By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Anyone attending the BMFA Nationals 2011?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

The Nats 2011

The Nats 2011

check out the pics and video! - 30/8/11

Tom T28/05/2011 17:03:03
743 forum posts
31 photos
Hi everyone,

Just thought id ask because i was wondering whether its any good?

Has anyone been in the past and could tell me, i would be very greatful

Thanx everyone
Tom T28/05/2011 17:03:29
743 forum posts
31 photos
Please may someone help
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator28/05/2011 17:32:20
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Tom, the Nats are brilliant - you'll love it!

Check out this thread for our adventures last year!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/05/2011 17:32:38

Alan Cantwell28/05/2011 18:54:55
3039 forum posts
The nats are brilliant, but its IMPERATIVE to go for at leat 2 days, stop on site, soak in the atmosphere,
  To go, say, sat morning, and leave at 5 oclock, is tantamount to insanity, the nats comes alive when the comp flying ceases, i was in charge of, and designed most of what happens but am now retired, having ensured its all in good hands, and i can tell you, that when the gates close, a lot of volanteers come out of the woodwork, and the fun starts!!!!

Heres what to do, get there saturday morn, or even better, after 5 on friday, stop until sunday night minimum, and expect to find this,

Best (if a tad dear) fish and chips ever,
the catering vans are arranged round the hangar doors in the evening, all catering is of a good standard,   food trade has its own place, right in the middle fo the model trade village

over 60 MODEL traders, all set up in the trade village,

the very BEST comp flying, both r/c, and c/l and the newly overhauled showline,

easy car access to ALL lines, no walking is needed, even Imac, over tuther side of the runway (i hope)

evening entertainment starts when the comp lines are shut down, with the free fright chuck and duck, overseen by safety marshalls, whoes WORD IS LAW!!!!!! seen by the Caa to be a good , and neccasary thing,

2.4 ghz line, where you, the public, are allowed to fly on the hallowed runways with sensible electric only,

netted electric inddor flying, all night, every night, 2.4 and 35mhz, a lot where flying during the day last year, on 2.4, but you would have to ask safety 1 on this issue, in the middle arena is kids chuckys, electric anything, helis, all get their own time slots, ALL indoor flying is marshalled, and marshalls have permission of the RAF to shoot offenders, its all a great party atmosphere, where aquantancies are met, and stories swapped,

try the Tiger Bitter, mmmmmmmm,  BUT WORD OF WARNING,   the airfield is the property of the crown, get caught driving with a skinfull inside you, and its the exact same penalties as driving on the road,  

sunday morning is swapmeet day, over 200 stall selling tat and treasures, be there early, tables are about £6 no need to book,  obay the marshalls, and use the car parks provided for the swapmeet

Monday is traditionally, finals day, best place to be is the team race circle, the atmosphere is unique, the airfield generaly winds down mid afternoon, and traders depart, whether the BMFA have done anything differant this year, i dont know, i am not involved anymore,

i am very proud to have been part of the team leadership roll in all of the above, and to have handed it down to guys who work ceaslessly for your enjoyment, am i going? if life deals good cards, YOU BET I AM!!!!!!!!
 please be kind to the small army of guys who, for a pittance, give up some of their nats time to make it run like clockwork for the punter, and their familys   

Edited By Alan C on 28/05/2011 19:01:20

Edited By Alan C on 28/05/2011 19:03:28

Plummet28/05/2011 19:11:39
1418 forum posts
41 photos
DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO (and that IS shouting.)

The free flight in the evenings just has to be experienced. Watch the control line team race. It is amazing. Grown men competing and cuddling at the same time?

Control line speed. Insane.

Control line pulse jet. Makes control line speed look sane.

Control line combat. What the hell are the rules, but it looks great fun.

The scale competition lines. The folk you see and admire in the mag, in the flesh, flying incredible models in uncertain weather conditions.

(If the cornish pastie truck is there they are v. good as well.)

Just do not expect too much sleep when you are camping. Some other folk can be less that considerate.

Hope to be there this year.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 28/05/2011 19:12:04

Alan Cantwell28/05/2011 19:19:45
3039 forum posts
there was a noisy zone put to one side for the more party campers, i hope they still do this, but a walk down to camp gate will get a bod down to sort the errant noisy ones out, canvas is not very good at keeping noise out though
Tom T28/05/2011 19:44:12
743 forum posts
31 photos
That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanx alot to Alan C, Plumment and biggles! Ill definately be there not sure whether ill stay there Friday night but ill probably go down on Saturday morning as i don't live far from Barkston Heath (if thats where it is)? and then stay over night until Monday morning.

From what you have told me and the youtube videos/ photos i have watched ill definatly be visiting! Also may take my Cessna Skylane for the evening flight if its open to the public because it sounds like a bit of fun!

Thanx once again!!

Tom
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator28/05/2011 19:49:13
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
If want it a bit quieter Plummet camp further up the runway away from the hangar end - its much quieter up there - that is until the pylon racing guys start warming their engines up at 8:00am!

