Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

New feathery additions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Smith 110/05/2011 08:26:10
545 forum posts
88 photos
Hiya all. I just couldn't resist telling you about this. I made my first bird box this year and put it in a tree outside my front window. Within 2 weeks a pair of Great Tits took up residence. We watched them going backwards and forwards for a few weeks and yesterday it all paid off. The parents enticed the little ones out of the box and there were 6 of 'em lined up on the branch and one by one they took off. Good luck to them. They almost feel part of the family. Cheers

Geoff

AKA Webiteer No: 20
Tim Hooper10/05/2011 08:38:21
2902 forum posts
2406 photos
Excellent!

I'm no ornithologist, but I do get an immense pleasure from feeding the garden birds every day. There are lots of different sorts that visit us - from little brown ones, all the way to big black ones. Oh, and some medium sized grey ones in between.

tim
Josip Vrandecic -Mes10/05/2011 08:53:24
2993 forum posts
260 photos
Bravo Geof ,now you feel an indescribable pleasure......This pleasant feeling I share with you.
Cheers Jo.
Martin Harris10/05/2011 10:16:28
9410 forum posts
255 photos
I say chaps - steady on!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/05/2011 10:16:49

Eric Bray10/05/2011 11:23:54
6600 forum posts
2 photos
Am I on twitter? Thought it was ... no, forget it!

Geoff Smith 110/05/2011 11:50:16
545 forum posts
88 photos
Posted by Eric Bray on 10/05/2011 11:23:54:
Am I on twitter? Thought it was ... no, forget it!

Groan!!

Josip Vrandecic -Mes10/05/2011 15:13:42
2993 forum posts
260 photos
Eric ,darling...immediately leave Goff's birds box ,and come home......lol
Cheers Jo.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator10/05/2011 16:48:50
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Reading the OP I was unsure whether to congratulate you or mod you Geoff!

Seriously, nothing like a bit of being in touch with nature and the renewal of live etc at this time of year - great stuff.

BEB
ken anderson.10/05/2011 17:21:59
8713 forum posts
808 photos
a Few year ago-i used to like watching the 'chicks' also.........

ken anderson ne...1('bird' watching dept)
Terence Lynock10/05/2011 17:35:17
2453 forum posts
46 photos
When we lived in the old house I had two big bird boxes that wereoccupied every year by either Blue Tits or Great Tits, I made the entrance hole so small the sparrows couldnt get in and to see a brain dead thicko Starling trying was excellent entertainment when only his head would go in the hole but Starlings just dont catch on that something is impossible do they?.
When we moved to south Wales I took the boxes with me, absolutely useless as all we saw every day was a mix of hooded crows, the odd Magpieand every sort of seagull imaginable, pigeons and the ever present Buzzards with the odd red kite now and then.
Now we are back in Shropshire its Greenfinches, Sparrows, three or four different varieties of Tit, Blackbirds,Thrushes, Robins,Goldfinches and all in quantity, it was worth moving back to Salop if only for the wildlife.

Tim Mackey10/05/2011 18:04:05
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Obviously went to the wrong part of Wales then Terrence
We have a varied selection of tits, thrushes, blackbirds, green and goldfinches, fieldfare, robins, spotted woodpeckers, Jays, and of course, up a bit higher than the table - gulls, buzzards, herons, kites and kestrels.
Here's woody earlier....not the best photo, but I only have a little point and shoot job these days.

Tony Bennett10/05/2011 18:29:01
5082 forum posts
129 photos
we get wild parakeets round here, noisy blighters.
Terence Lynock11/05/2011 18:39:58
2453 forum posts
46 photos
Around Maesteg it was like something out of a wild west film where you see the Vultures circling, seemed like everything was on the scrounge for food, crows, rooks, Buzzards, Kites, seagulls, pigeons, Magpies, you name it and it was on the scav for grub.
Geoff Smith 111/05/2011 20:54:47
545 forum posts
88 photos
Hiya all. Can't keep up with the little blighter's down here, we have to fill the bird table five or six times a day and still it's empty by evening. I've got four seed dispensers around the garden as well, all empty now as I look out of the window. I give 'em their breakfasts early in the morning before going to Bath. By the way, if any of you manage to get to Bath make sure you come and see me. I've got a stall selling Fair Trade Goods, I am at the top of Union Street at the junction with Upper Borough Walls. Cheers.

