By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Chinese takeaway scale gliders - any good?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matthew Lloyd01/07/2011 10:00:25
845 forum posts
195 photos
I keep looking at models like the Flyfly DG1000. SO cheap!

Are they rubbish? Built up wing may not take much slope abuse. Fuz may well be thinner than a squeezy bottle. I don't know - does anyone own one like this?
Lee Morgan01/07/2011 10:18:40
858 forum posts
28 photos
Buy it and let us all learn from your gain/mistake

Lee
Eric Bray01/07/2011 11:53:38
6600 forum posts
2 photos
Find my Revolutionmodels Fox thread, and wait and see! (It's from Hong Kong). I've not started assembling it yet, but the components look ok. I've also got a CMP (China) Discus CZ half assembled. The fuz was a bit thin, but strategic reinforcement internally with glass bandage should have sorted that.
Alex Leigh01/07/2011 14:06:59
892 forum posts
56 photos
1 articles
Every cheap one I've seen Matthew has an eggshell fuz, that's where they tend to break - either behind the wing or on the tail. Obviously, h'experienced man like yourself will be fine.

If it were me, I'd be clearing off the slope with a spatula.
Matthew Lloyd01/07/2011 16:15:11
845 forum posts
195 photos
I thought as much. But that DG looks so good...
Barrie Dav 202/07/2011 07:51:26
1012 forum posts
14 photos
I went in to a Chinese and asked the waiter if he they did take-aways and he said
'Yes - If you take 6 from 10 you get 4'.
Barrie Dav 202/07/2011 07:53:08
1012 forum posts
14 photos
I went in to a Chinese restaurant and asked the waiter if he they did take-aways and he said
'Yes - If you take 6 from 10 you get 4'.
Lee Morgan02/07/2011 08:57:35
858 forum posts
28 photos
oh dear !! lol

Gareth Wallis02/07/2011 09:35:40
18 forum posts
Matthew, I had, untill recently a CMP discuss which gave me 2yrs of fun off the slope. Just the basic one with extra glassing around the nose area and mixed in flaperons approx 10mm up for landing. First to go /crack will be the tail area as on most gliders even full size! Used thin cyno to repair then eventually glassed it though this adds weight. Not a 'floater' but still fun and for under £100. Have a FlyFly Salto now which is more sporty. Its a big jump in price If you go fully composite!
Ian Jones02/07/2011 10:22:10
3219 forum posts
1397 photos
Hi Matthew,

Mine had a crash & so of course has suffered but not to destruction and not as badly as I had expected it turn out, so I'm not too concerned about the integrity of the airframe. Those long wings are going to be tempting to ground in anything but a level landing and I would expext anything but the gentlest touch on the wing tips to put a lot of strain on the wing root.

I expect to get mine sorted "sometime this year" but the big issue for me which I will have resolve is it's desire to roll over and die! My fault or the DG? We will see

Anyway I hope the above is useful.

Ian

Florida Dave03/07/2011 03:17:02
2 forum posts

Hi, >>

I have purchased two Chinese gliders from R2Hobbies.com. One was their 3M Gliderman and the other was the 2M Advanced Thermo sailplane. The prices were about $250 US and $100 US for them delivered.>>

The 3M wing was very well made and the covering was certainly a 9+ although it was a bit on the heavy side @600g / 1/2. The fuse was glass, beautiful finish and the tail was impressive. There was a small problem with the CG. The fuse was 60" plus from the noseblock to the end of the tail and the wing was mounted a bit forward of my expectation. About 400g (yes, 13+oz) of lead in the nose got the CG at 35% of the chord along with a stout motor and a 3S lipo. If you’re thinking that this is a bit wonky, keep in mind that I am beginner and I didn’t know that this could be a disaster. Now I am much more experienced and am very sure that my suggestion "HARRY MOVE IT!!" was well founded. The wings are really nice and as soon as I remove a foot of fuse I'll have another go. I think it has possibilities.>>

The 2M was not nearly as exciting (that's not really true) because there were only four people that had to run. The 3M scattered at least 8 former friends. Being new I try to read as much about my new hobby as I can and I read that dihedral is a good thing for an RE bird. However, the 2M didn't have but an inch or so and I assumed that the builder knew what he was doing. The wing covering job was again a 9+ and the fuse was a bit wide but about the right length. The tail feathers were a bit heavy, but the CG got to 35% with a reasonable (100g) weight and all seemed in order.>>

Off to the field -- it flew with the motor nicely -- However, when I turned off the motor, I quickly began to understand the wisdom of dihedral. It flat would not respond to my wishes, but since there weren’t enough folks for a club quorum, I will probably survive as a member.>>

The workmanship of both of those birds was truly outstanding, but I think they lack some of the design skills that would make them a force to be reckoned with. I will get both of these in the air and flying reasonably well, and then get a beginner and give them a sailplane to learn on. >>

> >

ken anderson.03/07/2011 10:02:03
8547 forum posts
776 photos
it's a fact of modern life in our hobby-with out china we would still be paying for expensive modelling equipment....and even 100's of other things we depend on in our day to day lives...

ken anderson ne..1 international dept...
stephen wenban03/07/2011 23:52:09
99 forum posts
56 photos
Just for information I own 2 of the Fly Fly DG1000 1 Fly Fly ASW28 and the Fly Fly Salto.
the layup of the fuse is quite good ,however the fuse join is not taped its just cabosil,and needs a layer of glass carbon or kevlar in the nose and as far aft to the wing rootalong the belly pan as you can get, the whole range are only meant for slope,many have tried to electrify them and thermal ,forget it quick up quick down on the flat . They all fly fast and land fast .I've had them and flown them hard since 2008 ,out of all of them the ASW28 is my favourite it fly's on rails . They are great bang for the buck IMHO

Conwy Soarer13/07/2011 09:34:30
351 forum posts
213 photos
I have a windrider Habicht that I bought a few months ago, just started the fit out as the school holidays have started, will hopefully maiden it soon. All seems well with the construction and the Fuz seems strong enough, mind you the girth of its tail is quite large compared to modern gliders which tend to be skinny at the rear end and also vulnerable (even full scale) I was very happy with the service just a tad over 100 quid delevered and it came about 10 days after I hit the buy it button.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us