By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Blackburn B2 - a 30's bipe with a whole lot of shiny bits!

1/5.5 scale, 65

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stephen Jones15/10/2011 12:08:58
2693 forum posts
1528 photos
Hi tim ,

looks like another winner to me ,

I read your bit on designing youre own models in RCM&E a good read it was too . Found it strange that we both work are plans the same way although i have never had any training in designing and the only drawing i had learned was at school in GED ( general engineering drawing ) . strange how problems are solved in pretty much the same manner like using a strip of balsa to achieve a nice curve .

Keep up the good work

Tim Hooper15/10/2011 19:32:29
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Stephen,

Like you the only formal training I ever received was back in the 70's, where I gained an 'O' level in Tech Drawing. Never thought I'd ever find a use for it in later life!

Just to prove the point here's the current situation on the fuselage plan.....

The aft section of the fuselage is pretty well sorted out. Now I need to move onto the nose and sort out the motor mount and cowl.

tim
Malcolm Fisher15/10/2011 20:44:01
617 forum posts
7 photos
Tim,

For the shiny metal, have you considered self adhesive aluminium tape?

I have seen and bought some at two inches wide and also four inches wide. The latter is used by insulation people to stick aluminium backed insultation round pipes or hot water cylinders etc.

It is very sticky and shiny, hasn't a great deal of strength but can, with care, be worked round some compound curves.

I could send you a sample if you would like.

Malcolm

Tim Hooper16/10/2011 20:43:37
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Malcolm,

Thanks for the idea! To be honest it had already flitted through my mind, but I thought it would be too thick and heavy for my purposes.

tim
Malcolm Fisher16/10/2011 21:10:47
617 forum posts
7 photos
Tim, I don't really know what you would consider to be too thick or heavy. I find the material to be thin and light, but mine aren't necessarily the same as your values.

As I said, I can send you a bit of each so that you can "suck it and see" before spending any money.
A PM with your address will get some on its way to you.

Malcolm
Tim Hooper23/10/2011 18:07:18
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Package received and waiting for testing. Thank you Malcolm!

Red letter day yesterday in that I stopped shilly-shallying about with a pencil, and exchanged it for a scalpel instead.....

First off was a set of 1/32 ply templates for the rib fronts and middle sections. I glued these to balsa 'handles' , and then spent a couple of hours knifing out the ribs from 3/32 and 1/4 balsa sheet.

Construction proper starts with the upper and lower wing centre-sections, with the 6mm ID aluminium tubes being sandwiched into the 1/4" spars.

The upper CS is built onto a 1/16 sheet base, and the ribs and LE added. The top will be sheeted over later after I install all the ply-work for the cabane mounts.

The lower CS is built onto a 2mm Liteply base. This unit will be built into the fuselage itself later, and will house the undercarriage mounts as well.

Just to give a little idea of the scale of the project, the CS's measure 8" across.

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 23/10/2011 18:08:03

Danny Fenton23/10/2011 18:16:13
9105 forum posts
3945 photos
Is that the balsa I caught you selecting at SLEC (LMA Gaydon Event) this afternoon Tim

Bloomin quick if it was........

It was good to see you and Netty
Tim Hooper23/10/2011 18:20:48
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Hiya danny! Good to see you too! I thought it was a very good show. I didn''t buy any balsa, but I got a good deal on 3 rolls of silver Solartex though....

tim
Danny Fenton23/10/2011 18:30:59
9105 forum posts
3945 photos
I didn't get on with silver solartex, it was like rubber when it got hot.

This should be even nicer than the Cygnet, and that is lovely

Cheers
Danny

Tim Hooper24/10/2011 19:06:03
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
I recognise that woman!

Now you've got me worried about the Solartex. Damn you, Fenton.......

Given that the wing spars will be fitted with 5mm CF joiners, it seems sensible to get these installed and out of the way before I engulf the spars with wing ribs etc.

So with the lower CS on the board, and a long ruler pressed against its LE, I made up a jig out of scrap balsa sheet to jack up the ends of the main and aft spars at their tips. There's 30 mm of both dihedral and sweepback here. I was then able to push the joiners through the CS tubes, and mark their positions directly onto the spars themselves.

The spars were then slotted, and the joiners CA'd in place.

I'll add further reinforcement as the build progresses.

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 24/10/2011 19:06:27

Tim Hooper25/10/2011 21:20:31
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
At the risk of labouring this thread, but to help anybody who's a bit new to the build process, here're a few pics of the first wing panel to be built. For no particular reason I've plumped for the upper left-hand panel to begin with.

I made a quick tracing from the plan, to avoid all the pin holes, glue and coffee stains .....

