2012 Vintage Mass Build - Sign Up Thread 1

For those that want to build a common model

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator18/09/2011 00:23:21
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Hi Everyone,

OK, we seem to have sufficient interest to run this project so we need to get organised!

This thread is for those that wish to join in building a common model. (there is a parallel thread for those that wish to do a free choice of model here). When we come to the build itself we will not separate the threads like this - but for this bit it is easier if will deal with it as two separate groups.

From the voting we know that there are 14+ of you - so what we need now is for you to post your confirmation of intent to take part and maybe to suggest a candidate model for the joint build if you can. If you do suggest a model please try to include a link to details like where to get the plan/kit, a picture if poss etc. This will help people to decide.

Please no general chat on this thread - we need to keep track of numbers and model nominations. General chat on the vintage mass build can still go here

Once we have most of you "signed in" and a some model nomninations we'll organise a vote to select the model - unless an obvious winner emerges.

Note this is not any form of a committment - all your saying at this stage is that it is your intention to take part.

Off we go...

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 18/09/2011 00:26:38

Bob Cotsford18/09/2011 11:17:13
7681 forum posts
427 photos
If the chosen model happened to be the LiteWorks version of Popsie I could join in both ventures!
Big Bandit18/09/2011 14:41:54
2436 forum posts
947 photos
Bob,

Not sure about the Liteworks version, but Belair are also doing a part kit and plans, looked at it last year £25 or there abouts.

Chris.
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator18/09/2011 20:59:43
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
C'mon guys don't be shy! We can't get on with you picking a model if you don't tell us who you are

BEB
Turbycat19/09/2011 07:28:26
594 forum posts
55 photos
Count me in. I don't know much about vintage stuff so haven't really got any suggestions. Also new to building as I've only been assembling ARTF's for the last few years. So a build alongside others would be really helpfull.

Andy
Chris Bott - Moderator19/09/2011 10:58:45
6470 forum posts
1324 photos
1 articles
I'll go with a common model if everyone goes with the one I want to build
David Ashby - Moderator19/09/2011 10:59:59
10825 forum posts
1615 photos
604 articles
Me too
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/09/2011 11:09:14
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
There are 20+ indicating that they want to go in a common build according to the vote - so far only Turbycat and David has come forward! I'm sorry to push on this but we do need to know quite quickly.

1. We have to select a model - and that could take a week plus.

2. If we select a kit - say a Ben Buckle kit - then we may need to establish contact with the company to see if they are prepared to put some more in production. I don't know but I doubt if there are 20+ versions of most kits about. So more will have to be made - and, as we found out last year when Steve Webb had to get more WebBit kits made, it takes several weeks to do that.

BEB

Klippy19/09/2011 12:28:38
744 forum posts
13 photos
I'm in BEB
James p19/09/2011 20:08:37
4 forum posts
Count me in too!
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/09/2011 20:49:51
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Great - the ball is starting to roll! We now have 4 - but that's 16 unaccounted for

Now, the TV is rubbish, and the pub's too expensive if R/C aeroplanes are your hobby! Therefore they can't be doing anything else - except maybe making model aeroplanes! So let's hope the others login soon and sign up!

BEB

PS Just to make you jealous the other thread for the "free choice" lot is going great guns with 19 signed up so far!
Mark Lubbock20/09/2011 10:23:27
313 forum posts
13 photos
I like the idea of a common build, but I can see problems with identifying a kit as the manufacturer would have to gear up to provide the kits not really knowing how many he will sell. They also tend to be quite expensive.
How about publishing a plan or better still a free plan & offering a wood/parts pack? This would allow the trad builders to get stuck in while still offering a level of assistance to others.
These models can be built from plans very cheaply, particularly if you invest in a balsa stripper.
I would look at something around 45-60" span perhaps Mini Super to Junior 60 size giving IC & electric versions. I think other mags have done similar free plans in the past so it should not be too much of a problem, even a scale up/down version of an existing design could provide some originality if needed.
I have had a lot of fun with a 36" .5 diesel powered scale up of an Aeromodeller free plan of a 24" CO2 powered version of the Cleveland Viking which itself was a scale down of the original, proving that these designs are very adaptable to any size. I also did free flight & R/C versions!
Anyway that's my thoughts, if it goes the other way, I have a number of Ben Buckle kits in my loft so will join in anyway, I'm looking forward to this one!
Barnstormer 5220/09/2011 10:49:54
54 forum posts
1 photos
This is going to be a silly question...

