Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Receiver position

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Smith 120/04/2011 14:13:29
545 forum posts
88 photos
Hiya all. I've put this question on the CMB topic 'cos although it relates to the Webbit build it is a general electric flight query. As this is my first electric build I am in a quandary as to where to place the receiver. I understand from reading other posts that it could be critical with regards to signal reception being shielded by the battery. Any suggestions gratefully received. Cheers my friends.

Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No: 20
Steve W-O20/04/2011 14:16:51
2775 forum posts
310 photos
What frequency?

There is plenty of room behind the servos etc for the antenna
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator20/04/2011 14:20:22
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Geoff if you are on 2.4 it doesn't really matter much. If your on 35MHz then conventional wisdom states that it is best to ensure that the aerial run avoids the power leads, either battery to ESC or ESC to motor. Some folks add a ferrite ring on the ESC to Rx connection as well I believe.

BEB
Steve W-O20/04/2011 14:24:46
2775 forum posts
310 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 20/04/2011 14:20:22:
Geoff if you are on 2.4 it doesn't really matter much.
BEB

I wouldn't put it up against the battery or a servo or similar, still better for it to be in a position with a "clear view" all round as much as possible.

I have seen some receivers (2.4) where the antenna just sticks out of the receiver for an inch, if it is one of them, try and get it as high as possible above the other electrics.

If it has a decent length of cable, try to get it as far back as possible, where there are less obstructions
Geoff Smith 120/04/2011 15:21:35
545 forum posts
88 photos
Hiya all. Typical me, half the story again. I'm on 2.4 and the receiver has a short single aerial lead. I'll put it back then as long as the servo leads can reach. The light weight of the receiver will not upset the CG much. Ha! Ha! Cheers my friends.

Geoff

Richard Harris20/04/2011 16:35:58
1991 forum posts
1823 photos
Geoff,
I always try to get my receiver back beyond everything else, the reason being in the event of a crash the inertia of most things with a mass will go forwards. If the receiver was in front of any of these items they aren't going to stop for a receiver and they are not cheap!
It is always advisable to wrap them in foam to protect them vibration as well.

Rich
Geoff Smith 120/04/2011 21:14:19
545 forum posts
88 photos
Many thanks for this gentlemen. Just one more newby question. With the receiver in the rearward position the only problem I will have is with the ESC connection to the receiver. My question is will a standard servo extension lead do or will I need a special one beings as it's connected to the ESC? Cheers

Geoff

Tim Mackey20/04/2011 22:08:33
20930 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Standard extension lead is fine.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us