Del Boy Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No 20
Wiltshire Flyer12/05/2011 00:00:20
1565 forum posts
477 photos
Many years ago i was walking along Poole Quay near where i live, it was late evening, very cold and as i passed a slipway i noticed the body of a seagull bobbing in the small surf.

I walked over to see if it was still alive, and it was...barely...

I took it home, kept it warm and quiet for the night hoping for the best, and sure enough the next morning he was flapping about really lively, and somehow a little friendly i suppose, he didn't bite or panic and i even have a pic somewhere of him sat on my shoulder.

Anyway i took him back to where i found him, gave him a little kiss on the head and he was away, you would not have thought it was the same bird.

Can only assume he had somehow got too cold, well glad i found him.

That gave me a good feeling!

Now.......... um........... i seem to have made myself seem a little sensitive...hmm..... um........

Geoff Smith 112/05/2011 08:28:26
545 forum posts
88 photos
Posted by Dorset flyer on 12/05/2011 00:00:20:
Many years ago i was walking along Poole Quay near where i live, it was late evening, very cold and as i passed a slipway i noticed the body of a seagull bobbing in the small surf.

I walked over to see if it was still alive, and it was...barely...

I took it home, kept it warm and quiet for the night hoping for the best, and sure enough the next morning he was flapping about really lively, and somehow a little friendly i suppose, he didn't bite or panic and i even have a pic somewhere of him sat on my shoulder.

Anyway i took him back to where i found him, gave him a little kiss on the head and he was away, you would not have thought it was the same bird.

Can only assume he had somehow got too cold, well glad i found him.

That gave me a good feeling!

Now.......... um........... i seem to have made myself seem a little sensitive...hmm..... um........

Well done DF, a man after my own heart. If they can't help themselves it's up to us. Cheers mate.

Geoff

AKA Webbiteer No 20
00112/05/2011 10:03:01
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Every year we have a clump of 'red hot poker' blossom in the garden for a few days in June.

A woodpecker comes mid-day and feeds on the flower for nectar or seeds. I took some photos through a closed window, I tried with the window open, but the bird gets spooked easily.

Last year I set up my MD 80 mini video camera on a cane, which runs for about an hour. The only time it settled a car arrived next door and it flew off. Will try again next month.

Edited By Richard Bond on 12/05/2011 10:04:10

Terence Lynock16/05/2011 21:44:28
2453 forum posts
46 photos
About midday today we were just approaching a local traffic roundabout and I looked up to see the biggest Buzzard I have ever seen circling about 40 feet above us, probably on the scout for road kill.
The wingspan must have been close to four feet and male colouring, usually it is the hens that are the largest but this one really was king-sized.
Ian Jones16/05/2011 23:08:30
3226 forum posts
1401 photos
Posted by Terence Lynock on 16/05/2011 21:44:28:
About midday today we were just approaching a local traffic roundabout and I looked up to see the biggest Buzzard I have ever seen circling about 40 feet above us, probably on the scout for road kill.
The wingspan must have been close to four feet and male colouring, usually it is the hens that are the largest but this one really was king-sized.

Could it have something other than a buzzard Terence?

Sometimes a rare something or other turns up or escapes from captivity.

Ian

Edited By Ian Jones on 16/05/2011 23:14:45

Myron Beaumont17/05/2011 06:20:18
5797 forum posts
51 photos
We have a peanut feeder on the window for the blue tits and great tits, and now a woodpecker has started to feed as well. He braces his feet against the wall and hammers away at the peanuts. He is wary though, unlike the tits which tap on the window if the feeders are empty. We put a seed feeder in the hedge outside the kitchen window, and that brings chaffinches, yellowhammers, tree sparrows and dunnocks.
The swallows are back, and exploring buildings for nesting sites - including the house if the door is open!
Funnily enough although there are plenty of blackbirds around they only used the feeders in bad weather, and they won't come into the garden until the soft fruit are ripe, when they raid the blackcurrants.
There are buzzards over the valley, but very high up and are heard more than seen.
What surprised me this year is how tame the chaffinches are - they feed with the hens and flit happily around when we are outside - even saw one pecking about for food under the paws of a rather bemused dog!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!