Seriously - the Nats is great, I second everything Alan says, get yourself a tent and be prepared for a 3 day orgy of model aeroplanes. I'll tell how good the atmosphere is, my wife, 17 year old son and 14 year daughter (none of whom are particularly into model planes) wouldn't miss the weekend at the Nats for anything! My daughter watches the C/L team racing and loves it! You want see these guys refuel a model - they make the F1 guys look like amatures!

And the hangar in the evening just has to be excperienced to be believed - you mean that's actually marshalled Alan? Looks like bedlam to me! But great fun. Folks on here know I can be critical of the BMFA - but you've got to hand to them the Nats must be one of the best, and most unobstrusively, organised events in Britian.

BEB
Tom T28/05/2011 20:13:58
743 forum posts
31 photos
Once again that sounds amazing!!! I need to try and convince my Dad or Mum to take me. I have only just convinced my Mum to take me to the Wings and Wheels show but definatly need to try and get to the NATS for the weekend and the camping.

Do you think it will be easier to convince my parents to take me to this show or try and get my Dad into the Hobby so then he will want to go? Got any ideas on how to do that:L. I said that ill teach him how to fly but i don't think thats gunna do it. LOL

Thanx again for the advise!!

Tom

marcus roe28/05/2011 20:19:49
28 forum posts
you say you live local i live in lincolnshire as well and am going 2 go to wings and wheel and maybe the nats maybe i can give you a lift

Edited By marcus roe on 28/05/2011 20:20:33

Tom T28/05/2011 20:42:09
743 forum posts
31 photos
Thanx alot for the offer! I would but my parents probably wouldn't let me as i don't know you personally, not saying that you aren't a general person its just telling my parents that :L

Do you have any ideas how to persuade them?

Where abouts do you live?

What club do you go to?

Thanx

Tom

steve 128/05/2011 20:52:38
62 forum posts
61 photos
The Nats, been going for last 4 years arrive friday night away sunday night and i still dont think iv seen it all, though i do fly on the scale line. It's one of the highlights of the year for me not to be missed.
Steve
flytilbroke28/05/2011 20:53:14
2083 forum posts
5 photos
Not enough information is given yet on the BMFA website. I had to ask a couple of times to get most of what I needed, I have yet to get the info as to when we must leave the venue. This I need to allow booking overnight stops each way as I live 400 miles away from Barkston Heath

At least I got the camping application form as an attatchment to an E-mail. This form I think should be on the website.

I think there is a lack of direction perhaps, from management.

The office was pleasant and DID help.

The best event say all the guys I know, who have been.
marcus roe28/05/2011 21:05:30
28 forum posts
Posted by Tom is RC mad! on 28/05/2011 20:42:09:
Thanx alot for the offer! I would but my parents probably wouldn't let me as i don't know you personally, not saying that you aren't a general person its just telling my parents that :L

Do you have any ideas how to persuade them?

Where abouts do you live?

What club do you go to?

Thanx

Tom

that is no problem i live in tattershall and i have not joined a club as yet i am new 2 i can not fly as yet lol

Tom T28/05/2011 21:07:45
743 forum posts
31 photos
:L sounds good! steve are flying electric in the evenings if its still happening? and thanx Flytilbroke ill keep checking the website!

Wow where abouts do you live if you are 400 miles away! Thats a fairway to go, it must be good if you are going that far i think ill get the tickets :L Still need to convince my parents :L LOL!

Tom
steve 128/05/2011 21:15:59
62 forum posts
61 photos
Yes you can fly all sorts in the evenings and last year there were some flying wings with lights on very good to watch in the pitch black out side (away from hanger).
Steve
Tom T28/05/2011 21:21:42
743 forum posts
31 photos
Hi steve,

Thats sounds really good! Ill probably put some LEDs on my cessna skylane and take that. Do you need to arrange beforehand or can you just fly? Ill be staying over night in a tent probably.

Thanx

Tom
steve 128/05/2011 21:30:48
62 forum posts
61 photos
No you just turn up and fly in the hanger but to fly outside legally you'll need your B cert but not sure about the evenings and as long as it's only a small electric away from the campers.
Steve
Tom T28/05/2011 21:37:26
743 forum posts
31 photos
:L k ill make sure i have all that Thanx alot steve!

Tom
Alan Cantwell28/05/2011 22:44:01
3039 forum posts
when i devised the evening flying, i specified a B cert on the runway, but an A cert in the hangar, dont know if this is still the norm though, certain sizes of model have been allowed to fly in the campsite, but thats up to the present organisers,

as for entry and leaving the airfield, not before 17.00 hours on friday night, and if you dont mind helping to clean the place up, you can stop until tuesday, but on tuesday AM, the airfield gets turned back over to the RAF, the aircraft get flown back in, and you MUST be well away from the live side of the airfield,

its worth stopping to see just how quick it all dissapears!!!!! litter picker uppers are always welcome

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!