Forum sponsored by CML

Simple Electronics

What about the 'E' bit?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Skeldon 106/05/2011 08:37:53
108 forum posts
Hello there,

I've been reading RCM&E for many years now and wanted to say that I love the mag and even more so the website. However I would like to ask if it would be possible to introduce more content on the Electronics side of the hobby/sport.

I realise that there is every electronic item you could think of, available to us moddelers, however I think a series of basic projects would create some genuine interest and possibly stimulate the thought process for many modellers.

To start with, what about a simple device that switches from the main RX power supply to a back up supply should voltage drop out, this might include a LED to show that there has been a problem. A small vero board and a handfull of cheap electronic items such as a transistor and zener diode are all that is needed. I know that we can buy a power box, but that is far more complex and not exactly cheap

Other projects might be, homemade UBEC, or a glow driver from a lipo, or a simple RX switched open/close circuit etc.

Thank you,

Ian Skeldon
David Ashby - Moderator08/05/2011 13:40:25
10922 forum posts
1680 photos
610 articles
Hi Ian

Thank you for your thoughts, all noted.

It's a subject that's cropped up here before for discussion of course. We've a few irons in the fire at the moment and some may hopefully come to fruition.

If anyone out there has a simple electronics project they think would be suitable then we're always happy to chat.

Peter Wood08/05/2011 13:57:55
244 forum posts
Perhaps if these articles are not forthcoming, an explanation about how a brushless motor work, and a brushless controller. I am not all that keen on the aerodynamics articles and don't often read them, but wouls like to know how the above items work.

Peter
Tom Wright 208/05/2011 14:36:59
3908 forum posts
297 photos
Hi Ian.
Perhaps its a good idea to have a sound knowledge of basic aerodynamics before considering add on electronics that could invalidate the CE mark.

I do like Peters idea of EP motor discussion this would help loads of people that are starting out with EP.

Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 08/05/2011 14:37:48

Edited By tom wright 2 on 08/05/2011 14:38:15

Peter Wood08/05/2011 16:33:04
244 forum posts
My point was that some of the aerodynamics are much more than basics, and I have some people disagreeing with some of the advanced ideas, were as the majority of modellers have no want to design a model their desire is to know the best artf to suit their flying style. I do wonder if some of the chinese copy receivers could carry a CE mark

Peter
Tom Wright 208/05/2011 16:58:17
3908 forum posts
297 photos
Peter.

Most modellers probably don't want to build or design electronics a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing , many are struggling with how to solder .

I don't want to sound critical or discourage any discussion indeed there are lots of threads on the forum that involve electronics ,one off our bun eating MODS is well known for his postings on the subject .

I don't think unmarked Chinese receivers are relevant its more a case of expensive equipment that becomes none compliant and not eligible for warranty work following user modifications.

Why not post a circuit with component list and build instructions and see what happens, there are quite a few genned up electronics guys on the forum who i am sure would be interested.

Cheers

Tom.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 08/05/2011 17:01:41

Edited By tom wright 2 on 08/05/2011 17:04:51

Phil 908/05/2011 17:02:56
4284 forum posts
237 photos
the "E" has seemed to have disappeared from RCM&E.

some asked on here about charching flight box battery from the power pannel.

I also noticed at the club one time light load electric flyer "I have no need for a flight box " now carrying batteries and chargers to the pitts for charging flight batteries. maybe an electric flight box project with info about how many charges you can get from a car battery for example setups.

and choosing an electric setup for a model is still a bit of a mystery (to me anyway I have to ask Timbo)

Tom Wright 208/05/2011 17:09:01
3908 forum posts
297 photos
Hi Phil.
Yes all your comments and suggestions are spot on as the discussions would not involve actually building electronics.Maybe i have got it wrong but building electronics is a big subject

Tom ex electronics enginer 1806 LOL.

Edited By tom wright 2 on 08/05/2011 17:11:43

Edited By tom wright 2 on 08/05/2011 17:21:49

Phil 908/05/2011 17:17:20
4284 forum posts
237 photos
I think the old style build your own electronics has had its day. too many cheap electronics readily availabe for pennies when to but the individual components would just cost to much.

but that does not mean electronics has vanished from the hobby but they are used in a different way
NigelH08/05/2011 17:21:12
891 forum posts
1 photos
In the mean-time Ian, there's lots of cool electronics stuff here

I have to say that although I was building circuits as a kid, I think that even general purpose electronics hobbyist magazines (with the exception of Elektor) only publish pretty lame projects these days. For example, there were always radio receiver projects but nowadays, when you can buy a simple radio for a quid, you'd have to want to pay a load more cash and spend the time to build it as much as you'd want the radio. And then it would look like you made it and not offer as good reception.

