Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Question about radio controllers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jamie Gracie03/05/2011 22:28:29
1 forum posts
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about getting myself into RC aircraft for a while and I'm planning to get myself a really simple electric trainer just like the one you recommend in your Beginners start here article. After i've gotten a feel and a taste for the hobby i'll go to my local club and see what they are suggesting in the way of IC planes but i wanted to ask a wee question about the radio controller...

If i am planning on getting another aircraft in the future should i buy a decent controller, and what would you suggest? I assume i could use it for more than one model?

I see you tend to advise against all in one kits...fair enough...but what would i need to buy in addition to the aircraft trainer recommended to be able to try my 1st flight?

Thanks

Jamie
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator03/05/2011 22:46:51
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
If you are intending to go on to IC and another models Jaime then yes I would suggest that you invest in a decent transmitter. Either a Spektrum DX6i or a Futaba EX6 2.4 GHz would do nicely. You would also need to buy a compatable receiver - but the model shop will steer you right there.

depending on what model you buy you may need to purchase a speed controller and some servos - but these may well come with your model.

The three main pieces of advice I would give you are:

1. Don't wait - get down to your local club now - they can give you a lot of help and advice at this all important early shopping phase.

2. Get insured before you fly. If you join a club this will come with the membership. If you're determined to go it alone (and I wouldn't recommend it) then check out the BMFA website to purchase insurance directly.

3. Go and talk to the guys at your local reputable model shop - they often have deals for beginners and good model shops give good advice - they want you to suceed and come back for more! Don't know which is a reputable model shop near you? See point 1 - they can tell you!

BEB
birdy03/05/2011 22:59:56
1423 forum posts
110 photos
When choosing your transmitter you might want to see what brand(s) the people at your local club use and especially what the instructors use; If they are the same make then you can can connect the transmitters and use one as a buddy box.

And yes you can use it for more then one model.

Chances are that there will be someone willing to let you have a go on their trainer or there's a club trainer before you decide (inevitably ) that you want to buy your own model. The guys at your local club will tell you what you need, as well as the local model shop.
Ernie04/05/2011 17:02:15
2513 forum posts
20 photos
Hi Jamie,

Do join a club right away. You will certainly need some help to fly even the easiest of trainers. Also, insurance is essential. Think of the havoc you can reap, even with the lightest and smallest of aircraft

ernie
Ben B06/05/2011 17:24:00
1407 forum posts
4 photos
I have to say the club route is the one for me. Most club members are very friendly. When I was a youngster (many moons ago) and interested in the hobby I went to a few different clubs whilst on holidays etc. I got quite a few free flights that way and having a quick go with the sticks helped me decide what type of model to go for etc etc.

On the other hand if you are determined to go it alone I'd strongly recommend buying a simulator. Infact there is a version of the Phoenix simulator that even comes with a Spektrum full range transmitter that you can then just buy a receiver for the plane for...

But I'd still recommend going to a club and getting someone to trim your plane before you have a go.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us