Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Spitfire Mk IX

Spitfire Mk IX

BEB reviews the new ParkZone model - 8/11/11

Hugh Coleman05/07/2011 21:57:14
518 forum posts
11 photos

A bit exy in my opinion given that you need to spend another hundy on the E-flight retracts.

Looks not too bad for a foamy.

Hugh
David Ashby - Moderator06/07/2011 08:17:13
10830 forum posts
1620 photos
604 articles
James 40 will have one
Tony Read 206/07/2011 13:50:11
965 forum posts
3 photos
Well done PZ!

According to the guys at HH its fine to belly land if you don't want to fit the retracts. Scoops look a bit prone to damage though in my opinion.

Im glad they went for the larger size, rather than the P51/Wildcat size.
James4002/08/2011 12:52:32
885 forum posts
3 photos
Well it looks like parkzone have come up with another fantastic looking parkfly model in the shape of the Spitfire MkIX.
From what I've read on other forums, this one flys even better than the P-47D and that is a lovely flying model so this one should be fantastic.

Looks to have some nice scale detail, just a shame they still have the aligator skin, most other foamies have moved on from that but from 4 paces away I guess you wont see it.

Anyone tempted by this one? I would but I'm about to have a clearence sale of all my hardly flown aircraft before I make the move to Dubai. I'm only keeping one or two aircraft to take with me.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 05/11/2011 19:39:43

Trex700e03/08/2011 09:23:18
102 forum posts
18 photos
I for one am excited about the new parkzone spit. It is very scale for an RTF sort of plane and is the only prebuilt spitfire i would ever own. I cannot wait to see one, however it has been shifted down my list of "models I must have" in favour of some 3D capable aircraft.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 05/11/2011 19:40:10

NigelH27/09/2011 21:08:32
891 forum posts
1 photos
I would have thought that we'd have seen some more comments about this one by now. Hasn't anyone bought one ?

James4027/09/2011 21:11:37
885 forum posts
3 photos
Haha, not yet David, I'm still down sizing ready for my move abroad!

Give me a week in Dubai though, that should be enough to find a model shop and order one
leccyflyer27/09/2011 21:24:03
1210 forum posts
297 photos
Posted by NigelH on 27/09/2011 21:08:32:
I would have thought that we'd have seen some more comments about this one by now. Hasn't anyone bought one ?

Yep, got one the day they came out, in the hope of flying her at the club's fun day last weekend. Unfortunately the pre-bent struts for the retracts were nowhere to be found. Then in trying to rebend the stock fixed gear, the horrible brittle "trombone wire" snapped.

Now this week, having got the struts yesterday I've been too busy to even fit them and get a maiden flight in.

Nice looking model though
NigelH27/09/2011 21:36:46
891 forum posts
1 photos
Yes it is.

Did you choose the E-Flite retracts or some 'generic' ones ?

leccyflyer27/09/2011 21:54:21
1210 forum posts
297 photos
I already had the e-Flite 10-15 sized retracts for another project, so will use those. I do have a couple of the budget sets, but the model deserves the real thing.
Tony Read 228/09/2011 12:53:29
965 forum posts
3 photos
I got my struts through last week but have not had a chance to fit them yet. reading RCG there may be an issue with the legs being asymmetric. Will have to see.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator28/09/2011 20:43:46
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
I've got one - but still waiting for the struts so haven't flown it yet

C'mon PZ, what use is a legless Spitfire to me?

