DX8 owners thread...

Share knowledge here.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Bott - Moderator01/09/2011 23:12:38
6668 forum posts
1382 photos
1 articles
No you're right we don't know that. I hadn't seen Andy say that. It sounds like an improvement on the dismissive replies some time ago to the same question.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.
NigelH01/09/2011 23:17:24
891 forum posts
1 photos
The other good thing he's created an 'Official AirWare' thread with a view to keeping out all that pain in the butt bickering between the stubborn 'PP' and some others. I unsubscribed from the DX8/DX10 thread a couple of days ago because I'm sick of all the useless noise.

NigelH01/09/2011 23:18:07
891 forum posts
1 photos
BTW, I think that Andy comment was in his new thread.

Chris Bott - Moderator02/09/2011 09:08:41
6668 forum posts
1382 photos
1 articles
Thanks Nigel. I hadn't found that new thread. I have now
Terry Walters04/09/2011 09:29:30
1831 forum posts
1068 photos
Ok - another question re DX8 and this time it concerns the internal charger. I have the 2000mAh 4.8v NiMH battery. Try as I might within the limits recommended for charging using the charger plug included on purchase I cannot get it to a point where the visual display indicates a full charge - i.e. the battery display shows all black. I get a reading of 5.4v immediately after charging which drops to 5.1v very quickly. The drop in voltage I guess is a result of the charging having just finished and a 'false' reading given at that moment.

So what should I expect the residual 'full' charge to be and am I getting it with my 5.1v and therefore the visual battery display is not important?

The Tx works fine and settles down to about 4.9v.

How long do you other DX8 forumites leave your Tx on charge to get a 'full' battery?

Terry
NigelH04/09/2011 09:42:39
891 forum posts
1 photos
I'd been wondering about that one Terry. My pack tops out at about 5.5 volts.

Spektrum Andy recently said on RCG -

'How far down are you running the pack before charging it? You are safe when the batteries say 4.4V.

The DX8 charges at 200mA into NiMH cells. A fully-discharged pack will take 10 hours to charge, and should operate at least that long of actual operating time.

NiMH discharges very quickly initially, then holds at a lower voltage for a long time. You should see them drop to about 5V quickly, then take "forever" to get down to 4.4V.

The alarm goes off at 4.3V'

Terry Walters04/09/2011 10:38:20
1831 forum posts
1068 photos
Hi Nigel - thanks for that - I don't usually get below 4.9v so safe there then!

Maybe I should discharge down to 4.3v and then give a full 10hour charge to see if that gets me back up to 'full' or should I just accept it as it is using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Terry
NigelH04/09/2011 10:40:42
891 forum posts
1 photos
The manual's your friend but I seem to remember that they say give it something like that first time round. Have a look in the manual to confirm. Be aware that I don't think that you're supposed to leave it charging overnight though.

Tim Mackey04/09/2011 12:00:08
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
NiMHs dont like being left on slow charge for overly long periods.
Charging for the full 10 hours is fine if the pack is almost empty, otherwise its best to time it more conservatively.
I normally wait 'til mines down to around 4.5, then put it on the charger for about 4 -6 hours and then check unplug, and check the display. If its 5 or more, then Im off flying
Ill probably get the LiPo pack soon, at least then you know when its full, and the LSD is much better too.
Terry Walters04/09/2011 13:06:32
1831 forum posts
1068 photos
Nigel/Tim - all makes sense - will let mine drop lower than currently (no pun intended! .

Thanks for all the advice - will consider liPo later on. Do you have to make any 'electronic' changes to do so?

Terry
Tim Mackey04/09/2011 13:28:36
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Nope...the DX8 is LiPo ready. Only thing you will need to do is to enter the menu, and change the battery type to LiPo, so the low voltage alarm is reconfigured for lipo, not NiMH
Terry Walters04/09/2011 14:22:23
1831 forum posts
1068 photos
Posted by Tim Mackey on 04/09/2011 13:28:36:
Nope...the DX8 is LiPo ready. Only thing you will need to do is to enter the menu, and change the battery type to LiPo, so the low voltage alarm is reconfigured for lipo, not NiMH

Brilliant Tim - thanks - looks like that might be sooner than later then!

Terry

Tim Mackey08/09/2011 22:37:51
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Another one

I keep getting told on "that other forum" that when you have an "odd" wing mix such as flapperon and V tail, the monitor screen states which channel is which, the channels get renamed, with their relevant Rx socket shown.
Well my monitor screen doesnt
All I see is THIS:

.....................................................................LIST

THR ------------------------V---------------------- -100%
RAL
REL
LEL
GER
LAL
AX2
AX3

Edited By Tim Mackey on 08/09/2011 22:38:36

Chris Bott - Moderator08/09/2011 22:54:21
6668 forum posts
1382 photos
1 articles
I think that just means the following Tim.

Throttle - Ch1
Right Aileron - Ch2
Right Elevator Ch3
Left Elevator Ch4
Gear Ch5
Left Aileron Ch6

Or is your experience proving otherwise?
Pete B - Moderator08/09/2011 23:01:53
7588 forum posts
732 photos
I might have misunderstood your point, Timbo, but mine is the same. When you fiddle with the sticks, everything seems to be moving on the monitor screen as it should, as far as I can see??

