Forum sponsored by CML

All our yesterdays - our old pics

Come on, dig out yer old piccies!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete B - Moderator20/08/2011 23:12:31
7616 forum posts
732 photos
I've rooted out a few piccies from my early modelling days and thought I'd post them to stimulate a bit of discussion about your models of yesteryear - and, no doubt, a few ribald comments about fashions and hairstyles......

An over-ambitious start in free-flight, when I was about 14. It was a Mercury Matador with a Frog 150 diesel. It lasted about 5 seconds, as I recall!.....

Fast forward a few years and I joined Fleet & District MAC. We flew power at Bramshot (as they still do) and sailplanes from Dockenfield:

I can name five of the guys but I'm not sure I should - PM me if you recognise anyone!

My Waterhouse & Ely Superfly, an infamously heavy trainer.......:

......which, even with an OS40, occasionally needed a helping hand off grass!:

Dockenfield provided many happy days thermalling:

The club winch was a Suffolk Colt lawnmower engine with a centrifugal clutch and a foot-operated throttle. The line ran out to a turn-round pulley about 200yds away and we achieved some phenomenal launches in a breeze, kiting the model into the air. Here's me launching my Neville Mattingley-designed Phoenix 100" soarer - a bit revolutionary at the time, having a balsa fus and blue foam wings:

Like the hat..........must see if it's still in the wardrobe.......

I've got some more but unfortunately there are very few considering the time I was involved. I'll see what sort of response this generates

Contributions welcome!!!

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 04/03/2013 21:13:46

Tom Wright 221/08/2011 02:22:26
3908 forum posts
297 photos
Great photos Pete you can fell the nostalgia coming off the page,got bw photos of me and my Lulu and Nordic Tern ff gliders .....somwere in the loft ,cirrca Errr 1956.
Good thread topic but a lot of us will be giving away our age........who cares!

Tom.
Big Bandit21/08/2011 09:01:22
2436 forum posts
947 photos
Hi Pete,

Love the old pici's especially the Matador There's a kit for one in the loft. At the moment the house is a tip following the rewire and renovation, but when the study is back together I'll sort out any old photo's and scan em.

Cheers,

Chris.
Pete B - Moderator04/03/2013 21:32:19
7616 forum posts
732 photos

OK folks,

I didn't get anyone else posting their pics last time round so I thought I'd try again with some photos (of dubious quality, I'm afraid) from the Sandown Symposium sometime around 1980. I'm a bit uncertain about the comments I'm adding to the pics so any corrections, suggestions etc will be welcomethumbs up

A pic of the flightline here - anyone recognise themselves?:

Sandown Flightline

Weston Models - a Club 20 perhaps?:

Sandown Weston

Avon Cosmetics Display Team - Goodyear Racer(?) and Hurricane:

Sandown Goodyear?

Sandown Hurricane

One for Richard Harris and the autogyro guys smile:

Sandown autogyro

NDN-1 Firecracker - don't know whose kit, though:

Sandown

Mock battles and big bangs are nothing new...dinky little village there!:

Sandown battle

...and finally in this post, a piggy-back flight:

Sandown Piggy-back

Come on, you guys, get those scanners and slide-copiers out and let's see what's lurking in your past!smile p

Pete

Pete B - Moderator04/03/2013 22:39:50
7616 forum posts
732 photos

A few more...

Len Mount with Graupner Bell 212:

Sandown Bell 212

Sandown Bell 212

Looks like Mick Reeves with a Blackburn Monoplane:

Sandown Mick Reeves

Ken Binks' Skymaster:

Sandown Skymaster

Unknown heli:

Sandown Heli

...and a Bell 47:

Sandown heli

Finally, a flying lawn-mower, of course....smile

Sandown Flying Lawnmower

Pete

Myron Beaumont04/03/2013 22:46:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Pete

I daren't ask you how you transfer old black & white photos onto the forum .We've still got so sort out webcam pics etc when 'er indoors (the computer guru)isn't out lambing day & night .I'm determined to do it eventually ,thanks again for the destructions .

Pete B - Moderator04/03/2013 23:04:07
7616 forum posts
732 photos

No probs, Myron - I hope the instructions are relevant for your setup - you'll get there!smile

The pics are from some neg strips I'd filed away many years ago, never having got around to printing them. Terry Walters was kind enough to lend me his digital slide/neg copier and I've finally seen them in their, err, glory...teeth 2

Pete

Panther04/03/2013 23:06:12
76 forum posts
9 photos

Here is my first ever R/C model. A Super 60 powered by and OS 35 and Blue Max Radio gear. It lasted years but eventually got too heavy after many repairs and stalled on take-off, flew over a fence upside down and landed in the next paddock upside down so it was retired permanently. As I taught myself to fly, I had fitted trike undercart to make take-offs easier. I don't know how to get pics up here either, I have tried all sorts of links and by the time you try another link your edit options have gone.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/1323/super60x.jpg

I have tried every link possible on Image shack but it still will not embed.

Edited By Panther on 04/03/2013 23:17:29

John Privett05/03/2013 00:34:19
6021 forum posts
239 photos

Like this, Panther?

Panther's pic!

