Articles

The Webbit time-lapse build

The Webbit time-lapse build

Check out the building and covering videos! - 27/4/11

Vecchio Austriaco19/04/2011 08:47:58
1498 forum posts
707 photos
Danny,
the fine pins with glass head are rather common at the continent. So if needed send me a PA and I purchase them on the weekend in a supermarket in Italy.
You can get them also on the island - Al's Hobbys Wolverton have them either in a small clear plastic box or pinned in a cardboard disc .
Will have a look at the Video at the weekend. (No adsl in my temporary flat and stupid filters in the office...)
Danny Fenton19/04/2011 09:04:10
9451 forum posts
4261 photos
Hi VA I must confess I didn't look at Als. Until you have used the fine pins you wont know why I am fussy, you clearly understand exactly why they make such a difference.

Thanks VA Al in the UK stocks them too I have always had too few and wished I had more. now I can get some. Thanks for the kind offer to pick some up it is much appreciated. But hopefully I should be okay now.

Hope you enjoy the vid And yes I notch the rear spar in case you wonder what I am doing

Cheers
Danny
Tim Mackey19/04/2011 10:05:35
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Super stuff Danny - and BTW my comments on U tube page have been duplicated - I think I pressed twice - please kneck one of them
Sorry couldn't watch the "live event" I have been away for a few days on wedding duties.
Truly brilliant effort mate
Danny Fenton19/04/2011 10:54:49
9451 forum posts
4261 photos
Thanks Tim, It was good fun. And thanks for the comments on Youtube it is much appreciated.

If anybody is interested in the software for doing both the web cam and the stop motion it was done using the freely downloadable package WeCamXP. My thanks to Chris Bott for testing the software and giving me technical support throughout the project. Couldn't have done it without you mate The tech specs are that it took a pic every 5 secs, all those pics (11,413 of them) were pasted into Windows Movie maker, and the frame duration set to 0.1 sec. It was then a three hour process going through and deleting any frame that I was not in.

PS I didn't start til 8Am so IT IS DOABLE....... anybody else going to have a crack at a Webbit in a day?

Cheers
Danny

Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models)20/04/2011 00:23:41
291 forum posts
79 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 19/04/2011 08:39:28:
Thanks chaps, your comments have made me feel it was all worthwhile.Thank you

Steve you are more than welcome to a copy on DVD just PM me the address you want it sending to.
I was toying with making another time lapse showing the covering stage and tagging it on but that will make the video a bit too long. If you want a seperate video let me know.

Martin, to me, encouraging others to have a go at building was at the heart of the Webbit mass build. If you are enjoying the build, just wait until your creation is at the end of the runway, the test flight will mean a lot more than any artf flight you will make, trust me its different when you have made it all. And when you land at the end of a succesful maiden you can measure the size of your grin in feet.

Cheers
Danny

Hi Danny,

BIG THANKS in anticipation

Can you send it to Steve Webb C/o Steve Webb Models, 80 Church Street, Frodsham, Cheshire, WA66QU - is it O.K if I post it to SWM's You tube, witht he appropriate credit to you and links to here to encourage even more people to have a go at building.

I can also get it on a loop to play on the shop videos - it makes a change from ready to go video promo's!

Please put your return address so I can send you some decals etc.

It's an excellent effort and I'm sure it will encourage people to have a go, maybe if not with a webBit, with something else.

I've mentioned that SWM has decided to keep donating £5 per kit until at least 4 weeks after the fly in, just in case we catch any more sales from the Fly In. I was going to see if we could carry it on another 6 to 8 weeks as I'm sure we can get past £500 for charity.

Seprate video re the covering is fine, but dont bother if its a problem. The time lapse build is fine! More than I could expect!

The whole thing is getting quite emotional. The little WebBit back out there, retro fun!

Big Thanks

Steve

Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models)20/04/2011 21:49:41
291 forum posts
79 photos
Hi Danny

PM sent. Many Thanks

Steve
David Ashby - Moderator21/04/2011 15:02:56
10987 forum posts
1706 photos
614 articles
Love the video Danny .

John Payne21/04/2011 23:07:03
163 forum posts
63 photos
I have to say that is an excellent piece of work. Very well done.

Cheers, John.
Danny Fenton21/04/2011 23:10:51
9451 forum posts
4261 photos
Thanks David and John

Cheers
Danny
Vecchio Austriaco22/04/2011 08:55:50
1498 forum posts
707 photos
Impressive video. Now we are all waiting for part 2 - covering the bird.
By the way - I made the wings in one day and was quite happy with my speed. Was - now that I saw the speed of the master...
Chris Bott - Moderator23/04/2011 20:41:44
6809 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles

Anyone around?
Danny's at it again, this time covering his WebBit
If someone posts here now and again, it will keep the thread at the top while he's working.
Click here
for a direct link with a bigger pic.

Edited By Chris Bott on 23/04/2011 20:59:50

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator23/04/2011 21:18:28
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
If you want to watch Danny covering his WebBit live on Webcam here's the link. Takes a few mins to become active.

BEB
Pete B - Moderator23/04/2011 21:25:43
7639 forum posts
733 photos
Ha, sounds like me in the morning, BEB! I hope Danny doesn't iron his T-shirt to the fus - the colours are very similar

Pete
Danny Fenton23/04/2011 21:32:57
9451 forum posts
4261 photos
Sorry guys I thought I would try Toughlon and I am having real problems. It doesn't stick like my Solarfilm does so I am not able to tack and run. I am close to binning the covering and starting again with solarfilm......The tail piece I have stuck down several times to see it just leap up again with very little provocation.

Anybody have an hints?

Cheers
Danny
Pete B - Moderator23/04/2011 21:36:23
7639 forum posts
733 photos
No experience of Toughlon but Oracover takes a lot more heat than Solarfilm. Try an offcut on the sole of the iron?

Pete
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator23/04/2011 21:39:18
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
You'll need Balsaloc to get it to stick down Danny! And more heat!

BEB
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator23/04/2011 21:46:27
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Looks like Danny's given up on the toughlon - he's removed it!

BEB
Pete B - Moderator23/04/2011 21:46:30
7639 forum posts
733 photos
My, that's coming off too cleanly, Danny - silly question but I read the backing on Toughlon can be a bit of nightmare to remove - I take it you removed it?

Looks like Solarfilm's the better alternative right now!

Pete
Danny Fenton23/04/2011 21:50:01
9451 forum posts
4261 photos
Well, I am not a fan of Toughlon. It was behgaving as though I was trying to stick solarfilm on ply. My fueslage is balsa.

The heat suggested is 121 degrees C. I started at that and ended up at 146 degs C the max the film is supposed to take is 132...... Toughlon is supposed to be low temp.... it just doesn't want to stick, the adhesive goes very tacky but nothing like other films.

Must be doing something wrong

Cheers
Danny

Chris Bott - Moderator23/04/2011 22:06:18
6809 forum posts
1427 photos
1 articles
For anyone reading this after the event, heres a few pics.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!