Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Spitfire Mk IX

Spitfire Mk IX

BEB reviews the new ParkZone model - 8/11/11

Danny Fenton28/02/2012 08:56:03
9451 forum posts
4261 photos

Thanks guys, a Spit plus retracts has been ordered and should be winging its way to me. I found that most places stated in the blurb that the bent wire legs were also required but then they didn't stock them! That seems a bit silly to me.

I couldn't get everything from one place because nobody I could find, had all the bits.

Cheers

Danny

leccyflyer28/02/2012 10:11:43
1408 forum posts
315 photos

Danny

Did you manage to get the pre-bent legs? Be aware that they are not particularly well done - mine were different on each side - and so demand a bit of tweaking. That can be awkward as the wire is rather brittle.

If you're stuck, let me know, I have a spare set on the shelf.

When the pre-bents were not available I tried to make the described mod on the legs supplied with the model. Managed to rebend the first one, but the second one snapped, even though I was being very, very gentle with it.

You'll enjoy the model I'm sure, like I said, the landings are immense cool - pity about the taxiing though.

Edited By leccyflyer on 28/02/2012 10:12:50

Danny Fenton28/02/2012 10:51:15
9451 forum posts
4261 photos

Hi Leccy, I ordered the Spit and retracts from Kings Lynn models, great price, and the bent wires from SMC. I would have preffered to get it all from one place but nobody had it all so hence two sources.

I am dreading the box arriving, as i know my previous response to foam. I have bought them before and couldn't even bring myself to fit a couple of servos and a rx. I guess I am "foamist", and need therapy crying 2 They say recognizing you have a problem is the first step to recovery wink

Cheers

Danny

leccyflyer28/02/2012 11:04:04
1408 forum posts
315 photos

The model looks good from a few feet away, but when all is said and done, she's a foamie through and through. It's the flying characteristics, and especially those landings, that shine through though. An excellent model to chuck in the car for a quick fix.

No servos to fix, if you haven't gone for the bare airframe kit. It's a Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig box for such a small aeroplane too.

Olly P28/02/2012 11:07:18
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Danny, if you decide you don't like it and want to give it away to a happy home then I'm sure I can help out

Danny Fenton28/02/2012 11:21:44
9451 forum posts
4261 photos

Ever the Samaritan Olly wink and so kind of you to step up to the plate LOL If I really cannot stand it then i will coerce Mr Bott into making it fit to fly in return for beer, I think I will enjoy it as long as i keep it at arms length cheeky It is what it is....

In a way it has saved me money because I have been staring at the new 1.7mtr CML foamy Mustang since it's launch, and this is much cheaper.

Cheers

Danny

Former Member28/02/2012 21:29:07

[This posting has been removed]

Daithi O Buitigh29/02/2012 00:29:23
1369 forum posts
54 photos

Apparently the red maple leaf didn't come into being until after 1945. I found this on the website for the Canadian Naval Memorial

"Later in the Second World War someone painted a green maple leaf on a funnel to signify that his ship belonged to Canada. The practice spread and was at last authorized by Naval Headquarters and adopted by the whole fleet. Naval Headquarters files only disclose the date on which the maple leaf symbol as formally introduced into the Royal Canadian Navy. This was in a Naval order in September 1944, which followed a recommendation dated June 15, 1944, by the Canadian Naval Mission Overseas.

The practice of painting a maple leaf on the funnel had, however, already been put into practice unofficially by Canadian warships. After the war, for the sake of contrast, the colour of the maple leaf was changed from green to red and this it remains to this day. The maple leaf remains in a secure and lasting position as a symbol for all to see that the ship that wears it is Canadian.

It was actually in 1957 that the colour of the maple leaves on the arms of Canada was changed from green to red, one of Canada’s official colours. On February 15, 1965, the red maple leaf flag was inaugurated as the National Flag of Canada."

It would seem from that that (pre-1945) it actually was green

Rusty C29/02/2012 22:14:52
452 forum posts
29 photos

Hey chaps, Quick question for you's....... Will the spitty handle a 4s 2200 lipo, or will it fry the esc. I am not even sure if it will balance on it yet but might try tomorrow.