(You just needed to click on the "Image" icon in the edit box - to the left of the camera icon - then put the URL that you posted above into the URL field in Image Properties,  ignore the rest and click OK)

Edited By John Privett on 05/03/2013 00:38:33

Panther05/03/2013 01:21:52
76 forum posts
9 photos

Thanks John Pity I didn't have my old Blue Max sitting beside it. lol

Edited By Panther on 05/03/2013 01:22:08

David Ashby - Moderator05/03/2013 05:37:15
10939 forum posts
1682 photos
613 articles

I've found a couple from Woodvale 1978 (if memory is correct). One of the show stoppers.......

woodvale 1978,2.jpg

woodvale 1978.jpg

I don't recall seeing it fly that day though. Does anyone know about this model, did it ever take to the air successfully?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 05/03/2013 05:37:41

David Ashby - Moderator05/03/2013 05:40:52
10939 forum posts
1682 photos
613 articles

Three shots from the beach flying at the 1979 Pontins Model Makers Festival at Brean, Somerset. We had many happy hols down there.

1979,2.jpg

1979,4.jpg

1979,5.jpg

00105/03/2013 13:13:24
2212 forum posts
1 photos

This was a nice little Pilot models Citabria I bought cheap off ebay about 6 years ago. It was part built and slightly damaged. I modified it to electric power and finished and covered it . Never flew as well as it looked, I think that if it had a Lipo fitted instead of heavy nicad cells it might have fared better! Sold it on. Which I now regret

Martyn K05/03/2013 13:26:02
5041 forum posts
3677 photos

This was me (on the left) aged 17 at the 1973 Freeflight National Championships at Lindholme..

Cool eh.. <not>

am-jan74.jpg

They were amazing days. I lived and breathed free flight..

Martyn

Peter Christy05/03/2013 13:29:01
1677 forum posts

Pete B,

Your "unknown heli" is a Micro-Mold Lark Mk2, being flown by Mick Harris. And the Morley below it is being flown by Mike Young.

And yes, I should get out more.....

smiley

--

Pete

Robin Kearney05/03/2013 13:38:53
1077 forum posts
183 photos

I love these old pics, Pete your pics of Sandown bring back happy memories. I remember visiting Sandown several times with my father.

I started aeromodelling in the eighties I've got a few pics from that era.

Firstly, a low wing 25 powered model from Galaxy models I think, no name for this one.

lowwing-01.jpg

Next up is a Soar Ahead Sailplanes Ace, which was my first glider.

ace.jpg

And my first electric model, a Sonata-E, I can't remember who made the kit. Powered by a 540 buggy motor and NiCad pack, I seem to remember it had a RC controlled on/off switch, no ESCs in those days!

sonata.jpg

And lastly a lovely little flying wing 'holiday' model, which was a Radio Modeller free plan. the 36" wing had a zip in the middle so it could fold in half. It was called the Zippy, I still have the plan and have vague thoughts about building another!

zippy-02.jpg

Pete B - Moderator05/03/2013 15:04:05
7616 forum posts
732 photos

Brean Sands is still going to this day, I believe, David - no sun then, either....I mean, look at the puddles....sad

Apart from the haircut, you don't look a day older, Martyn.....you could have made a fortune in naff TV advertising with that curly mop.......teeth 2

As soon as you mentioned the model names, Peter, I thought "Of course they are..." Thanks for that!

I recall sitting in the grandstand for a good overall view of the flying, Robin, and the day-long scrum around the Jim Davis Models stand - I bought a 'Slim Jim' there. Now you mention it, I'd forgotten I built a Slim Jim until I was going through the old slides:

Slim Jim

Slim Jim

The Fleet club put on a display at RAF Odiham for the local Chamber of Trade Fair in 1979:

Trade Fair 1979

Trade Fair 1979

The Puma couldn't compete with the spectacle we put on, of course....

Pete

00105/03/2013 16:06:01
2212 forum posts
1 photos

Strange how things happen, I had all my old photos and albums out to put them in some sort of order, they are all now packed away at the back of a cupboard behind some other stuff and I am not going to get them out again soon.

But there are two or three that were on my old computer and I will extract them from time to time.

This one is my wonderful Super 60, that at the time had an Enya 41 four stroke. Shamelessly photoshopped with the moon by someone with more skill than me.

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator05/03/2013 16:48:38
6733 forum posts
191 photos

A couple from me.....

From about 1979 I think....my first radio model A Matador powered by a DC Sabre

Thats me on the left...wink 2...note the flares, SMAE cap, flares, addidas trainers, anorak...oh & flares. The chap on the right is Ron Walling...taught me to build & to fly...I owe him so much...thumbs up

Same day....Deane School playing fields.... flares & Digifleet transmitter

ff spitfire0001.jpg

Cambria Fun Fighter Spitfire....about 1981 or 82 I think......

And a Mardave stock car......powered by a HB20.....

I'm sure I've got some more of my Cambria Instructor & an SE5a I built....must have a look...

Oh yesterday leave me alone........teeth 2

00105/03/2013 17:25:54
2212 forum posts
1 photos

This might be the earliest one on here so far. About 1954 or 1955. Vic Smeed Debutante (plane) Mills 0.75.

From a Kodak Cresta camera (not bad!)

Not one laugh about the short trousers please........... or I'll sulk.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us