Pix-e major (christmas winner build)

plan build from a copy of cnc parts sent from RCM&E christmas comp

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian Day09/01/2012 09:40:07
351 forum posts
101 photos
Well here goes,
Starting the Pix-E Major sent to me from RCM&E looking forward to this one, better that i got the cnc kit, wood pack and plan as a prize, again thanks to Ken Anderson and David Ashby

But in keeping with the scratch building side i have been busy copying most of the parts so far, reason being that then i can make even more as really like this model, and take my hat off to Tim Hooper for this design.

the ones with a green dots have been copied but doing well so far having test fitting of parts on wings looking like its going together pretty well, pictures will follow shortly
CNC Kit

Adrian Day09/01/2012 09:56:50
351 forum posts
101 photos
All the parts cut so far  just the stick work to do next

Above the test fit of the wing ribs

Edited By Adrian Day on 09/01/2012 09:58:56

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator09/01/2012 10:06:29
6763 forum posts
197 photos
Just adding a post so I can follow along Adrian....Pix E is on my list to build in about one & a half models time.

I will be using my CNC scalpel & fretsaw to cut my bits out however......
Adrian Day09/01/2012 10:30:51
351 forum posts
101 photos
Welcome Steve
nice to have you following hope that some where along the line what i put may be of some help not great with words but will put things best that i can ,

wish i had a CNC machine would be in my element dont think i would ever stop building
its a sweet model small have like the look for about a year when it first came out in the mag,

you say your going to make it in 1 .5 models time what you building at present?
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator09/01/2012 10:52:19
6763 forum posts
197 photos
I have only built one CNC kit & was amazed by the quality & accuracy of the cutting & the fit of the parts....I had to keep reminding myself that it was actually balsa wood I was dealing with & not T066 Aluminium!!!! Certainly very different from the old "die crushed" kits we used to have....

My half finished model is the Luton Minor from Dave Royds' RCM&E plan a while ago & which has been on the bench far too long now (it got moved so I could build a big Wot 4 & then a Midget Mustang from the Tony Nijhuis design in RCM&E ages ago) & then the next one will be a Mini Panic which is designed for electric but will have a 32 glow up the sharp end when I've finished with it........this has been maturing nicely under the bench for just over 16 months now so it should be just about ready to build.....

Pix E should come next although I might be forced to sneak a Sharkface in there too....a 22" 1/2A design that Big Bandit Chris has inspired me to build. Mind you he seemed to put his together in less time than it takes me to change a scalpel blade....sigh!!!

In between I need to work, decorate the house, the washing machine sounds a bit dodgy too, re-lay the patio, build up my little boys train set onto a folding bench, keep his & his brothers R/C buggies going, put a new 2.4GHz radio in both their boats, fettle my foamie slope soarer so I can chuck it off a big hill.... & I might get the odd days flying in if I'm lucky.....so a start date around.. oooh this time next year is a possibility....but don't count on it.....

Am I complaining though?? Nope not a bit of it....I love it all......
Adrian Day09/01/2012 11:07:10
351 forum posts
101 photos
Wow Steve sounds like your not going to sleep between now n 2013 lol
but keeps you thinking and thats never a bad thing i guess

sounds like you have been busy with all the builds you have been doing,, cant go wrong with Tony Nijus plans they are fantastic same as Tim's the best part its the build blogs they help out bigtime,

been watching a TN build thats really good four hurricans built at same time
Adrian Day09/01/2012 16:16:18
351 forum posts
101 photos
been on a busy one today so far got most of the wings made! just waiting for the leading edge to dry before i fit the wing tips other than that fingers crossed its all going in the right direction
think while they are drying may cut all parts for the tailplane n fin should take to long .... i dont think.

Tim Hooper09/01/2012 16:50:27
2899 forum posts
2406 photos
Adrian,

Good luck with the Pix-E!

BRC Hobbies no longer list the motor that I used in the prototype, but this looks to be a very suitable alternative package;

Given the light weight of the model, I'd stick to a 2S 1300 li-po or similar, with a 9x4.7 or 9x6 slo-fly prop. Shouldn't go far wrong....

tim
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator09/01/2012 17:00:19
6763 forum posts
197 photos
This is the motor I have in mind for my Pix E......using a 2S as Tim suggests on an 8 or 9 " slow fly prop.....Lovely....
Adrian Day09/01/2012 17:06:19
351 forum posts
101 photos
TY Tim,

May just need luck not dont open frame planes before so this will take a little learning but looking at you threads giving me good hints how to do things, some that not seen in the mag
Still kind of learning so this should be fun little model to work with

Thank you also for the link i looked at that one but didnt know if it was going to be good enought but as you know 10000x better than me will take your word and invest in that one good price to we all like that
regards Adrian
Adrian Day09/01/2012 17:11:20
351 forum posts
101 photos

TY Steve,

now thats given me food for thought price is good power looks good wonder what price ESC would cost to go with that one? If it would work out less or more

regard Adrian

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator09/01/2012 17:20:31
6763 forum posts
197 photos
Ah...the eternal problem of choice!!!!

