By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Blackburn B2 - a 30's bipe with a whole lot of shiny bits!

1/5.5 scale, 65

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tim Hooper06/11/2011 23:05:03
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Tin Tin was great! We saw the 3D version - which was a first for me.

Wierdly I've no problem with watching a film that's 100% CGI, whereas I find it awkward in a film where it's mixed with real actors. Recommended.

tim
Stephen Jones07/11/2011 19:28:49
2692 forum posts
1528 photos
Thanks Tim ,

Looks good from the clips , but you can never be sure it`s just the best bits they show .

I`ll have To see if i can get the misses to take me and kids to see it this weekend ,
We could all do with a bit of cheering up .,

Tim Hooper08/11/2011 11:03:11
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Stephen,

It's a feel-good film, and it's pretty obvious thatr there's going to be a sequel or two n the way fairly soon.

Back to business in the workshop sees the tail surfaces rough-hewn from chunks of 1/4" strip and sheet.

tim

cad08/11/2011 12:39:49
36 forum posts
31 photos
Hi Tim
Once agin impressed by your build blogs, and the draughtmanship in turning a small A4 drawing into large scale plans. There is a photo of two fuselage sections set about the vertical and horizontal axsis. Is there a short answer as to how you use the radial lines to set out the sections. are the lines used to set out the small sectiion from the large one or vice versa? Later photos show what appears to be a hard surfaced work board for building up the wings, not a softer surface to enable you to fix pins more easily. I always find that using hard boards tends to end up with bent pins, and sore fingers.
regards cad

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Admin on 08/11/2011 12:55:05

David Ashby - Moderator08/11/2011 12:56:45
10911 forum posts
1672 photos
607 articles
I've moved your post to Tim's existing thread cad

Tim Hooper08/11/2011 13:39:37
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Hi Cad,

Thanks for the interest! You've got the general idea about using radial lines to find the proportions of the intermediate formers along the fuselage. The large former is already defined, and the radial lines emanate from the small former at the front of the tailplane. The intermediate ones are simply measured along the radial lines. In real life, I'll fiddle with them later on to get the final fit sorted, and alter the plans to suit!

For the photos;

I draw the plans on a normal office desk (annoyingly finished in a confusing 'woodgrain' finish.

The wings and tail are built on a solid balsa building board, which takes pins quite easily. The reason it looks dark is simply because I fiddle with the image contrast in Photoshop for clarity!

The backdrop for the finishd items is a sheet of white paper some 8 feet wide, and lit by a pair of studio flashes in the attic!

Simple, eh?

tim
Tim Hooper11/11/2011 13:16:54
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
More work on the tailplane this morning;

1/8 capstrips were added top and bottom.

Then a few minutes of focessed rage with a plane and Permagrit block sees the tail sanded to section.
The final stage this morning was to cut the elevators free and install the 12 swg wire joiner with epoxy. Only then could I get rid of that shaded portion of balsa.

Right then, next stop;- fuselage!

tim

Danny Fenton11/11/2011 13:25:02
9104 forum posts
3945 photos
Thats an interesting way of doing the joiner Tim, obvious really, and saves messing around alligning the two seperate halves.

Looking good
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator11/11/2011 13:33:14
6720 forum posts
189 photos
Just adding a post so I can share in Tims wonderful building before heading back to my workshop & smashing up my part built models because they are not as good as Tims......grrrrrrr!!!

The Ten Commandments tell us "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours ass" but I sure wish I could bdesign & build as well as you Tim.....
Stephen Jones11/11/2011 14:41:53
2692 forum posts
1528 photos
Yes you can tell that not only does Tim like building models He is also very methodical on his build .

Keep up the good work Tim .

Tim Hooper12/11/2011 18:30:54
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 11/11/2011 13:25:02:
Thats an interesting way of doing the joiner Tim, obvious really, and saves messing around alligning the two seperate halves.

Looking good
Thanks Dan,

It's not something I've seen before, but I doubt I'm the first to use it! As you say, pretty obvious, and avoids that messing about with two elevator halves, a piece of bent piano wire and a sticky gobbet of epoxy, whilst racing against the clock to try to get everything aligned before the epoxy decides to suddenly set solid!

Steve and Stephen,

You're very kind Gents! Yes, I do enjoy the building process - especially sorting out the problems before I get near the building board, and start cutting wood.

tim
Tim Hooper13/11/2011 14:56:17
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
So, the fuselage gets underway......

