Service in Slough

Do they really want any customers?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Bott - Moderator30/03/2011 21:01:02
6810 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles
I've been trying to find some matching covering film for the ARTF DH88 I'm rebuilding. Local shops have nothing even close, but I do a trip for work every 3 weeks or so from the Midlands to SE London.
So a few weeks ago I went well out of my way to see if a certain model shop had anything. Nothing in stock to match my sample but they suggested what it might be and said they would order some, it might take a week or two.
As they seemed helpful, I didn't look anywhere else out of some sort of loyalty.

Fast forward to today. Well over an hour out of my way to find a "closed for stocktaking" sign, a locked outer gate and a view of people working in the shop.
After jumping up and down outside someone finally came out. I explained how far I'd come. They didn't seem impressed. I said that I'd been in before and needed to check if the film was in and if the colour matched. He went back in, chatted to the manager and then went to where the film is stored. When he came out, he said "sorry the tills aren't on" and with all the social skills of a bowl of custard, turned and went back in.

My next sentence - "If I could just see the colour match I could mail order tomorrow" never had a chance to escape my lips.
I still have no idea if the film is in stock or not.

So, am I being unreasonable being more than a little miffed?
Would it be any surprise if more of my money ends up in Hong Kong?
I do feel we should support the UK industry or we might loose it. But sometimes it could do a little more to help it's self.
I had even checked their website this morning to see what time they closed, no clues on there.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator30/03/2011 21:12:07
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Dissapointing and frustrating Chris. I have dealt with the same company a number of times and I have to say all has gone smoothly. But of course the real test of any company is how they deal with the "out of the ordinary" when a customer needs them to "go that extra" mile for service. I'm afraid that in this case with you Chris this well known model emporium has failed that test.

Now they can say its a one off, but enough "one offs" like that and you don't have a business anymore. You can't make a living out of the odd new comer buying a trainer (no disrespect meant to beginners there!) its us customers that return time and time again that are the bread and butter and just occassionally we need a little extra help and if we don't get it, or a reasonable explaination why not, we tend to get very unhappy.

BEB

PS Just to provide the other side of the coin, I've had an excellent experience over the last couple of days with a different retailer which I'll post in other thread shortly.
Capt Kremen30/03/2011 21:37:15
352 forum posts
144 photos
I've actually been in that shop, (when it was open!), picked up close to £100-00 of assorted items and stood at the counter while a staff member very reluctantly disturbed their own time to 'serve' me. " Do you want these?" came the very surly response. Not so much as a 'Good morning'. Needless to say I left the items on the counter.
Unfortunately stuffing items in a jiffy bag for mail order probably makes up the bulk of this 'bulk buy' business so what do they care(?) with 'Customer Service'.

Edited By Capt Kremen on 30/03/2011 21:39:29

Simon B30/03/2011 22:25:16
1936 forum posts
284 photos
Urk. Just ordered £200 of stuff from them on mailorder. Hope they deal with this ok.
Stephen Peart30/03/2011 22:29:52
13 forum posts
3 photos
Same experience with me. Sad as most of them are really good. it's a case of 'one bad apple'in my view. Hope they get it sorted. It's a really good shop otherwise... Come on boys..
Tim Mackey30/03/2011 22:33:30
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Terrible.
Chris Bott - Moderator30/03/2011 22:47:45
6810 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles
I'm sure you'll be OK Simon, they can't do everything badly. If they have £200 of your money you have certain rights too.
Clearly as someone who hadn't handed any money over yet (except at the petrol station) I was not deserving of any attention.
They have no idea what I'm itching to buy next. But whether its a couple of pounds or a couple of thousand pounds, they won't be getting my money.
Simon B30/03/2011 23:05:47
1936 forum posts
284 photos
I only went there because it was the only place I could find that sold the YT paragon. The distribution on that model seems pretty much non-existent, which is a shame, as the limited reports i've found suggest its excellent.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator30/03/2011 23:12:09
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
I have to say Simon, my dealing with them have always been via the internet and as I said above they have always been an efficient and smooth operation in my experience - it just seems that from Chris's experience they are a bit lacking on the face-to-face personal charm and service front

So I'm sure you'll be fine.

BEB
Chris Bott - Moderator30/03/2011 23:43:00
6810 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles
Would you believe it? Is that the Paragon I suggested on here in another thread? They should be thanking me for that sale lol.
IanN31/03/2011 00:17:37
1675 forum posts
119 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/03/2011 23:12:09:
it just seems that from Chris's experience they are a bit lacking on the face-to-face personal charm and service front

So I'm sure you'll be fine.

