RCM&E April 2013 issue preview!

RCM&E April 2013 issue preview!

in the shops 8th March

Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Colin Budds rediscovers his love of autogyros

Richard Franks17/10/2018 17:27:50
15 forum posts

Thanks Richard is the plan still available. I have the Burky 2 and el bandito but not the cruiser. Can I buy it anywhere? Will have to check my piles of Rome to see if I have the free plan.still unsure about the play in the tower pro servos what did you use in the Panther?

David P Williams08/12/2018 12:43:52
818 forum posts
282 photos

Hi all - I bought a parts set from Sarik with their 10% off offer and am just starting to build the Panther. It will have an SC52FS and I just wanted to ask those who have gone this route whether they moved the firewall back or just fitted the engine to the firewall in it's plan position and had a longer nose>

Thanks, David

Steve Jones 208/12/2018 16:01:13
497 forum posts
369 photos

Hi David

I have 2 Panthers, the second fitted with an inverted SC52 fs. My engine is mounted to the bulkhead but the bulkhead was moved forward 15mm and the nose shaped to blend. Engine fits in cowl perfect and silencer shaped in side cheek. Cooling is not an issue and keeps the lines

Check out my Album on my profile for build pics and the engine installation - it’s the red model as the orange is the first with a 32 2stroke

Steve

Steve Jones 208/12/2018 16:01:27
497 forum posts
369 photos

Hi David

I have 2 Panthers, the second fitted with an inverted SC52 fs. My engine is mounted to the bulkhead but the bulkhead was moved forward 15mm and the nose shaped to blend. Engine fits in cowl perfect and silencer shaped in side cheek. Cooling is not an issue and keeps the lines

Check out my Album on my profile for build pics and the engine installation - it’s the red model as the orange is the first with a 32 2stroke

Steve

David P Williams08/12/2018 16:32:05
818 forum posts
282 photos

Thanks Sreve, I've looked through your album - I had seen some of these earlier in this massive thread. I'm surprised you moved the bulkhead forward, I was expecting to have to move it back to keep the prop in roughly the same place but I guess that doesn't matter much. What was the reason for moving it forward rather than just leaving it as per plan?

Steve Jones 208/12/2018 17:04:18
497 forum posts
369 photos

Moving forward allows more space for the fuel tank .. I use 4oz Slec which is ok but I would prefer a 6 oz for more flight time to be safe. The 52 is plenty of power but 5 mins on the 4 oz is short

Extending the nose is not an issue for flying and I just balanced the model at the original cog position

Steve

David P Williams08/12/2018 17:29:32
818 forum posts
282 photos

OK thanks. I have both 4 and 6oz available so I'll try to fit the 6 in.

Richard Franks26/12/2018 12:37:16
15 forum posts

just had to post the fact that had a maiden with my Panther Christmas eve. ONE WORD WOW. flew straight off no trim really great.

skinned the blades in lightweight glass cloth which only added about 45gm for the set of three but incredible strong.

Proved a point on landing in the only tree in our flying field (orientation issues) and only bent the prop adaptor otherwise minimal damage.

Starting to build another straight away. Hats off to Rich Harris.

Malcolm - coolwind.co.uk26/12/2018 13:50:02
177 forum posts
33 photos

Well Done Richard Franks!!

Its not orientation problems, its the trees they move every night !

Malcolm

Richard Franks20/02/2019 16:24:48
15 forum posts

Just had to post now getting good flights with Burky and Panther.Panther is far more stable than Burky..

Now realised the importance of head speed on take off and using rudder for the turns correcting the roll with opposite roll (Aileron).There seems far more more tendency to roll right. Left turns can almost be completed using aileron/elevator like fixed wing but must watch out for too much roll .Building the Panther now and intend to get two in the air at the same time (2 pilots) at our flying site.

Any advice on achieving a decent canopy with the pop bottle method as so far not much luck?

out aging this Friday

Regards

Steve Jones 220/02/2019 17:34:04
497 forum posts
369 photos

Key to the pop bottle and heat gun method is to get the bottle to shrink as little as possible. Select a bottle only just larger than plug or if bottle bigger fill Behring plug with scraps. If you ask bottle go shrink too much it won’t and will bubble and burn as you apply more heat to try and increase shrinking

good luck Steve

Richard Harris20/02/2019 20:55:41
2028 forum posts
1859 photos

Richard,

Steve is spot on, shrinking too much makes the plastic ripple then it crystallizes, less is better.

Good to hear you have them both flying well, funny thing is that BURKY started out of as a bit of an experiment in readiness for a scale subject using the rear of the fuselage as its primary vertical area, a great flier but better suited to calmer weather with those slab sides. Where as the Panther is a different beast as it will fly in almost any conditions. The rudder and roll combination that you are starting to get the hang of is excellent, you will be surprised at just how much it will improve your fixed wing flying. I cant believe I flew for years happy using roll to turn and rudder to do the odd stall turn, knife edge or spin, a powerful control in the right circumstances.

I look forward to hearing how you get on with 2 Panthers in the air at once, thanks for the nice feedback.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 20/02/2019 20:56:29

David P Williams13/04/2019 14:45:57
818 forum posts
282 photos

I've almost finished building my Panther, just finishing the blades. The instructions from the mag say to drill the mounting holes ON the chordwise CofG line, whereas the instructions for the Atom I built a while back, and those for the Revolver in the latest mag, say to drill the holes 1mm behind the CofG line. Is this correct? Does it make much difference?

