Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The Jitterbug decal

The Jitterbug decal

here at last! - 7/9/11

Erfolg17/03/2011 13:21:49
11714 forum posts
1309 photos
I have just noted the plan pack offer, via my E-Mail.

This seems really good marketing, being timely with respect to the publication of the magazine. To make the offer more attractive the kit price looks very good.

I guess my only reservation at a personal level, that this is not the most attractive model published in recent times.

Yet this is first time I have looked twice at an offer.

Edited By Erfolg on 17/03/2011 13:23:23

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator17/03/2011 13:59:50
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
At the risk of "contaminating" one thread with another - an excellent example of an outfit using its email contact list to engage with its readership (members?) and do a little marketing along the way! - oh dear, its everywhere! (Well not quite everywhere - cos we know one place where it isn't!)

BEB
Bill Hughes 317/03/2011 14:16:25
7 forum posts
16 photos
The Jitterbug very closely resembles the old Precedent Lo Boy in many respects, all be it no flaps and different undercarriage configuration, but very similar all the same.
Steve W-O17/03/2011 16:41:15
2775 forum posts
310 photos
I didn't get an email, thankfully. I hate spam marketing mails, and simply blacklist them ! Of course with Yahoo and Gmail, that scores up and eventually all the mails from that sender get put in the recipients spam box.

I do agree though that the Jitterbug is a nice project
Hugh Coleman17/03/2011 21:34:07
518 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Erfolg on 17/03/2011 13:21:49:
I have just noted the plan pack offer, via my E-Mail.

This seems really good marketing, being timely with respect to the publication of the magazine. To make the offer more attractive the kit price looks very good.

I guess my only reservation at a personal level, that this is not the most attractive model published in recent times.

Yet this is first time I have looked twice at an offer.

Edited By Erfolg on 17/03/2011 13:23:23

I'm sure Alex likes it... and that's what matters, surely. Others who want to build a low wing aerobat from scratch will build it perhaps... Me? I'm waiting for Hanger 9 to release the Pulse XT in kit form.

Cheers,

Hugh
Phil 917/03/2011 21:37:47
4287 forum posts
251 photos
Is it me or does the jitterbug free plan look like something we have seen before too many times. I may be just on a downer but it just does not look very inspiring to me and with the two wood packs costing £88.98 plus postage not a cheep way to build a model

it is a very mundane easy to build sport model and not a particularly nice one with its lines designed just to make an easy build rather than to look good or interesting.

if we are to have a free flan every month is it time to mix it up a bit
Pat (rActive) Harbord17/03/2011 22:50:05
634 forum posts
49 photos
Phil, can I pull you up on your comment re mixing it up a bit?
April - jitterbug, low wing hack
March - melody, sports bipe
February - blohm and voss, odd ball foamy
January - stranraer, scale flying boat
December - pix-E Major, vintage stooger

I think that a pretty mixed bag

I do agree that ?80 plus for wood feels very expensive. The choice is there to cut your own though so it's a case of you pays your money you takes your choice. I would think that you could use this plan as a basis for modifications to make the lines flow better?
Phil 917/03/2011 23:01:52
4287 forum posts
251 photos
rActive maybe you are right and i am being harsh

Pat (rActive) Harbord17/03/2011 23:16:58
634 forum posts
49 photos
Did you have a bad day?
Eamonn Fahey22/03/2011 13:02:02
529 forum posts
58 photos
Has anyone else noticed that there are two different models in the review and I cannot believe Alex would fly a model with only two wingbands attached (mocked up photos?)
Shane Sunday22/03/2011 13:54:04
342 forum posts
160 photos
I thought it looked like what it was meant to be... A quick to build weekend acro hack. I've considered reducing the plan by 20% or so make styrofoam core wings and fit an existing motor in it. It looks like a fun build.

my 2 cents
David Ashby - Moderator23/03/2011 13:52:18
10988 forum posts
1714 photos
614 articles
Posted by Eamonn Fahey on 22/03/2011 13:02:02:
Has anyone else noticed that there are two different models in the review and I cannot believe Alex would fly a model with only two wingbands attached (mocked up photos?)

Only you Eamonn but your detective work is flawed I'm afraid
Alex has mentioned the bands here.

Hugo Fasster02/04/2011 18:33:49
10 forum posts
26 photos
I exchanged messages with Alex on his new site where he explained that the model had a slight mishap and had to have some rebuilding, So Eamonn you are right there were two different versions of the model.
Alex Whittaker14/04/2011 17:27:32
55 forum posts
1 photos
7 articles
To reiterate: there is only one Jitterbug prototype. It is the same model in all the static and flying shots. Just bear in mind the North Wales weather. The magazine photos were shot over a number of weeks, with the prototype flown by two separate test pilots. This was to get a dispassionate assessment of the model, and also so I could take the flying pictures. There were radio problems with some dodgy brand new servos, and a rough landing, so I had to repair the tail. I decided to remove one wing dowel as a trial, since I found I was tending to use the rear undercarriage dowels anyway. I innocently re-covered the tail with yellow film, since I had run out of checks. I was blissfully unaware that such routine running repairs to a sports model would provoke so many conspiracy theorists. Amusing, though. Even Elvis down our chippy had a good laugh.
Tim Hooper14/04/2011 17:39:49
2892 forum posts
2406 photos
Tough crowd tonight, eh?

tim
Shane Sunday16/04/2011 13:04:44
342 forum posts
160 photos
Well I have decided to build the jitterbug but mainly from DEPRON as I want to see if it can be done or should be done. I will be useing spruce bearers and ply wing and UC supports but mainly Depron.

I like the simplicity of this model and while I have a motor (leccy) that will handle the balsa build, I prefer to use something smaller for my flying field.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Joao Miguel18/04/2011 10:29:08
11 forum posts
I am building the Jitterbug (bravely the first build in decades) and going electric. Could Alex provide more details of what he fitted? I've got the motor but I am struggling to decide over the ESC , BEC and lipo. Regards
Alex Whittaker23/04/2011 23:22:42
55 forum posts
1 photos
7 articles

Sorry Joao,

I have been away from my desk for a few days, and could not reply sooner. As a guideline, the Jitterbug prototype was designed around a Turnigy C5055-600 motor, a 3200MAh / 15C / 14.8 Volt pack, a 70A ESC, and a 14” x 8” el*ctric prop. However, experienced el*ctric modellers will devise their own power trains, I am sure. Good luck with your build. Send me a few flying snaps.

Alex

Alex Whittaker25/04/2011 19:15:32
55 forum posts
1 photos
7 articles
Shane,
Please send me some snaps when you have created your masterpiece.
Alex

Shane Sunday06/05/2011 09:34:40
342 forum posts
160 photos
Alex I have started building the wings with minor changes. I am real happy with the outcome so far. I plan on doing a build blog so I will be posting picks of the entire build and hopefully get feedback and advice as I go.

Cheers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!