It's Tims model so he will be best placed to advise.....

For ESCs I've got a unit "in stock" so to speak....I think its a 25A unit but I'm not sure.

If you are going to use a 2S Lipo then thats around 8 volts & I reckon you will need about 80 watts or so to fly the Pix E; so you will need 10A max out of your Lipo (8V x 10A = 80 watts) so go for a 12A or 18A ESC to be safe.....these are around the £10 mark...see 12A & 18A
Tim Hooper09/01/2012 17:25:49
2899 forum posts
2406 photos
Steve,

That motor looks a bit hot with a Kv of 1650 rpm/volt. Perhaps suited to a faster flying model using a 7" prop?

How about this one? Looks a bit gentler for a 9" prop......

tim
Adrian Day09/01/2012 19:38:24
351 forum posts
101 photos
Steve
I have just looked at the links ty they are very useful have added them to a basket but not getting them yet, as for the motor i think I will go with Tim on that one as you say he knows this model and power set up (not saying you dont) sorry..

but as far as i know he would know what this model could or couldnt handle i dont really want to mess this up before i start
very gratefull for both your inputs as really need as much as i can get right now.

as for the 2s li-po is there any particular pack either of you would suggest, kind of from same site as MOTOR and ESC would be good

thinking of getting 2 of this 9G SERVO
thinking of getting this LI-PO
Dont know if its right or wrong just doing this on a low budget
Steve Hargreaves - Moderator10/01/2012 08:57:21
6763 forum posts
197 photos
Hi Tim....yes its a fairly high kv but I based it on the bell motor you suggested originally.....these have a fairly high kv too of around 1700 if my memory serves me & running a 2S set up I thought the lower kv motor this one at kv1200 might not be suitable....

I have one of the kv1200 motors also, destined for 3S use, so I can swap if I need to!!!

@Adrian.....Tim would certainly be the man to advise you here.....he designed the thing after all..... IMHO the servos would be fine....I'll be using similar & the Lipo will be OK too although I might be tempted by a slightly larger battery at say 1300mAh.....

Tim, might the smaller (900mAh) battery be a tad too light & cause possible cofg isues do you think?
Tim Hooper10/01/2012 14:39:32
2899 forum posts
2406 photos
Gents,

The li-po size probably isn't too critical. It sits just forward of the CG, and my model balances perfectly with it on board. If you use a smaller cell-pack then you might need to add a couple of grammes of noseweight as well.

Steve, You're quite right about the Kv of the bell motor. I've just checked the specs on the GC website. I'd forgotten it was that high!

As you were, gents......

tim
Adrian Day10/01/2012 19:36:25
351 forum posts
101 photos
Hi tim
thanks for all your help on the power side think i will go for the one i see and i have seen a 1300 on an american site but not sure on the cost of pnp, but it works out £3.80 for the li-po,

also if i put the LiPo more to the rear is it pos to put the servos inside the model with a fine metal push rod as in the size wire used to hold the wing rods to the hing????

well i have the wings finished today will take some pictures let me know if you think they look ok or not please ???
Tim Hooper10/01/2012 20:15:24
2899 forum posts
2406 photos
Adrian,

Looks like you're getting your head around the power systems available! I'm a regular user of Giant Cod and they offer this 1300 cell pack;

Yup, you can put the battery and servos wherever you like! Putting the battery rearwards will certainly let you move the servo forward, although I would use thin steel wire as a pushrod - it's great under tension, but bows under compression. Use a length of 1/8 BBQ skewer with wire ends bound and glued on. A traditional pusrod, in fact!

tim
Adrian Day10/01/2012 23:20:36
351 forum posts
101 photos
cheers Tim

trying to get used to the maths never really known all the info on kv / w so on , only working in the idea of 1lb to 100w but never know how to work out the power set amps or battery, thats something i will need to work on in the future,

thanks for the link that looks a perfect size for this model size and power and would go well with the motor u suggested ?

must have known as today i bought 100BBQ skewers for 99p cant go wrong

on that note i was thinking of running the wire inside a tube, such as a internal rod of a standard push rod if that makes sence, dont know if that would work but i know the idea your saying, even more food for thought??? what way would you think best Tim?

Adrian
Adrian Day10/01/2012 23:25:09
351 forum posts
101 photos
WINGS COMPLETED

Nearly finished wings took this before I finished adding the last 2 gussets But have now fitted them so all done now onto the tail !!
think they look ok???

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!