Forum sponsored by CML

RC Paraglider Part 1

Wanted Something Different

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap05/02/2011 00:06:43
856 forum posts
112 photos
I wanted to have a go at this project and because the chance came up to buy a model paraglider wing I felt the rest should be easy (I dont think).
I have now made a working pilot and the next thing is to try and get the wing to fly which is a lot harder than you might think because the supplied wing has the ABCD riser lengths configured as a parachute not a paraglider. (For them that know what I mean this will make sense).
I am now playing about with the riser lengths but it now looks like I will have to start shortening the lines of risers A & B so its far from straightforward.
As soon as I make more progress I will post a follow up video.
This route is plagued with problems but I just hope it will fly in the end as the CofG on a bag of washing is not easy to find...

PS - Anyone out there good at undoing knots. volunteers please.
Peter
PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap06/02/2011 10:56:04
856 forum posts
112 photos
RC Paraglider - Part 2 has now been posted onto my YouTube site which may help some.
I was not too keen on my poor little pilot getting busted up and messy so being the good general that I am I considered the implications for my Action Man and got the back room boffins to come up with something simple to reduce (or totally avoid) casualties.
The results of the sleepless nights for the boffin in charge was the Pilot Block - I was going to call it a Pilot Brick but felt that other implications could cause a problem...
And yes it is a charge lead that comes out - I MADE SURE it came out higher than it wanted to Ha Ha.
Peter

Edited By Tim Mackey - Administrator on 06/02/2011 11:36:16

TonyS06/02/2011 11:15:13
1211 forum posts
327 photos
Peter,
Sorry to go off-topic but a major thank you from me for the link that you put in above. I followed it to the page and just out of curiosity clicked on the video of Rescue of Swampy. Absolutely the funniest video i've seen in ages - really well put together and fantastic choice of music. Excellent effort by whoever....
Thanks again.

As for the RC Paraglider - that does look a challenge. Do yu think that there are any RC car / RC plane enthusiasts that could rig up an RC kite buggy.......?
T
Tim Mackey06/02/2011 11:33:55
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Peter please use conventional text inputs - odd stuff like above can screw up the forum page
Also, you might want to look at the tutorial about how to insert videos and so on.
PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap06/02/2011 11:57:14
856 forum posts
112 photos
First sorry to for using the wrong text.
TonyS question for a powered buggy - you may try doing a search for "Ready-fly-sky-surfer-paraglider-parachute" and if you type it in as I have listed it you should get to a site that may provide your needs.
Peter
Ultymate06/02/2011 12:29:30
1703 forum posts
62 photos
I spent a lot of one summer some time ago with Alan Hawes of AH Designs trying to get a fairly large powered paraglider to fly reliably. There were several toy ones around at the time that you literally threw into the air and the wing filled "parachute fashion" but this was not feasible with the 90/120 sized one we were trying to get airborne. The two main problems were keeping it into wind, despite having a steerable nose-wheel, and getting the wing to fill with air. We got it airborne a couple of times and got a sort of circuit out of it by having a couple of people running behind at take off and holding the wing to enable it to fill but in the end Alan gave up on it as he was hoping to make a commercial venture of it but we never got near any degree of reliable flying from it.
PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap12/02/2011 19:21:08
856 forum posts
112 photos
Part 3

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 12/02/2011 19:21:54

PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap13/02/2011 13:47:32
856 forum posts
112 photos
At last I was able to take the wing out to try it. Went to a shallow ten foot slope which was not ideal because the wind was off to one side a bit but I was able to test for trim and work out the extra ballast that was needed.
This was all done by just "feeling" how the wing behaved when I was holding it into wind - I could tell I needed to put on lots of lead (took this with me) and also the "A" risers were still not short enough - because the wing was holding back - the webbing will have to be changed which is a shame. (Just to try it out I looped the "A" risers making them a lot shorter for the first flight).
Although only a very short flight enough was learnt very quickly which will pave the way for the next flight which should ensure the wing is ballasted correctly and with the "A" risers changed the trim should be about right. All being well the next flight can be on a ridge with RC control... Watch its progress... ADDITION NOTE. From the short trial flight I was able to weigh the lead I put on and the "brick pilot " and lead came to .6 Kg.
The "A, B, C," riser webbings have all been shortened yet again to get the angle of attack the same as on the trial flight where I just looped (shortened) the lines to see if if the AOA was almost there.
It is clear to me that the challenge with this kind of model is the wing because its nothing like any other - but interesting if you want a challange and are good at sorting out knotted lines... Part 4 to follow
Gaspard Barthil29/05/2015 09:25:34
1 forum posts

Hey everyone!

I know it is a very old topic but it was nice to find this topic about rc paraglider, that some of you built! If you read this, I just want to congratulate you for your job! I think there's such a pride of flying something you've built on your own! Maybe one day I will try but for the moment, I haven't got the patience so I purchased one from Opale Paramodels, which is very good and fun to fly with.

Keep up the good work folks!

Greetings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!