Thanks, David

Richard Franks13/04/2019 16:41:12
15 forum posts

Hi David

I am still fairly new wit AG models and flying but beginning to succeed with both aspects.I have built 5 AG~s but only one Panther.Most AG~S suggest cog line for blades slightly back from the balance line.My panther was 2mm back and flew on its maiden with no trim at all.I think there are 2 important issues(1) The models COG must be spot on.I used the COG shown on the plan using the fitting of brass collars on the mast then getting the balance spot on via a rod through .(ie I did not try the hang angle approach) NO ROTORS attached .If its electric make sure you fit the battery!

(2) when drilling the Rotor mounting holes make sure they are all in exactly the same position..I had my rotors stacked on top of each other ,clamped and then used a pillar drill with the correct size drill.

As a final note I am now skinning my rotor Blades with lightweight glass cloth/resin. It adds very little weight but the increased strength is incredible.(have landed in a tree with no damage to the rotors at all)

I will be interested to hear from others especially ~the master~ Mr Harris should he read this

Regards

Richard Franks

Richard Harris14/04/2019 20:56:14
2028 forum posts
1859 photos

Hi David,

The choice is yours, that said, if you drill the mounting hole on the CG make sure that the blades are fully covered first as they can become 'tail heavy' after covering. For this reason I now drill the mounting holes 1mm behind the CG as a get out of jail card.

Just like our fixed wings a tail heavy blade can become pitch sensitive, this can cause them to go out of track which, in turn causes vibration which isn't good through the head and controls.

Personally, I mark and drill each blade individually purely for the reason as I cant guarantee each will have a matching CG position (wood density variation and my building etc)

Hope this make sense?

Rich

David P Williams14/04/2019 22:10:47
818 forum posts
282 photos

Thanks Rich. The blades are covered already, and the chordwise CofGs are all very slightly different, so I will mark and drill them individually.

Thanks for your help,

Richard Franks15/04/2019 10:26:09
15 forum posts

This is very interesting so will be drilling my mounting holes individually in future .Are there likely to be any Autogyro fly in~s this year? I am based on the Kent coast.

One silly question about flying the Autogyro. I have found height and descent are dictated by power (throttle control).If, like a fixed wing plane, your applied ~down elevator~ to an Autogyro would it descend or just slow up the rotor speed or both?

Waiting for the wind to drop and getting itchy fingers.

Richard Franks

Big T15/04/2019 15:36:56
214 forum posts
202 photos
Posted by Richard Franks on 15/04/2019 10:26:09:

This is very interesting so will be drilling my mounting holes individually in future .Are there likely to be any Autogyro fly in~s this year? I am based on the Kent coast.

One silly question about flying the Autogyro. I have found height and descent are dictated by power (throttle control).If, like a fixed wing plane, your applied ~down elevator~ to an Autogyro would it descend or just slow up the rotor speed or both?

Waiting for the wind to drop and getting itchy fingers.

Hi Richard, yes there will be fly ins this year. First one is up in Peterborough around the 4th of May. Location and dates of others usually revolve around the UK meet at Winterton MFC.

This is not a silly question at all. "down elevator" or forward rotor tilt is a control we prefer not use on Delta heads when the model is in the air. We would use it to stop the rotors on the ground. The reason is that it can stop the blades spinning very quickly. With tractor models it will nearly always result in the nose tucking under and once the top of the blade hits the air flow there will be no lift. So in a way you are correct. There would be a sudden descent and the rotor would stop! What you can do for a rapid controlled descent is to pull pack on the rotor and increase the revs. This has the effect of slowing the model forward flight right down and increasing the head speed. Vertical descent is then controlled by the use of both controls.

John Burrill16/04/2019 01:02:18
2 forum posts

I built the Panther autogyro from plans in the special issue of the magazine published in late 2018. It was an enjoyable build, and I'm happy with the results. However, I have never even seen one fly except in videos, and my attempt at a maiden flight resulted in a quick left roll while on the take-off run. I went back and read the comments on page 5 in this thread, and have an idea now about how to do better. My question relates to c of G as indicated on the plans and "hang angle", and the relationship between them. My Panther hangs at about 15 degrees with the batteries (2 3S 1300mAh in parallel) installed and the blades removed. Suspending it from the C of G shown in the plan near the base of the mast, it hangs tail low. It takes about 5 ounces of weight in the battery compartment to bring it level. Do I need the weight, or should I go with the 15 degree hang angle? BTW I added a very slight right thrust with a washer under the motor mount. Motor is an Eflite Power 32. Any suggestions?

Richard Harris17/04/2019 09:41:14
2028 forum posts
1859 photos

John,

Welcome to the forum, I had an email only a few weeks ago regarding something similar with a second hand Panther a gent had bought. He couldn't get the hang angle yet the model balanced an the plan CG. I asked him to send me a photo and was soon obvious what was going on, the head was round the wrong way.

Now I'm not saying this is what has happened to yours but if the CG is correct then perhaps the centre line of the spindle is in the right place? Its so easy to get it off its correct centre, I have done this many many times. The important thing is the distance between the horizontal CG and the distance back to the rotor spindle centre. The before and after photos from the email are shown below.

Rich

received_391395921644578.jpeg

received_333266287295827.jpeg

Edited By Richard Harris on 17/04/2019 09:44:05

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us