Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Aileron shaping

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
heinkel25/01/2011 17:29:32
98 forum posts
184 photos
Whats the best way to shape the v profile on the balsa ailerons on my Flair SE5A.They are only 4.5 x18mm. I dont know how to achieve a strait and even edge, looks difficult.Cheers
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator25/01/2011 17:50:49
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Its easier than it looks heinkel.

First mark the apex of the V on the hinging face with a nice black pencil line - then measure how far back on the upper and lower surfaces you want to go - where the "shoulder" will be. And again mark a nice black pencil line. You should now have three lines; the apex and the two shoulders (one on each side) showing you know where to sand up to. Then using a flat sanding block (essential) and some 280 grit paper (you don't want it too coarse) just work along the length. Stop every 5 strokes or so - look at it side on and check you have the angle about right so that you are going to meet the apex and the shoulder line at the same time. Then carry on until you're there. Simples!

This is a job that needs to be neat - but absolute precission is not essential provided its straight and all the ailerons are pretty well the same. As I say, its easier than it sounds.

BEB
heinkel27/01/2011 13:53:35
98 forum posts
184 photos
Thanks, got one done looks ok, hope the others follow suit
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator27/01/2011 14:17:49
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Nice one - not too difficult is it? Just needs a bit of care really and take your time.

BEB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!