Forum sponsored by CML

Any ideas about how to fix this?

I've gone and been an idiot.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PatMc26/04/2011 19:35:26
4191 forum posts
520 photos
I've rectified wash-in the more or less as Peter described on a built up all sheeted Seychelle glider wing & on a couple of badly made foam veneered wings. Only difference was that I did it with a single grain-wise slit root to tip & used PVA or epoxy.
On a couple of the models the wings were already Solarfilmed so a span wise thin strip of the existing film was removed & a wider strip of contrasting coloured film hid the repair with a matching strip applied to the other wing.
Alan Cantwell26/04/2011 19:53:07
3039 forum posts
sorry, i cannot see how you can tip the tip up by using a span wide cut, suerly all that can do is benda the back end up a tad--the enitre back end, several 45degree slits will let the wing twist from the tip, to the root, the models we where sorting where a lot bigger than the seychelle though
Peter Miller26/04/2011 19:54:58
10070 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
I only descibe fixes that I have used myself and that I know work.

As I see it, cutting the sheet at 45 degrees cuts across the grain thus weakening the sheeting. slitting down the length does not weaken the wing.
Peter Miller26/04/2011 20:00:20
10070 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
The reason that the wing is stiff is that the leading edge is a sealed D box. slitting the sheet down the grain allows it to slide and twist. The glue then seals the D box again and stops it sliding back to its original position.

Now you can tell me that you don't see how it does. OK. All I can say is. IT DOES work, It worked for me on a badly warped wing that had wash in after major repairs.
Alan Cantwell26/04/2011 20:00:32
3039 forum posts
fair enough peter, but the engineering in the fix reinforces every overlapping slit, i also know it works, and works well, vary the amount of slits for how much washout is needed, we didnt slit every inch, on the stang wing, it was every 8 inches on an 88"wing, on a, say, 60 inch wing, i would suggest every 4-5inch
Peter Miller26/04/2011 20:02:32
10070 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
But when I did it I didn't need any overlapping. the wing was still as smooth as when it was first made.

Right, off to get my supper.
Alan Cantwell26/04/2011 20:03:42
3039 forum posts
both ideas have merit Peter, mine worked, mine is the way i will use, if you see the way this stang got thrown around, you would be impressed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us