What counts as vintage?

Geoff
Mark Lubbock20/09/2011 11:28:00
313 forum posts
13 photos
Vintage was/is published pre 1950, but this defintion was made in the late '70/early 80s so perhaps things have moved on a bit since then. Anything much after this (& some before) had a much different look & feel to them so I suppose it is largely subjective. For instance many of the KK & Veron designs were post 1950 but some have a very vintage feel to them & also have a sense of nostalgia for folks of my age (early 50's).
My opinion, for what it's worth, is pre 1950, with leeway given to post 1950 designs that meet the 'spirit' of early designs but this can always cause controversy with the purists. Can't see it being too much of a problem for light hearted events such as this.............................................???

Edited By Mark Lubbock on 20/09/2011 11:29:15

Ben B20/09/2011 12:18:41
1383 forum posts
4 photos
I don't think anyone will be getting too retentive about the year cut-off especially as most of the plans were originally FF and later modified to R/C so a pedant would say they're not really pre 1950 designs anyway as they've been modified post 1950

leccyflyer20/09/2011 12:20:12
1201 forum posts
297 photos
If you do decide on the Mini Super, just a word of warning to check that you are building the same model.

Having spoken to the various suppliers on the phone before purchasing my kit, I was informed that the free-plan produced in RCM&E a while back, the BB kit, the CNC-cut parts from Belair do have some differences and it is therefore imperative to let the supplier know which plan you will be using.
kc20/09/2011 12:38:40
5792 forum posts
167 photos
Was the Mini Super a free plan in RCME too? I reckon it was only AMI.

It was a free plan in Aviation Modeller International in Nov 1996. David Boddingtons own 45 inch  three quarters version of the Super Sixty published in Boddos own magazine.

Good choice I would think. Kits from Ben Buckle 49.99 and plans only 6.00 (tricycle u/c ) Plan from from AMI is 11.50 (taildragger u/c ) The taildragger is the original while the trike is the Keil Kraft modified version according to Boddo in AMI.
Not really vintage though?

Edited By kc on 20/09/2011 12:56:55

leccyflyer20/09/2011 13:02:36
1201 forum posts
297 photos
Posted by kc on 20/09/2011 12:38:40:
Was the Mini Super a free plan in RCME too? I reckon it was only AMI.

It was a free plan in Aviation Modeller International in Nov 1996. David Boddingtons own 45 inch three quarters version of the Super Sixty published in Boddos own magazine.

Good choice I would think. Kits from Ben Buckle 49.99 and plans only 6.00 (tricycle u/c ) Plan from from AMI is 11.50 (taildragger u/c ) The taildragger is the original while the trike is the Keil Kraft modified version according to Boddo in AMI.
Not really vintage though?

Edited By kc on 20/09/2011 12:56:55

I haven't bought AMI in ages (finally gave up on the non-existent proof reading and tendency to print blue text on a predominantly blue photographic background rendering whole pages unreadable, and which should have been apparent at proof stage to the even the most inept sub-editor) and I do have a plan, so assumed it was from RCM&E.

suppose it might be an AMI plan, in which case I stand corrected.

The model of choice for this project does not need to be vintage (in terms of being a pre-1950 design) - that has arleady been resolved.
kc20/09/2011 14:29:03
5792 forum posts
167 photos
Mini Super is definitely an AMI plan No 128

As this site is hosted by RCME perhaps we should use a MyHobbyStore plan. I suggest the Electra by Vic Smeed. 52 inch span typical Smeed design high wing Plan No RC 506.

Something you dont see much and an early purpose built RC model from Aeromodeller April 1953. Ideal for electric or 3.5cc diesel etc. Great flier too and simple build. And it's time we honoured Vic Smeed.
leccyflyer20/09/2011 14:33:50
1201 forum posts
297 photos
I agree that if it is to be a plan build then one from the RCM&E/RCSA/RM stable would be more fitting as a forum build.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
CML
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us