BEB
Andrew Ray01/10/2011 07:44:25
666 forum posts
19 photos
I've been trying to get back into flying for a while, I still build, read and buy but just don't seem to have the motivation to fly......until now.....
I bought a new Stryker from the Nats......not been able to fly it much but it stays in the car just in case......so what's this got to do with the Spitfire? HA,ha, so impressed was I with this BNF foam concept that I have just ordered the MkIX BNF for only a few quid more that Tamiya's 1/32 MkIX plastic kit (??? work that one out???).
My reasons for buying this Spit are that I had a couple of 3s lipos of the correct size, bought ages ago for an o/d that has flown on nicads but never used, I have a new lipo from the Stryker so for the moment I have a "standard" battery size that will actually now fit 4 models. Where I can fly is not suitable for retracts, the model is a car friendly size so will stay in there with the Stryker and still leave room for the dog....... And lastly there are some cracking deals around......oh yes, I just love the Spitfire.
Being a "traditional" modeller, yes I've built from plans and really enjoy the construction process, foam, other than in wings, has never had a serious attraction until now.
Hopefully my Spitfire will be waiting for me when I return from work on Tuesday night and fly it on Wednesday.
Andrew
David Ashby - Moderator01/10/2011 16:53:38
10830 forum posts
1620 photos
604 articles
Let us know what you think Andrew - review

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 01/10/2011 16:53:55

Allan Bowker04/10/2011 13:03:23
1625 forum posts
227 photos
"Going for a look" in the LMS is dangerous, especially when you didn't go to buy anything. Somehow I managed to end up with the new Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX and a set of e-Flite retracts for £150 (well it was an offer I couldn't refuse).

Straight out of the box the build quality and finish is amazing for a foam based model. Very light but also very sturdy. Some of the internal frame can be seen when removing the top battery hatch although most of it is out of sight and surrounded by foam.
She has an E-Flite Power 15 up front and an E-Flite 30A ESC inside the hatch, so should perform well considering she is only 4" wider in wingspan than Parkzone's last brushed and geared Spitfire offering.

The retracts went in easy, but many won't realise that the 'pre-bent retract struts' are not included in the box (fixed ones are) and are a $4/£3 optional extra to order separately. Reading the manual carefully points out that you need part no: PKZ5717 that also include some plastic covers with the struts, these make things nice and flush underneath to finish off her lines.

She hasn't been powered up yet, should be done sometime this week (can't wait!), together with the radio being set-up.

So far the paint has proved quite hard wearing and should hold up against the inevitable hangar rash. Nice that Parkzone have included a pilot in the office, all I need now is a Lancaster to fly beside.

I did consider buying the much larger (1.4m) FMS Spitfire, however quality over quantity won over in the end, coupled with the fact I don't have any suitable Li-Po's for the FMS (4000mah 4S) and plenty for the Parkzone (2200mah 3S).

Edited By Allan Bowker on 04/10/2011 13:22:28

leccyflyer04/10/2011 13:27:50
1210 forum posts
297 photos
Maidened the Spitfire at the weekend and it's a nice model - very easy to fly, every inch a Spitfire in the air and very flattering on landing. The first Spitfire I've seen that stays upright on landing Wish I could say the same for taxiing, where I found a strong tendency to nose over, even with full up elevator held in. I've put that down to not enough downforce without enough airflow over the tail. It was only an issue when taxiing on grass - the take off roll was fine and very scale.

The retracts are great, but a caveat with those pre-bent struts. Mine were asymmetrical. One side was fine, the other side fouled the wheel on the gear door, as the axle was not bent at the correct angle. I'm not the only one to have encountered this problem. I left the U/C doors and the cannons off for the maiden fiight.

All in all though a really nice, scale-like performance from the Spitfire in the stock set-up - nowhere near as nippy as the Ripmax, Balsacraft or Cambrian Spitfires, but after all, she's a parkflyer.

Can't say that she's a light model though - compared to the Parkzone Mk IIB Spitfire the MkIX is pretty heavy - only to be expected given the much more robust thick EPO foam construction, larger battery, larger motor and retracts. Some folks have added flaps, but, for me, she's heavy enough already, and her behaviour on landing is quite superb without any need for flaps,
NigelH04/10/2011 14:46:43
891 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Allan Bowker on 04/10/2011 13:03:23:
"Going for a look" in the LMS is dangerous, especially when you didn't go to buy anything. Somehow I managed to end up with the new Parkzone Spitfire Mk IX and a set of e-Flite retracts for £150 (well it was an offer I couldn't refuse).
Edited By Allan Bowker on 04/10/2011 13:22:28

You got a really good deal there Allan. I'd almost bet money that you'd not get it anywhere else for less.

