Articles

Pilot Notes

Pilot Notes

Capiche 140

Steven Butler20/02/2011 19:24:04
140 forum posts
26 photos
Well,

Since acquiring my webbit I have been desperate to try and start my building career but have had to wait until April. I had an sc46 waiting for a new home and I am pleased to say that I have today managed to secure a traditional build kit which I think was produced from tower hobbies. It is a capiche 50 complete with plan, cowl and canopy plus linkages etc for the grand total of £55

All I need to do now is collect it and start glueing.

Has anyone else built/flown any of these models (I think weston uk do some versions in ARTF but the kits are no longer sold)

Any thoughts on this kit/model will be gratefully received

Steve
simon barr21/02/2011 17:12:17
1060 forum posts
16 photos
Hello Steve. The original kits were produced and distributed by Island Hobbies here in Jersey. They go together well and fly very well.
If you need any advise or help, contact peter@islandhobbies.co.uk, and i'm sure he will be only too happy to help.
Chris Bott - Moderator21/02/2011 17:16:42
6843 forum posts
1429 photos
1 articles
Ooh I always fancied one of these. Please keep us up to date on how it's going.

Wasn't it quite like a Cap 232 and therefore it was Cap'ish ??
Steven Butler21/02/2011 17:45:03
140 forum posts
26 photos
Yes

I believe that was the case, I am very much looking forward to getting the kit and starting the build (first one)

I will do a build blog I think and probably ask loads of questions at the same time. Now all I need to do is get the double garage converted to a build shop.

Steve
Engine Doctor01/03/2011 15:27:14
2579 forum posts
40 photos
Hello Steven .If it as stated then you have a bargain. Well done . I built one of the early one for a club mate. Excellent kit and superb flyer. All of Malcolm's models flew really well. Only down side in the kit was the extensive use of light ply and the way cyano cold travel along the grain and stick your hand to bits a long way from the original glue application guess how i found that out ? The one i built was fitted with an OS 50 with a Weston pipe and was awsome .Good Luck and enjoy the build.

E.D
Steven Butler01/03/2011 17:01:19
140 forum posts
26 photos
Thanks

I have a YS 63 going in to mine. I have tried contacting island hobbies by e mail - are they still a going concern? I was hoping to get a decal set and spats from them but its looking like its an older model and no longer for sale. I guess I can find spats from elsewhere but I did fancy the decals.

Steve
simon barr01/03/2011 17:17:56
1060 forum posts
16 photos
I'll give Peter a nudge for you Steve...
Steven Butler01/03/2011 17:39:21
140 forum posts
26 photos
great thanks, originally I planned to put an SC46 in this plane but once I sold the alpha trainer I decided to replace it with a black horse super air. The guy who sold me the plane had an almost new YS63 in fantastic condition which he wanted 90 for. I couldnt resist. I looked on the pro build website and saw the new 63's are selling for over 300. Another bargain I reckon.

All I need to do now is convert my garage to a workshop and I will be away.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!