Even what I'd call the real amateur electronics experts, the radio hams, have had to dumb down with their Foundation Licence. Things have changed for them, with the internet offering incredible communications opportunities for next to nothing with no proper skills needed. I think that the Foundation License was designed to keep the numbers up.

BB08/05/2011 17:35:38
1182 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by Phil B on 08/05/2011 17:17:20:
I think the old style build your own electronics has had its day. too many cheap electronics readily availabe for pennies when to but the individual components would just cost to much.

but that does not mean electronics has vanished from the hobby but they are used in a different way
Not sure I agree, there is an excellent thread on RCMF for a homebuilt servo tester at a third of the price you would be expected to pay anywhere else on the net.

BB
birdy08/05/2011 17:54:22
1423 forum posts
110 photos
Posted by Basildon Biggles on 08/05/2011 17:35:38:

Not sure I agree, there is an excellent thread on RCMF for a homebuilt servo tester at a third of the price you would be expected to pay anywhere else on the net.

BB

Tried GiantCod?

On topic, I would want a decent explanation of how a lot of things in our hobby work: A large number of flyers have no idea how an esc or 2.4 rx works for example. Or how to wind an electric motor for different kvs. In fact, perhaps the Fly Electric column could actually be about electronic stuff rather than just lots of reviews of electric models and accessories?
Phil 908/05/2011 18:03:50
4284 forum posts
237 photos
Posted by Basildon Biggles on 08/05/2011 17:35:38:

BB
there is always the exception. but you can not build your own micro circuits use to produce a small rx

there are things you may want to build yourself a servo tester maybe or a bespoke light system to suit a particular model
BB08/05/2011 18:19:02
1182 forum posts
32 photos
Except that Phil. But, there are plenty of exceptions to the convenience of consumerables. As, for Birdy's 'Giant Cod' - agreed, and an example, on point.

BB
Phil 908/05/2011 18:24:52
4284 forum posts
237 photos
maybe we might see some in the mag BB it would be nice. It does sometimes feel like the reviews of products are just an extention of the adverts
birdy08/05/2011 18:34:48
1423 forum posts
110 photos
Yes. I can't think of any review I've seen which hasn't recommended the model in the conclusion - even in the recent p51B review it said it was a good model, despite all the problems with the build and the price. And from the photos I didn't even think it looked that good - you can see the canopy hatch easily.

Rant over.

More on topic, what about modifications - for example how to change the switch on a transmitter to a rotating thing?
Phil 908/05/2011 18:41:01
4284 forum posts
237 photos
Birdy that is another good area to cover.

Many mod there equpment. ie I have added a back light to my DX6i and I have seen Timbo do threads on mods on this forum. there was even a recent artical in the mag about fitting a tx with rechargable batteries. Although modifing equipment may invalidate warranties people are still prepared to carry them out
Peter Wood09/05/2011 07:27:00
244 forum posts
I beleive changing a style of power switch or a backlight on a tx would make it non ce approved and hence invalidate BMFA insurance, Were is the article on building a servo tester.
Peter
Ian Skeldon 109/05/2011 09:43:25
108 forum posts
Hi All,

Erm yes thought provoking indeed. Tom Wright 2, your point is a good one but to be honest that has been covered many times already and at the end of every such series we are left understanding that there are laws of physics at work but some exceptions can be expected because of the scale effect.

However I have already put a simple 2 cell Lipo into my DX6i. Before you all jump on the PC bandwagon, yes I know that this will cancel my warranty, that's why I waited until it was more than 12 months old, yes I also know that some will say what about CE compliance? Simple really, do you check that every cell you fit to your DX6i is CE compliant? If so you really need to get out and fly more, if not then the same argument is valid. This has provided me with a simple and very, very reliable voltage to the TX (incidently a small diode is used in series to drop the voltage).

Because my knowledge of electronics is very basic, I wouldn't want to suggest that others do what I have done, having said that, it works fantastic and there may be someone out ther ewith enough knowledge to provide a simple step by step project such as this.

I am also currently using a small second flight pack (againg via a diode) to act as a step over failure device in the event that the first goes open circuit or dies. Again this seems to work fine but I know that by using something like £5 or £6 worth of bits a real circuit could be used. I know that if I wish to spend £50 or £60 I can buy a powerbox, but that just doesn't appeal on my budget.

One final thought, most of the stuff we use today wouldn't be here if the great inventive minds had been told to think about CE or warranty etc, they had good ideas and saw them through. I know that more modellers could fly knowing they were better equipped if small simple projects like the ones I am attempting were given a good looking at by those more capable than me IMHO.

Ian

Ian Skeldon 109/05/2011 09:48:31
108 forum posts
Sorry, I forgot to thank you Nigel.

Thank you,

Ian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us