LMS ? Are you lucky enough to be near one of the market leaders or do you have a deserving smaller store nearby ? Which one is it ?

leccyflyer04/10/2011 16:07:26
1210 forum posts
297 photos
Mine was £102.99 for the PnP kit. I already had the e-Flite retracts, which were £49.99. The (badly) pre-bent struts were £2.99 for the pair.
Allan Bowker04/10/2011 18:45:47
1625 forum posts
227 photos
My local model shop is Penn Models (Kingswinford, Dudley, West Midlands) Nigel, only 10 minutes away for me.

They don't do online but they are worth a visit if you are not too far away. A nicely stocked shop!
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator05/11/2011 19:07:20
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
I recently purchased the new Parzone Mk IX Spitfire and a set of E-Flite retracts (birthday present!). I just thought I'd share a few thoughts on it.

First, the "build" - well more of an assembly than a build . Extremely straight forward. Excellent instructions - not that you'd need them really if you had any knowledge at all of RC aircraft!. Everything was present, everything was finished to a high standard an everything went together exactly as planned. Entire build time - approximately 1 hour - including setting up the TX!

Maidened her today - delayed from last week which was just too windy. There was a marked reluctance to taxi - it just kept nosing over, despite application of full up-elevator. I tried various tactics to induce taxying. First I tried "sneaking up on it" - ie slowing opening the throttle - no good. Then I tried "surprising it" - ie banging the throttle open to see if a bit of sudden forward urge and a nice big draught over the elevator would help - no good. In the end I resorted to a hand launch. A bit dissapointing this as the grass was not long and the strip was fairly smooth - although the "going was very heavy" as the horsey chaps would say. Maybe when the ground dries out a bit it will be better.

Climb out from the hand launch was very brisk and at full throttle she certainly rattles along at a fair old pace. Normal cruise seemed to be about 1/2 throttle. I did need a couple of clicks of right aileron - but it was quite breezy and I was flying cross-wind so that might not be a permanent feature. While there is plenty of power for warbird-like flying its not like the PZ Extra, in that verticals, whilst having enough energy, are not unlimited.

General flying characteristics were extremely pleasant - with no hint at all of the usual Spitfire vices. Turns were clean - a very little adverse yaw was noticeable and it might benefit from just a hint of aileron differential - but its not an issue by any means. Controls were responsive - as you'd expect on a warbird - but not at all twitchy. The throws where as specified by Parkzone as "high rates" with 30% expo on elevator and ailerons. Personally I think the low-rate settings would be a bit "sluggish" for most fliers, but its early days to be sure. All in all very smooth and quite straight forward to fly. Rolls are more axial than is the case with many warbirds, but a good poke of "down" when inverted is needed to keep them so. I haven't tried actual inverted flight yet.

Slow speed handling is good by the standards of any model - by the standards of a warbird its excellent! Landing the model is very straight forward as long as you keep the nose down and a bit of power on. She comes in quite fast - even into a stiff-ish breeze, but slows well at the flair with no hint of a wing drop - though she did immediately nose over - but again that could be the sodden state of the ground.

All in all another Parkzone sucess story I think, and one I could recommend. If you fancy a Spit, but are a bit wary of their reputation for being "evil fliers" then this might be the one for you. It has a good appearance - very good scale outline for an ARTF - and a high standard of finish. And best of all she looks absolutely "the thing" in the air - I found myself doing one fast low pass after another with a big grin on my face. Considering the price includes absolutely everything you need except a rx - I even feel its quite good value for money. I think I'm going to become very fond of this one!

Anyone else tried one?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/11/2011 19:11:42

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 05/11/2011 20:48:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Revoc
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us