By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Damaged LiPo disposal - advice required please.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rick Devonshire05/06/2011 16:52:43
66 forum posts
My Radian crashed this morning, vertically with the motor running at full speed. and is now reduced to lumps of foam!
The battery fetched up against the back of the motor and is badly distorted. I have check and it is not leaking but it would seem prudent to scap it for safety.
It was fully charged before the (short) flight and I would therefore like to fully discharge it initially.
Since I have no other planes in which to run it down how do you suggest I go about it?
Any other helpful advice would be welcome.
boggy05/06/2011 17:04:05
159 forum posts
1 photos
Hi Rick
the easiest,safest method is to drop it into a container of salty water for a few days. The most fun,dangerous method is to stab it with a nail on the end of a stick!!

Of course i always recommend the first option!
Pete B - Moderator05/06/2011 17:06:03
7651 forum posts
734 photos
Make up a simple circuit with a lightbulb - car type will do - and when it is discharged, make a few incisions into the cells, drop it into a bucket of salty water and leave outside for 24 hours. It can then be disposed of with other household rubbish.

Pete
Tim Mackey05/06/2011 18:39:32
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
It may not be terminal - why not post a picture ( sorry about the 'plane )
Bob Cotsford05/06/2011 22:51:58
8566 forum posts
477 photos
just for giggles, after turning a lipo into a concertina (vertical landing at full throttle) I took it out in the garden and used a rolling pin to reshape it. It didn't burst into flames and after that it actually took a charge and I got several more flights out of it, admittedly it didn't live for long though. What really surprised me was that it survived this treatment at all.
I'm not suggesting this as a valid course of action, and when I did it I was wearing thick motorcycle gloves and eye protection, but it was interesting to find out just how tough these cells can be.
Salt water is the safe option though!
Rick Devonshire08/06/2011 14:09:03
66 forum posts
Thanks for all cautious and not so replies! Had I seen T.M's reply sooner I might have been tempted to give this LiPo a second chance, however it has been in a bucket of brine for a few days now awaiting disposal.
In the future I must cosider a battery mounting that has frontal cushioning to stop this sort of damage. Of course it would help if I was a better pilot!
Rick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!