So confusing....

Laptop having a brain fart.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Wiltshire Flyer08/08/2011 00:06:18
1565 forum posts
477 photos
Hello chaps,

Over the years i have helped many family members with computer issues and never let one problem get the better of me.......until.................

I have a Toshiba Satellite Duel Core Intel proc laptop with Vista (i know..) and 4GB Ram.

I bought it second hand a couple of months ago, it has been working fine untill 2 days ago, kinda hard to explain properly but i'll try.

First noticed it was getting a bit slow in general, so cleared cookies, cache, defrag etc..... no better.

Then when online every now and then when entering a web site a download box appears saying you have chosen to open file ("cookie.modelflying.co.uk.php" for instance) it hangs alot..... and pictures and logos are often appearing to be cut in half and overlapped??? i supected a virus so as i have all my data backed up on to an external drive i chose simply to reset to factory settings i have done this twice and i still have the same problems....

I have to admit that i have never taken a comp back to factory settings and it not worked?????

I am stumped on this one lads....... any ideas greatfully received.

Oh i have tried using Microsoft internet explorer as i thought it could be a Firefox issue but the same happens.

Do you think that the hardware is failing in some way? only thing i can think of.
ken anderson.08/08/2011 08:07:24
8681 forum posts
807 photos
DF-is it happening straight away-or only after the PC gets warm?.......is everything secure..memory/graphic cards in their slots ok?.......what about a restore point...take it back to before the prob started.....tha'll prove if it is a software issue or not..

ken anderson ne...1 ... IT dept.
Wiltshire Flyer09/08/2011 00:02:29
1565 forum posts
477 photos
Hi Ken, i have taken it back to factory conditions twice and still the same issue, it happens as soon as you start it up, and it's a laptop i have not checked the memory sockets yet but i really don't think it could be that... any more thoughts please?

I tried to reply to this thread earlier but no matter how much i reloaded the page the reply area was blank..... videos rarely work.....etc.. i have installed flash player etc and still problems......
Wingman09/08/2011 00:17:24
1147 forum posts
405 photos
There's so little you can do with laptops to fault find on them. Is the underside getting hot in any particular area? - a pointer to whatever is behind that area going wrong. The easiest thing to try would be to try each SODIMM RAM module (assuming more than one) on it's own in the hope that one of them is duff which is then an easy fix.
Spice Cat09/08/2011 08:53:30
1304 forum posts
129 photos
Sometimes MS updates can ruin your day. Try removing them one at a time and see if this makes any difference. From what you say, I suspect a software clash. With 4gb of RAM, it should run like grease lightning.
Good luck.
Computers; you either love 'em or smash 'em to bits with a sledge hammer.
Ian Jones09/08/2011 11:27:29
3220 forum posts
1397 photos
What about new add-ons, plugins, search bars etc - hate 'em. They take up space and slow your browsers down especially if as Spic Cat suggests they clash.

Would have expected the factory settings to fix all that - unless of course you ended up with the browsers back where they were before the reset.

Eric Bray09/08/2011 13:53:19
6600 forum posts
2 photos
Check the RAM back-up battery! Could be on the way out.
martyn sharp09/08/2011 14:03:10
420 forum posts
10 photos

Lee this could be a virus i have seen the same thing with students laptops what AV are you using ? i will be home at about 5.15 give me a call if you want
Martyn
Wiltshire Flyer09/08/2011 18:06:33
1565 forum posts
477 photos
Thanks for all the advice chaps, i took out the RAM last night and tried them one at a time, the original 2GB stick worked but still had the problems, the second one gave me no screen????? put back in both together and worked fine but still same ol problems??....i don't know......i am considering totally wiping the HD and installing a copy of XP i have had for years.... Thanks for the offer to call you Martyn but i have no credit at the moment mate have to get some.... technology hey!

Oh spice cat, after taking it back to factory settings i had the same issues right away, that was before any updates installed, but thanks for the idea.

Ian, factory settings removed all previous traces of browser settings etc... good thought though.

And Eric good idea but i think i may just install XP as a secondary operating system and see what happens.

many ,many thanks for the responses chaps!
Wingman09/08/2011 19:15:41
1147 forum posts
405 photos
Hmm - looks like one of your sodimms is duff and the video adapter is probably sharing the RAM and there's not enough available. Try using only the sodimm that works (albeit with problems) and adjust the video resolution to the lowest possible (800x600?) and see what happens. Alternatively boot up in safe mode with the one sodimm. If that sorts the display problems then replacement RAM is required (currently about 30 quid for 4GB). (all painless stuff to try so worth a whirl)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!