First items to be laid down are the trailing edge and lower capstrips.

The previously fabricated spars are glued to the capstrips.
Just to make sure it fits fits, I slipped the centre-section over the joiners. Seems OK so far!

The final stage this evening was to add the middle sections of the wing ribs. Apart from the 1/4" root and strut ribs, the ribs are 3/32" sheet. All simple so far, yes?

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 25/10/2011 21:21:08

Tim Hooper28/10/2011 11:03:53
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Not much progress over the last couple of days - a couple of rock gigs (Southside Johnny and Alice Cooper) took precedence!

Never mind - I have to day off work, so I'm spending a few hours in the workshop to compensate for my musical self-indulgence. And also to let the ringing in my ears subside after last night's absolutely stunning show by Alice.....

I'm addinf a couple more detail shots of the upper left wing panel, just to aid anyone who gets a bit stuck or is unclear.

With the little triangular rear rib sections added twixt TE and rear spar, I set to on the front of the wing. 3/32" shims were pinned to the board followed by the 1/2x5/8 LE. The the rib front parts followed shortly behind.

The spars were tapered at the tips, and the 1/4 tip plates added. The tip ribs are around half the depth of the rest of the ribs.

At the root end of the panel the ends of the CF dowels were shaved back flush with the faces of their spars, and then hard 1/8 webs were glued over the top, and clamped overnight.

Not content with all this progress, I also added the 1/8 ply interplane strut plate, and some triangular balsa reinforcement.

When the LE edge glue had dried, I planed it level with the tops of the ribs (together with the spars), and aded the 1/16x1/4 capstrips. Purely for aesthetic reasons alone, I like to have the capstrips pass over the top of the LE - when it's all sanded later, you end up with a sort of 'knobbly' effect at the front edge of the wing, which looks a bit more interesting than a plain LE. But that's just me....

Once the wing is lifted from the board, then I'll tuck the fronts of the lower capstrips in behind the LE and secure with CA.

And then it'll be time for the next panel - the lower left. It's pretty much identical to the this one except for the servo mount and inset aileron, so there's no need to go into great detail.

tim

kevin wild28/10/2011 17:17:57
133 forum posts
94 photos
Hi

your builds are a pleasure to watch. Knobbly effects are nice

I recon you'll have it flying before Santa's been

nice one
Stefan Hafner28/10/2011 17:34:23
382 forum posts
15 photos
Looks like its gonna be a good one, carefull on gray days tho, somone at my old club had a chrome plane and lost sight of it about 30 seconds after take-off
Tim Hooper29/10/2011 16:48:30
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Posted by kevin wild on 28/10/2011 17:17:57:
I recon you'll have it flying before Santa's been

nice one

You might be right Kev!

I hear you on the grey plane against a grey sky warning. Many's the time where I've lost orientation with a silver model. I stopped panicking years ago though!

Just a couple of shots from todays session. The lower left panel is pretty done and dusted, and is very similar to its upper brother, except for....

...the servo mount and inset aileron. I've also fitted substantial 1/4" gussets betwixt the root rib and the spars.

Further outboard is the 1/8 ply mount for the interplane strut - this time fitted to the upper surface of the wing. Once the 3mm blind nuts have been fitted then I'll add some scraps of balsa to fair it into the upper outline of the capstrips.

tim

Seamus O'Leprosy29/10/2011 17:05:17
842 forum posts
115 photos
This months Aeroplane monthly has a feature on a Blacburn Bipe, I dont think its yours though.
Good luck with this one.
Tim Hooper30/10/2011 21:59:35
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Seamus,

Their website only shows June as the latest issue......

OK, one final shot of the upper and lower panels flying in close formation just ot highlight their differences.
Now I just need to knuckle down, turn the plan over, and build the right-hand panels!

tim

Ton van Munsteren31/10/2011 20:40:07
1279 forum posts
3301 photos
Tim,

Thats going to be another great model looks like your building the model in a showroom.
Great pickies and just to let you know Iam enjoying the build.

Ton
Tim Hooper05/11/2011 19:06:19
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 31/10/2011 20:40:07:.....looks like your building the model in a showroom.
Chance would be a fine thing. You can't see the constant mayhem that's just out of shot....

Anyway, I'm delighted to report that the wings are pretty much completed!

Not only that but I've installed the M3 blindnuts that will eventually hook up with the struts....
.....and then strengthened the mounts with some 3/8 block balsa to spread the flight loads.

Right-oh, we're off to the cinema to watch Tin Tin....

tim
Stephen Jones06/11/2011 19:14:22
2693 forum posts
1528 photos
Hi Tim ,

How was Tin Tin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us