Forum sponsored by CML

Chris's Webbit

Build log in photos

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danny Fenton27/04/2011 15:02:37
9318 forum posts
4125 photos
yes you are right the repair looks ugly! Only kidding I didn't notice If it is solid that is far more important

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator27/04/2011 16:21:39
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Posted by Chris Bott on 27/04/2011 14:56:56:
Tell me the repair doesn't look so bad?

What repair?

BEB
Tim Mackey27/04/2011 16:24:42
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Looks fine Chris...stop fussing man and get it broke again
Chris Bott - Moderator27/04/2011 17:28:17
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
Thanks guys.

Tim would you take some of this wind we have for your slope soaring, we don't want it down here.
Tim Mackey27/04/2011 21:37:39
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
yes please....especially westerly
Big Bandit28/04/2011 08:59:00
2436 forum posts
947 photos
Looks great Chris, and a very patriotic scheme.

Chris.
Chris Bott - Moderator06/05/2011 21:17:08
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
Just back from finally having another go with the VeeBit.The wind dropped, I was available and there was still light - amazing.

However, stiffening up the rear end hasn't helped much so I started trying to sort things out with compensating mixes. Not something I really like to do.

Tonight though I added a little aileron to rudder mix. Of course the first time I didn't think, put in positive numbers and of course it was the wrong way. That did prove though, by making things worse, that I might be barking up the right tree. So a quick landing and changing to negative numbers and she's up, tracking around turns much more like a conventional model.

OK with aileron not making the tail drop like it had been, attention was paid to rudder. I'd been avoiding using it too much ,cos It had seemed very powerful when I used it to correct this drop in the tail. Now though rudder was definitely having the effect of dropping the nose, even in level flight. But I spent so much time in different attitudes trying to prove to myself this was happening that the light started to fail.

So home again now, I'll be looking at the V tail programming, to see if I can get it to give me more on the up going taileron than the down one, when rudder is applied.

Plenty more to play with when I get the chance. The Coupled Aileron to Rudder (CAR) is compensating for what seems like severe adverse yaw. I had tried aileron differential before, but that didn't seem to help. I may revisit that.

There is also an odd blip of down when I bring in the flaps. Need to investigate that too, it's odd 'cos after half a second the trim is back to OK again.

TTFN from a much happier WebBiteer

Geoff Smith 106/05/2011 21:20:32
545 forum posts
88 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/04/2011 22:50:50:
That'll learn yer to have a "holey" aeroplane!

Mind you, I don't think you are wholly to blame!

As long as you don't make a "holy" mess of the repair you should OK. Take a holistic approach to it that's my advice.

BEB

PS I like the trim - wholesomely patriotic!

PS Better stop digging myself into a hole with these puns - though I have a whole lot more of them if you want

Can you get these from a whole sailor?

Chris Bott - Moderator06/05/2011 21:30:32
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
Posted by Geoff Smith 1 on 06/05/2011 21:20:32:

Can you get these from a whole sailor?

Chris Bott - Moderator06/05/2011 21:30:34
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
double post, site is slow tonight

Edited By Chris Bott on 06/05/2011 21:31:07

Chris Bott - Moderator08/05/2011 21:52:41
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
Another breakthrough

I've worked out why the Veebit dips it's nose so violently when flaps are applied, but then returns to neutral trim.

The wonderful DX8 transmitter is adding a spurious input. Even odder is that it only happens if there is some elevator trim present. When trim is neutral this down blip does not occur.

Does anyone know how I can pass this back to Spectrum?

Here's (a rubbish) video proof.

Pete B - Moderator08/05/2011 22:18:05
7628 forum posts
733 photos
If you can post the link on this thread, Chris, I'm sure it will be picked up by Andy Kunz, the Spekkie Tekkie ()pretty quickly.

Pete
Chris Bott - Moderator08/05/2011 22:22:55
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
Thanks Pete will do.

Pete B - Moderator08/05/2011 22:41:22
7628 forum posts
733 photos
I'm tempted to echo Tommy Cooper's doctor and say, "Well, don't add elevator trim then", Chris, but that wouldn't be very helpful, would it?............

It looks like you have spoilerons and flap settings with normal flight at the mid-point. With the flap settings, do you have ele compensation set? If you remove the ele comp, does it still blip?

I'd be inclined to copy the Webbit settings to another memory slot, take out the flap settings and then reintroduce them bit by bit and see what happens. This isn't very scientific but I can't think of a better way of investigating it. If I say any more I'd only be guessing, so over to you..........

Pete
Chris Bott - Moderator08/05/2011 22:50:39
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
Thanks Pete but no I have no elevator compensation set up. If that were in, the elevators would just move and stay in their new position and not go back to neutral.

I have been right through a webbit setup on another memory from scratch and it didn't do it at all, until I added that down trim.

You're absolutely right though, "don't add elevator trim" that will be my fix for the time being. I'll add my required bit of down trim by adjusting the push rods, with the transmitter reset to zero trim.
Pete B - Moderator09/05/2011 07:36:57
7628 forum posts
733 photos
Seems you have a result, Chris - apparently this issue has been sorted in the next software update

Pete
Chris Bott - Moderator09/05/2011 08:11:35
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
Mm so it seems Looks like they got to it before me.
It's being referred to as "the flap issue" so it may be more common than with just V tails??

I'm pleased that the software can be updated so easily
Pete B - Moderator09/05/2011 08:32:46
7628 forum posts
733 photos
Yes, the software updates are excellent. I've just run through my conventional-tailed models with flap programming and I don't get any sort of blip showing up so it may be specific to the tail type part of the programming.

Pete

Chris Bott - Moderator09/05/2011 08:39:09
6724 forum posts
1392 photos
1 articles
OK great. Did you try any with a good amount of trim dialed in?

I have another issue for them but I need to have a good check that I have it right in my head before I write anything.

This model seems to respond more to down elevator than up. Which is no great issue, except when using rudder inputs, the nose goes down too much for my liking.
So I tried to think of a way for rudder to add more movement on the up going elevator than the down going one.
I found I can do a mix from rudder to either elevator individually. But I gave up because it actually moved both elevators the same. Must try again and see if it does.
Pete B - Moderator09/05/2011 09:56:13
7628 forum posts
733 photos
Tried it again with and without trim. Without trim, the elevator moves smoothly to the next setting. Introducing up or down trim, the elevator momentarily 'over-throws' itself, perhaps up to 10 or 15%, before returning to the set value, i.e:

Ele set to -20% (lots of down trim); move to flap pos 1, ele moves to -40% before returning to correct setting of -29%.

Switching from flap position 1 (-29%) to position 2, the ele momentarily moves to -49% before settling at -40%.

So indeed there is an effect with normal tails.

This only occurs in a fraction of a second and I haven't noticed any effect in flight but I do have my controls set rather softly. The 'V' tail is probably a good deal more sensitive, perhaps?

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us