Forum sponsored by CML

How come no conflict?

What else uses 2.4GHZ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Wiltshire Flyer11/08/2011 00:43:07
1565 forum posts
477 photos
I was reconnecting to my network earlier using the Vista radar and noticed that the frequency the wireless networks use is 2.4GHZ??

I know very very little about 2.4GHZ and it's uses, so i assumed that with it being touted as interference free (virtually) i was very surprised to learn that it was not exclusively reserved for model use?

Is there anything else that uses this frequency? and why do they not interfere with one another? is because as the transmission is GHZ as opposed to MHZ? you know its so much wider as a band that it has many many micro bands for use within it? (not tech terms i know but only way i can try to get out what i mean).

Anyway, thought i would stick it out there
Shaun K11/08/2011 04:42:17
192 forum posts
38 photos
Hi Dorset Flyer,

Yes, the 2.4GHz frequency on your home network is the same as the 2.4Ghz used by the new transmitters. What's important to understand is that it's not a single frequency, it's a range of frequencies.

With the old 35/36Mhz transmitter and receiver equipment you used matched crystal pairs to pick an exact point in the frequency range and likewise, the new transmitters do much the same thing, but with 2.4GHz equipment it's done electronically.

The 2.4GHz range is used by everything from computers to cordless phones, industrial telemetry systems and much more. The key is that it's a wide range of frequencies with enough room to share it around.

Hope this helps.
Shaun.
martyn sharp11/08/2011 05:47:25
420 forum posts
10 photos

2.4 Ghz is used all over the place i once fitted a wireless reversing camera to a motor home and when driving through towns i use to pickup CCtv it use to make us laugh

Martyn
Tim Mackey11/08/2011 08:23:50
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Globally Unigue Identifier
GUID should prevent one user interfering with another - this thread may help explain.
Wiltshire Flyer11/08/2011 23:38:18
1565 forum posts
477 photos
Thank you chaps a little clearer now
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator11/08/2011 23:57:55
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
The really key thing is that not only is there more room because of the much higher frequency giving a broader bandwidth, 2.4 applications are also supposed to be well behaved and "avoid" each other. So if a 'new boy' comes on the block he dynamically looks for space in the band not being used locally. Most 2.4 stuff has a very limited range so as long as there is spare space somewhere in the band in your locality the system will find it. The GUID, which Tim mentioned, along with lots of other noise rejection methods, then acts on top of that as a sort of "belt and braces" helping the system to reject any weak signals from more distant transmitters that might be operating in the same portion of the band.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/08/2011 23:59:13

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!