45 photos

Hope ya like the pics , this is my undercart , works ok but wish I had bought the electric ones .
Graham Dorschell01/02/2011 10:09:36
86 forum posts
45 photos
Off abroud now lads , will try keep in touch ,
andy watson01/02/2011 12:14:10
1942 forum posts
20 photos
Have fun Graham, and thanks for the help so far

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us