The fuselage is based around the lower centre-section I made all those millenia ago, and forms the central module of the rest of the build.

I cut F4 and F5 from 1/8 ply - they're nearly identical, except for the lower corners - and glued them to the fronts of the main and rear spars.

The diagonal balsa strips will provide reinforcement, and just visible above the spars are the 3mm holes that the lower rigging wires will eventually bolt to.

Besides the plates for the undercart mounts, the next items added are the 1/8 ply strips (c/w 3mm blind nuts) that will serve as the lower attachment points for the cabane struts.

Although it might seem obvious to add the fuselage sides at this point, I think it'll make sense to push on with the cabane struttery instead, whilst I have such good access.

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 13/11/2011 14:57:04

Tim Hooper13/11/2011 20:27:52
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Flushed with success (and too much wind to spend the afternoon at the field), spent a few minutes constructing a model of a tree-house from 1/8 sheet balsa, which I ca'd to the top of the formers.

Using a couple of set squares I centred the upper CS on the outhouse (allowing for the 20mm forward stagger), and tacked it in place with more CA.

The final alignment test was to fit the outboard panels and then sight along the leading edges. Looks pretty good!

tim

Stephen Jones14/11/2011 13:59:11
2692 forum posts
1528 photos
Hi Tim ,

Is this a change in design direction .
A flying tree house , Or is this a way of setting the struts for the top wing .
You have not made it clear why you have done this

Only joking , Keep up the good work .

Tim Hooper16/11/2011 20:58:31
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
All can be revealed Stephen!

I've spent a couple of hours making some P-clips out of brass sheet, and then cobbling up the cabane struts from a mixture of 12swg verticals, 18swg diagonals, some fuse wire and a few blobs of solder....

That done I removed the bird house.....

....and then re-attached the centre section. Here's the front;

And here's the back!

At first glance quite a fiddl job, but by approaching it in a logical fashion it wasn't that much of a chore really!

tim

Danny Fenton16/11/2011 21:09:04
9104 forum posts
3945 photos
can you give us a close up of the top of one of the uprights Tim? really looks great, must get a roll of white background paper . lovely photos and great work
Tim Hooper17/11/2011 17:48:50
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 16/11/2011 21:09:04:
can you give us a close up of the top of one of the uprights Tim?

Let me clean up the joints with a file first, and then selact one that doesn't look like it was joined with the effluvia of a passing pidgeon, OK?

tim
Tim Hooper18/11/2011 18:47:48
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Okaaaaay.....specifically for young Master Fenton....

Here's the top of a front upright (upside down) to show the brass P-clip what I made. That's an M3 button-headed screw for scale. The large plate under the P-clip is a seperate item, and will be used as the inboard anchorage for the rigging wire (the other end terminates at the interplane strut). The 18swg diagonal wire is bound and soldered to the 12swg main member, although in retrospect, it would be possible to have tucked that into the P-clip as well!

The rear clips are slightly wider so as to accomodate two 12swg wires.

The clips at the bottom ends of the struts are very similar.

This seems to be a convenient time to carry on soldering, and to consider the outboard struts. As usual I'd cobbled together a simple frame from strip balsa (took all of 15 mins!), which holds the wings at the correct dihedral, stagger, incidence and sweepback, whilst the interplane struts will be built in situ.

The frame has been painted black for clarity, and is held to the wings with elastic bands!

Simple, eh?

tim

Edited By Tim Hooper on 18/11/2011 18:48:38

Danny Fenton18/11/2011 21:00:09
9104 forum posts
3945 photos
magic Tim, they cleaned up well, te he
you really are quite good at this modelling lark
Cheers
Danny

sorry emoticons don't work properly on Android tablets, well this site doesnt
Tim Hooper20/11/2011 16:52:17
2859 forum posts
2363 photos
Thanks Dan. Mind you, I've seen your work over the years, and you're really up there with the best!

Today has been declared as Interplane Sunday. Too murky to go flying, so a sustained effort to get the struttery finished off - and guess what? It's done!

Both wings in unison.

All the 12swg parts will encased in balsa farings at a later date, but for now it's time to get back to balsa basics, and get on with the fuselage.

Not tonight though. Tonight we're orf to see Ed Byrne .......

tim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us