Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Spitfire Mk IX

Spitfire Mk IX

BEB reviews the new ParkZone model - 8/11/11

Danny Fenton02/03/2012 18:51:51
9451 forum posts
4261 photos

it is an often debated subject. I tend to go with wheels down as that is the critical points of the flight. the E flite Hurricane manual states with wheels down.

Cheers

Danny

IanR02/03/2012 20:53:37
780 forum posts
4 photos

Rusty

Have a look at this Z8RC bloke's blog here. He's what you might call "not into" Horizon Hobby, including Parkzone, by and large, but he's given the Parkzone Spitfire a general thumbs up and says that his goes like the clappers on 4S.

Ian

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator02/03/2012 21:03:02
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

I balance with the wheels down for the same reason - if there is a point when I want to be sure the CoG is going to let me flair etc and I don't want a twitchy elevator, its landing - and at that point the wheels will be down - I hope wink 2

It is of course a purely personal thing!

BEB

Danny Fenton03/03/2012 17:56:24
9451 forum posts
4261 photos

Well the weather was not perfect, blowing a little and raining, but undeterred I got a moderator (thx Chris smile ) to shove the little thing whilst holding full up and two thirds throttle, And away it went. It just nosed over on our rubbish strip without the shove. A few clicks of down had it flying fairly straight. The air was too lumpy to really enjoy, but it does look nice doing sweeping passes smile p

The landing was not a bad one but the wheels/cannon caught, snapping the starboard cannon clean off, and leaving it impaled in the runway sad But the model was otherwise intact.

I look forward to trying it in better conditions. Perhaps without the cannons wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 03/03/2012 17:58:34

Rusty C22/05/2012 21:30:55
452 forum posts
29 photos

Well today was the day that it happen my first crash well it wasnt much of a crash really, it goes as follows

I arrived at the field with my wotty and the spit the sun was out lovely day, However my stumbling block was the wind I couldnt get a handle on it. The problem wasn't speed but direction there was hardly any wind then all of a sudden it was rise up but its direction was so erratic, no joke when I say it was going round the compass.

So I decided to fly the wotty first as I have a good handle on it. Made 4 good flights although the air was a bit bumpy made great landings so well chuffed. The real issue starts now, I had been building up the courage to take up the spitty on my own all day and was determined then the wind die sweet right?

Yes and no, Took off no probs for about 2 mins getting some nice scale flying vic rolls the works smile then that weird wind came back no it was getting real bumpy for the little foamie and need to get her back down. So start a long low approach to get a feel for the conditions, Direction felt good so I committed to the touch.

She was coming in real nice on 1/4 so at around 10ft I was gradually easing back then all of a sudden the direction changed, she started to drop like a stone but it was to late for power so stuck with it and just added full ele at touch, The touch was not the worst but unfortunately she was to long and fast on roll and hit a row of baby trees.

I only damaged the L/E on both wings no fuse damage, So I am now removing all the gear from the wings and about to look for a new wing.

Not to disappointed as it could have been much worse, I also learned that I am not quite ready for the warbirds yet regardless what they are made from. I just didnt really expect how much faster the approach speed is, Anyway She will be in the air again soon thumbs up

Rusty

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator22/05/2012 21:43:27
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Sorry about your mishap Rusty. Yes although the PZ Spit is very friendly as far as warbirds are concerned it can still bite!

Foam models are great fun, but they are very prone to variable winds. If you have it all set up, late finals, and the wind you are heading into goes away - effectively robbing you of airspeed, and hence lift, at a critcial moment and removing your "braking effect" in the flair - there really isn't an awful lot you can do. You have all the forces on the model very delicately balanced at that point - then one of those forces suddenly changes! You were right not to open up and try to overshoot - the Spit doesn't like trying to fly slow, you'd just be asking for it to stall on you and pancake in.

Still as you say, it could have been much worse. Hope you get it back in the air soon.thumbs up

BEB

Rusty C22/05/2012 22:01:21
452 forum posts
29 photos

Thanks Beb

Yeah I have much to learn when it comes to the more tricky birds, All is fine and well until things get changeable so maybe need to leave this one in the car until there is a good steady breeze for the landing.

As for the repair Are the servos silicone'd in? it looks it to me or is it a glue?

Rusty

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator22/05/2012 22:59:41
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Oh, dunno mate I haven't looked - and between us I don't hope to have to soon!

Seriously I'll take a look next time I'm in the workshop.

BEB

Allan Bowker22/05/2012 23:22:21
1633 forum posts
227 photos

When the wind is changeable I try to keep a bit of power on and drive her in.

I find it better to come in a bit hot than too close to stall, I learned this best from flying my large Funtana.

The WOT is stuck together with standard silicone sealant

BIG thread here

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator23/05/2012 00:54:00
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Alan, I think Rusty is asking about the servos in the Spit?

BEB

Martin Harris23/05/2012 01:02:10
9262 forum posts
245 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/03/2012 21:03:02:

I balance with the wheels down for the same reason - if there is a point when I want to be sure the CoG is going to let me flair etc and I don't want a twitchy elevator, its landing - and at that point the wheels will be down - I hope wink 2

It is of course a purely personal thing!