BEB

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. A few years ago all was well and they couldn't do enough for you. The current manager doesn't seem keen on explaining things personally. Not going to reiterate the whole thing (put it on another thread a while back) but I had a price problem there which the assistant then had to explain to the chap in charge. The assistant was then sent back to tell me "nothing doing". He was clearly embarrassed, and (quietly, for obvious reasons) said to me if it was up to him he'd have done the right thing to resolve the matter. All this whilst the "boss" was within fifteen feet. Pretty pathetic

ken anderson.31/03/2011 07:25:16
8635 forum posts
779 photos
hello chris.....i would not even give them my buisness.......go some where else for what you need......

ken anderson ne..1.
Simon B31/03/2011 08:53:15
1936 forum posts
284 photos
Chris, yes it is the paragon you suggested. They seem to be the only shop to sell it and it was cheaper than ordering direct from yt
James4031/03/2011 09:10:25
885 forum posts
3 photos
I've been in exactly the same situation but with another store, ModelManiacs in Calne Wiltshire. Turned up at the door only to find a closed sign displayed, I could see people inside so I called them, the door opened, I purchased what I needed and I left there happy.

Not in their defence but playing devils advocate, the store was closed so the fact that they even came out to see you and check with the manager is something I guess?
Even if they did have it in stock, like he said, the tills are closed.

I've never used them but unfortunately for them, reputation goes a long way so I would think twice about buying from them.

Strange how the other BIG internet retailer (the one that's won the award for best store a few years on the run) always has the the time to talk to you, they even called me to offer me a better product at a reduced price! Now that's real service.
Chris Bott - Moderator31/03/2011 12:18:17
6810 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles
Posted by ken anderson. on 31/03/2011 07:25:16:
hello chris.....i would not even give them my buisness.......go some where else for what you need......

ken anderson ne..1.

Don't worry Ken.

I've already ordered some film on line elsewhere. The cost is actually cheaper than the extra diesel I used yesterday, so if it's the wrong colour I've still lost less, and I have some spare film for something else.
Michael Hickman31/03/2011 13:01:09
322 forum posts
9 photos
I too was disappointed with the customer service at Slough.

I emailed a request for details on the Futaba 8FG, no reply after two weeks. The TX only was on a good deal at the time, not so good now, but at least I will be spending my hard earned pennies with a business that I know will respond if I need them!

Mike
Spice Cat31/03/2011 16:49:19
1304 forum posts
129 photos
I seem to recall that there was a similar thread about Al's Hobbies and the man himself took time to reply via this forum. Will this model shop do the same as no doubt they will be aware of this thread by now.
I too attended a model shop in Kent and spent well over three hundred pounds in there. Probably to them in the grand scale of things; not a huge amount but to me quite a sum. I left feeling somewhat disgruntled as it appeared I had ruined their peace by going in there in the first place.
I know some people do have a bad day (I have a PhD in the subject) but on this occasion, the whole shop were unhelpful and rude. You would think in these days of retail strangulation, LMS's would be bending over backwards.
There, got it off my chest.

Chris Bott - Moderator31/03/2011 17:01:40
6810 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles
I agree, you would think they would have some sort of clue about "delighting customers".

This saga obviously has some sort of gremlin in the works. Last night I ordered a metre of the film from Pete Tindal. The emails I've had have indicated it is already on it's way
But guess what, I went into my local emporium this afternoon and they have tons more film in stock than before, including the one I've ordered on line.

Dusty31/03/2011 18:13:05
1632 forum posts
560 photos
Ha ha funny this Chris,

I was in the UK a few weeks ago, had a appointment in Surrey which lasted all of 20mins, so when done I had pre empted a few addresses of model shops into the Tom Tom en route to Stansted where I had a return flight back to Zeefatherland. Anyway the mentioned was the nearest off route, so as I had time to kill I thought I would drop into the model shop and see what it was like!

Driving through Slough was like driving in Joburg in South Africa lol, anyway I found the shop, went in and had a gander! I decided I needed some bits and bobs that would be too big to fit in my overnight bag and too big for hand lugage, so I asked the guys in there if I could order the parts, pay etc and if they would post it over for me a day or 2 later if possible! The reply to my question was "no you can buy the parts and then go to the local post office down the road and post them to yourself".

Some people must be making far to much money to care about customer service these days! I will NEVER give them a penny, many more willing to help people out there!
Steve W-O31/03/2011 18:19:23
2775 forum posts
310 photos
Posted by Dusty on 31/03/2011 18:13:05:

Driving through Slough was like driving in Joburg in South Africa lol,

Yes, good description, just like Hilbrow, though I think those in Hilbrow would be far more polite.

Slough is the only place in the UK I have found such a horrible atmosphere, and such rude people. That was 9 years ago, seems like it hasn't changed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!