Thanks

Rusty

Danny Fenton01/03/2012 00:02:18
9451 forum posts
4261 photos
Posted by leccyflyer on 28/02/2012 11:04:04:

The model looks good from a few feet away, but when all is said and done, she's a foamie through and through. It's the flying characteristics, and especially those landings, that shine through though. An excellent model to chuck in the car for a quick fix.

No servos to fix, if you haven't gone for the bare airframe kit. It's a Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig box for such a small aeroplane too.

You weren't joking the box was enormous for such a small model. When I opened the box it was full of beautifully shaped foam parts. All seperated with tape and some tatty old grey and green bits of foam wink 2

Cheers

Danny

David Ashby - Moderator01/03/2012 07:52:43
10987 forum posts
1706 photos
614 articles

I can't believe you've got a foamy warbird Danny, whatever next! wink 2teeth 2

Danny Fenton01/03/2012 08:11:50
9451 forum posts
4261 photos

I think I am going to have to go and lie down...it is all getting a bit much for me to cope with. Not only have I got a foamie warbird, but on the same day the PZ Spit arrived a second hand Foamie Hurri came up for grabs..... so two foamies landed in the hangar in one day smile o

David can we re-vote on how many of our fleet are foam?

David Ashby - Moderator01/03/2012 08:51:25
10987 forum posts
1706 photos
614 articles
Posted by Rusty C on 29/02/2012 22:14:52:

Hey chaps, Quick question for you's....... Will the spitty handle a 4s 2200 lipo, or will it fry the esc. I am not even sure if it will balance on it yet but might try tomorrow.

Thanks

Rusty

The model flies so well Rusty, does it really need an extra cell?

Towlie01/03/2012 15:51:55
151 forum posts
54 photos

You'll love the PZ Spitty it flies so well, everyone still comments about how nice it looks in the air even several months after buying.

Be warned though it does attract hanger rash and I cant find matching paint so if someone knows the correct revel or tamiya colours let me know please !

Rusty C01/03/2012 17:10:52
452 forum posts
29 photos

David

I half expected that kind of response laugh Its just as I have way more 4s than 3s and would be good for quick turn arounds at the field. However its possible its a silly idea

Rusty

Rusty C01/03/2012 17:22:02
452 forum posts
29 photos

Towlie

I fully agree the model looks superb in the air! The matt paint looks great but maybe a bit of weathering would like sweet, maybe a bit over hanger rash wouldnt be bad if not pure white that is.

Will be flying with retracts this weekend looking forward to that!!

Rusty

Towlie01/03/2012 17:33:54
151 forum posts
54 photos

Yeah Rusty it would be ok if the foam underneath wasnt white disgust Still you cant notice it in the air and there is nothing better than a victory roll down the patch with a spit in the sunshine !

Rusty C01/03/2012 18:46:11
452 forum posts
29 photos

yeah I can hear patriots from here laugh

I am currently trying to balance mine on a 4s but not sure its goin to happen, I have alot of high energy 4s 2200 bit on the heavy side me thinks.

Rusty

Danny Fenton02/03/2012 16:03:12
9451 forum posts
4261 photos

Well it arrived and its all ready for the maiden hopefully this weekend. Hope it lives up to all the hype wink 2

You were right about the flaming additional wire for the retracts,although they were handed the starboard leg was raked too far forward, the wheel caught, easily sorted as was the fact that the leg was twisted by about 10 degrees, again fairly easy to sort out.

The C of G is spot on the recomended 65mm with one of HC finest 2200 LiPo's, but I think that will change when the wheels go up as they sweep back slightly. It doesn't say wheels up or down as far as I could see?

The rates and throws are as per the destructions. I will say the ESC seems a little more precise than the ones I am used to. Maybe I should invest in a good Castle Creations or Jeti Spin one day and see how they stack up. Never seen a review of ESC's in any mags might be a good idea David/Graham?

Cheers

Danny

Daithi O Buitigh02/03/2012 18:41:30
1369 forum posts
54 photos

balance with wheels up (after all that's how it's going to be flying really). You can alwayswork the stick a bit for the take-off and landing but most of the time the gear wil be tucked up and away

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!