BEB

Shouldn't the battery be empty as well? wink 2

Allan Bowker23/05/2012 11:43:49
1633 forum posts
227 photos

BEB - oops embarrassed

This is what happens when reading the forum tired. I thought Rusty was asking about servo's for the crashed WOT-4 (it was the Spitfire that crashed, right?). Feel free to edit/delete my misguided posts, it's off topic I guess.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 23/05/2012 11:45:53

Derek Bradford03/06/2012 22:53:25
42 forum posts
101 photos

I have been having take off problems, at our patch also. The first attempt some weeks ago resulted in one of the cannon breaking off (nosing over) before I even got it airborne. After fixing and touching up the paint (tamiya neutral grey and deep green - the grey is an ok match but another shade of green would be better) the spit was ready to go.

Taking off on grass - I am setting the throttle to about 60 - 70% and full up elev before letting it go, and it does ok. A fun model that looks great in the air.

example heresmiley:

**LINK**

avtur30/08/2012 14:29:42
883 forum posts
20 photos

Stopped off at Steve Webb on the way to Caernarfon for a two week holiday and picked one of these up

It's been sitting in the caravan awning for a week now but every day have been bombarded by 30-35knt winds, this is very frustrating ...

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator30/08/2012 15:40:39
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Arrrgggghhh - annoying! angry

You'll enjoy it once the gale abates a little!

BEB

Rusty C30/08/2012 21:36:12
452 forum posts
29 photos

There are great little things these, and they are better in the wind than you think, But not 35knts.

Look great in the air, people at the club cant believe its a foam when the see it on the ground

Rusty

avtur30/08/2012 22:31:12
883 forum posts
20 photos

35knt winds is a problem ... there is an airfield less than two miles way and I have a feed from their weather webcam ... so I know this really is the windspeed ...

Concorde Speedbird31/08/2012 09:32:29
2732 forum posts
650 photos

I was considering getting one of these (shock horror-electric and ARTF!) so I could nip down for some quick flights. This plane looks fantastic, a lovely looking aeroplane, but it confuses me.indecision

As a builder, from the outside I am not so keen, but BEB is a builder, and he loves his.

From the reviews (and your excellent and concise review BEB), this plane sounds more like a sport hack than a Spit, but if I wanted a pretty small, electric, foam, strong but brilliant flight performance, I'd get the Foam-e Wot 4 (or the acro Wot) because or Wotty is strong (near vertical dive into the ground = creased sticker), flies superbly in every sense and is very good in strong winds, and I'm sure the Acro Wot is the same.

But if I wanted something scale, still small to be pratical, a Spitfire, I would not get this, I'd get a Funfighter! Not too complicated or tricky build, that you would learn a lot from, can be electric or IC (I'm determined to put a 30 four stroke on one at some point!), retracts if you wish, and you can build it to what scale degree that you want (and any colour scheme) and in the air, they fly well and they are superb fun! And being wood, it will most likely be quite a bit more durable.

So where does this PZ Spit fit in? Am I biting the wrong end of the stick?

CS

PS Oh and 800 posts!

Best of British!

Edited By ConcordeSpeedbird on 31/08/2012 09:33:10

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator31/08/2012 14:57:18
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

My view CSB is that you should have a bit of everything in your hangar - that way you maximise your flying time!

yes, I like to build. But if I only flew models I had built then I'd probably quarter my actual airtime! So I have a couple of ARTF's - they go together quick and the look good. Very convienient.

I also have a couple of foamies - the Spit and a PZ Extra. Now the great thing about these is they fit in the car boot with the parcel self in place - out of sight. So I can throw one in the car, a couple of batteries and a Tx and then if I get a chance I can get in a couple of flights on my way home from work!

So you see having a mix is very helpful.

The PZ Spit appeals to a different element in me than a straight sports hack. For me the Extra is a sports hack - flies very precisely, very aerobatic, you can chuck it around and it has lots of power. The Spit is about scale flying. It maybe a foamie but I feel to get the best out of it you need to fly it like a Spitfire - big turns, fast low passes, slow rolls etc. It looks good in the air, and has a lot of presence for a small foam aeroplane.

So, if I fancy a thrash around after work and some sports aeros I pack the PZ Extra into the car boot, but if the particular itch I need to stratch that day is scale, I take the Spitfire. And on longer summer's evenings and weekends I fly the bigger models.

Horses for courses!

BEB

Concorde Speedbird31/08/2012 18:39:35
2732 forum posts
650 photos

Yeah, I get what you mean by having a chuck in the car plane. I have the Foam-E Wot 4 for chucking in the boot and off I go, serves that purpose very well, and flies brilliantly, and it is more forgiving and aerobatic than the Spit (you cannot stall the Wot- cannot!)

But for scale flying, for me a wooden warbird still flies a lot more scale than a Foamie (that foam B17 recently reviewed could PROP HANG!surprise That's just wrong!) as they track nicer, and cope better with turbulence. And also, you could electrify a Funfighter and have all the convenience of the PZ one, and more with it's better durability.

So I still don't see the space for it in my hangar. Then again, my chuck in the boot car will be the Domino, and that is a kit, IC and wood, I'm a confusing person!crook

CS

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!