Forum sponsored by CML

Anyone got a speccy module..??

how does it connect..??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cyclicscooby31/08/2011 18:29:09
874 forum posts
531 photos
When I first saw these speccy modules for Futaba Tx's, I rang up a LMS and they told me my FF7 was NOT compatable as it doesn't have a 'module' pack on the back... Fair enuf..

But i've been looking again, and found a 9ch module on the speccy site that has a square trainer plug on it..!!
Its for the MZ9, or at least thats its part no.

Would that not work on my set, as I have a square socket..??
I was led to believe that when summut is plugged into the port (I use Reflex XTR with mine) that the transmitter output is turned off, i.e. NO 35Mhz.. ?!

So.... If that module only plugs into said port, it should convert mine..??

Worst case senario is, that I buy a 2nd hand FF9, and convert that instead... Still comes in at less than £200..

Any help or advice will be gratefully recieved..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 31/08/2011 18:36:45

Allan Bennett31/08/2011 20:31:25
1686 forum posts
49 photos
Is this the one? Looks like it simply plugs into the trainer socket, doesn't it. But, according to the spec sheet, it's only compatible with the 12MZ or 14MZ.
Cyclicscooby31/08/2011 21:08:28
874 forum posts
531 photos
Yeah, thats the one Alan..

I read the manual, and it does state that the MZ is different, and mixes the signal onto the carrier wave internally, so I presume thats why the plug is there.. I don't know, but can only presume that there are still pins on the back, that plug into the Tx.. ??!!

Thanks anyway Alan...

Luv
Chrisie.. xx
Frank Skilbeck31/08/2011 22:25:30
4734 forum posts
101 photos
is this so you can go fully 2.4 or just to be able to fly the bind and fly models. If it's to fly the bind and fly models then a Spektrum DX6i would probably be more economic, if it's to go fully 2.4 then you could look at the FRSky hack module which you could easily make up a plug for your trainer socket for, thats what I've done on my Multiplex Sx.
Cyclicscooby01/09/2011 11:34:21
874 forum posts
531 photos
Kinda both Frank..

Already got a DX6i, specifically for BNF's..
I'm looking at a 2.4 conversion for my FF7, preferably one that can be 'un-plugged' to revert back to 35Mhz, to use older stuff..
I cant afford to '2.4' the fleet, so figure this is a half-step to get me going..

I've been looking at FF9's on Ebay, a Tx with a module, so it can be easily converted and un-converted.. That way I get the Futaba I like, with the capability to use cheaper Rx's and BNF's...

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 01/09/2011 11:35:00

martyn sharp01/09/2011 11:51:16
420 forum posts
10 photos

Hi chrisie found this on another forum not to sure if it will help or not

Martyn

Edited By martyn sharp on 01/09/2011 11:51:40

Cyclicscooby01/09/2011 13:12:35
874 forum posts
531 photos
Cheers Martyn..

Unfortunately i've got the newer FF7.. I haven't got a module, just a hole for a Xtal..

I think, after looking into it in more depth, that an FF9 with a module appears to be the best way..
I'd only get 8 channels, not 9, but the advantage of keeping a Futaba set, and being able to swap between 35 + 2.4 outweighs that..

I'm sure, somewhere on the net, someone has 'fitted' a module to a newer FF7, but it'll involve cutting, botching, and ir-reverable-ness, and thats not what I want..

Thanks for the replies guys... I've made up my mind now, to get an FF9 + module..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx
GONZO01/09/2011 14:09:22
1371 forum posts
14 photos
Can I suggest an alternative way. Wait until the big fish gets the FrSky DHT-U unit back in stock and use that and the FrSky Rx's. Either standard or telemetry. The Tx unit clamps to your Tx handle or existing 35mHz aerial and the wires you see coming from the unit are connected, via a plug, to your Tx trainer port.
FrSky MAIN SITE for more info. Download the manuals, on the download section, for more detailed info on units that interest you.
HTH
GONZO01/09/2011 15:10:13
1371 forum posts
14 photos
An even cheaper way is to use a FrSky 'Hack' unit installed in your Tx. Telemetry Hack Unit . Note that the second review down mentions installation in a 7C. Standard Hack Unit. Do a search on the various forums, Google, Youtube etc and I'm sure you'll find some help. You only need find power and the Tx PPM stream. More info on the FrSky main site and what looks like a later version with a toggle switch. Other online shops as well as the big fish sell these items.
HTH
Cyclicscooby01/09/2011 16:40:09
874 forum posts
531 photos
Thanks so much Gonzo, especially all the Links..

But... I couldn't use non-branded stuff for the RC side of a model... I appreciate they might be exact clones of branded items, but i'd rather stick to Futaba, JR, Speccy, etc.. Just me, soz..

But thanks again for all the typing...

Luv
Chrisie.. xx
Allan Bennett01/09/2011 20:29:33
1686 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by Cyclicscooby on 01/09/2011 11:34:21:

... I've been looking at FF9's on Ebay, a Tx with a module, so it can be easily converted and un-converted.. That way I get the Futaba I like, with the capability to use cheaper Rx's and BNF's...

My solution was a Futaba 10C with 2.4GHz and 35MHz modules. Basically the same as FF9, I believe. You can also get a Spektrum module for it so you could sell your BNF trannie.

David Ashby - Moderator02/09/2011 08:27:35
11018 forum posts
1723 photos
616 articles
Chrissie,

The FF9 was introduced in 2001 so you could end up with an old radio - try for a FF9 Super that'll be newer or as Allan says, a 10C that came out in 2008 and shares much of the programming.

Cyclicscooby02/09/2011 14:18:52
874 forum posts
531 photos
Ah, wasn't aware of that... ! You guys..

Gold stars to Allan and David for pointing that out.. LOL.

Thanks, I'll start trawling Ebay now..

Luv
Chrisie.. xx

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!