These are the monitor display on three types:

Basic Flaperon FLAP/VTAIL

1 THR THR THR
2 AIL RAL RAL
3 ELE ELE REL
4 RUD RUD LEL
5 GER GER GER
6 AX1 LAL LAL
7 AX2 AX2 AX2
8 AX3 AX3 AX3

I hope they come up as carefully typed and spaced by me...........

Pete

Grr - they don't Think of them as three distinct columns for basic, flaperon and flap/vtail...........

Edited By Pete B on 08/09/2011 23:03:40

Tim Mackey08/09/2011 23:35:31
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Yes, I understand now..... TBH the info I was given on the other site was misleading, but I think I get it now.
You just need to "follow" the order of sockets on the Rx and match them to the monitor list.
Pretty poor info display IMO, and yet more evidence that the manual is absolute pants.
My DX7 was so much easier to programme - but then I have had 5 years to get to know it
Tim Mackey09/09/2011 11:14:24
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Me again
Found what I think is another bug, and am awaiting response over on RCG.
Ill reproduce the post here......

TRAVEL ADJUST BUG
Let me try to explain again whats going on here.
It’s a pure glider (Microfloh )
Wing mix is flaperon, and V Tail, ( V Tail has rudder function too ).
AR6200 and satellite. No other mixes active. At this stage flap was inhibit.
(Not sure why it defaults to this when flaperons are set in wing mix?)
Anyway....All orientation is as viewed from behind.
I first had the tail servos plugged in “wrong”
EG:
RIGHT ELEVATOR = RUDDER
LEFT ELEVATOR = ELEVATOR as that’s how they were on my DX7.
I bound up, and checked things over.
All control surfaces were moving in the correct direction, but were off centre, and travel throw was uneven between the two elevator halves.
I went into servo sub trim and adjusted both; sub trims worked fine, albeit on the “wrong halves IYSWIM.
Then I went to travel adjust, and REL worked fine, but LEL did nothing, no movement of the servo at all as I adjusted for "Up" and "Down".

NEXT:
Following advice I swopped the servo plugs over
RIGHT ELEVATOR = ELEVATOR
LEFT ELEVATOR = RUDDER.

Sub trims now affect correct half - but travel adjust is still having zero effect on LEL.
BUT.......
Elevator direction is now incorrect, and using servo reverse on both servos corrects this, but now puts rudder in the wrong direction.
No servo reverse is available for rudder due I guess to it being effectively two elevators.
Tim Mackey09/09/2011 11:15:48
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
And to follow up...... a little later I posted this.
I think I have discovered the problem!
If I leave the stick alone whilst adjusting LEL travel, and only when finished dialling in the amount I require, I move the stick, it has adjusted.

It just wont do it whilst the stick is held in deflected mode! This only happens on LEL, as the REL travel can be seen working as you hold the stick up or down.

This is how it should be on all servos, as it’s the only easy way to visually see that both control surface halves are moving the exact same amount.

Due to physical differential errors via servo horn positioning, the amount of throw from each servo arm is slightly different in different directions, which is exactly why I need to be able to fine tune this in the Tx.

This is surely a bug ?
Is it Ver 2.03 related??

Maybe someone can try it on a set with earlier airware version ???

Tim Mackey10/09/2011 11:48:06
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
HELP! DX8 owner needed for valuable research.
Dunno whether its me or them ( its them ) but the yanks just cant seem to answer a simple question on what I consider another bug in the system. I could just point ya over the thread, but frankly, that may be considered cruel considering some of the stupid bickering and OT rubbish thats in it, so I'll try and summarize the issue here again.

What I need is someone with a DX8 to try a simple experiment for me.

Here's a summary of my posting.

I'll try and elicit a response again...sigh .

Despite what may happen on your Tx with the file I sent, it doesnt work on mine - do I have to video it ??

You said....

"
I played with sub trim and it moved REL when I adjusted with R Elevator selected, and LEL when I adjusted with L Elevator selected."

I dont have, and never have had an issue with sub trim on either elevator half.

You said...
"The REL travel is adjusted by pulling the elevator stick to select the high or low sides of travel, the the travel change shows up as a factor of the rudder travel. This is because RUDDER is normally the input for that servo."

Again, I don't have an issue with REL travel adjust - it works fine - both on the servo adjust monitor screen, and at the servo itself.

I GET NO MOVEMENT ON LEFT ELEVATOR TRAVEL ADJUST - THE SCREEN INDICATOR DOES NOT MOVE IF THE STICK IS NOT LEFT CENTERED.

You have made no reference ( unless I missed it ) to L EL travel adjust.

So fellow Brits...

I need you to set up a blank memory slot as a flaperon wing with V tail .

Then, see if when altering travel adjust in the servo set up screen you can get a response of the indicator movement - on both sides of centre, for both right elevator, and left elevator. As you probably know, its necessary to slightly move the control stick in the direction of travel that you wish to alter - in this case, its UP or DOWN.
On my set, ( 2.03 firmware ) it all works fine for the RIGHT Elevator, but I get NOTHING on the LEFT Elevator. The only way I can get a response is to leave the stick untouched, and then adjust both directions simultaneously, however its then impossible to see by how much until you finish adjusting, and then move the stick.

Edited By Tim Mackey on 10/09/2011 11:49:52

Chris Bott - Moderator10/09/2011 12:25:19
6668 forum posts
1382 photos
1 articles
Tim I just tried this and I DO See exactly what you are.

I'll post something on that thread to back you up..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us