Forum sponsored by CML

You wonder why I am grumpy??

Trying to update my driving licence

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Myron Beaumont02/03/2012 11:11:16
5797 forum posts
51 photos

angry 2 Can anyone relate to my problem and suggest how to achieve an address change on my driving licence on line .I've been trying for a year now but the number on the rear face of my photo licence which has the requisite 10 digits has not been accepted because they tell me that it must have 10 digits crying 2.Can you beat that . Yes ,I know I'll have to go to a post office as a last resort when I am near one (N Yorks moors !). Anyone else encountered similar problems . At least I now will have retrospective proof of attempting to perform this simple update (on here).The max fine could be £1000 apparently

Myron YO13 anti bureaurocrazy dept

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 02/03/2012 11:27:12

Steve W-O02/03/2012 11:32:13
2775 forum posts
310 photos

That is because the licence is no longer valid, and you have to re-take the test Ha

ve you checked the number on the counterpart? Some of the prining on the photo card was very dodgy.

Martin Harris - Moderator02/03/2012 11:35:45
9766 forum posts
264 photos

Are you entering an O instead of a 0 or vice versa?

Olly P02/03/2012 11:35:49
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Or, on the bottom of the paper part fill in the box with your new address and pop it in an envelope, it'll be posted back with the new address on.

Olly

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/03/2012 11:48:02
6765 forum posts
199 photos

Olly has the solution.....thumbs up

Oh & I think you might have incriminated yourself there too Myron....you say you've been trying to change it for a year so it follws that your license has been incorrectly addressed for a year too......methinks a £1000 fine is coming your way....wink 2

Of course for only £999 I could edit your post to remove any incriminating evidence......smile d

Myron Beaumont02/03/2012 11:55:15
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Martin -There are no O's or 0's in the number !

Olly -My licence is a plastic one (like a credit card in size) with my photo on it --No paperwork unfortunately, 'cos that system actually worked for years having changed addresses many many times

Steve -What number on what counterpart ?

Thanks for your replies chaps

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/03/2012 11:58:24
6765 forum posts
199 photos

Myron you should have a paper bit too D740. Where they record all your speeding points...sad

Theres a section at the bottom for you to fill in your new address....thumbs up

Myron Beaumont02/03/2012 12:16:07
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Steve

Excuse me but I havn't had a single licence point in my 50 odd years of driving .Maybe that's why they can't find me being a "one off" 'cos if everybody was like me they'd have to sack half the DVLA 'cos they'd have even less to do (or nothing even )wink 2

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/03/2012 12:23:44
6765 forum posts
199 photos

No offence intended Myron....if you have achieved 50 years without a point then that is highly impressive.....its so easy to pick them up thanks to the cameras & a moments inattention...sad

Steve W-O02/03/2012 12:48:57
2775 forum posts
310 photos
Posted by Myron Beaumont on 02/03/2012 11:55:15:

Olly -My licence is a plastic one (like a credit card in size) with my photo on it --No paperwork unfortunately, 'cos that system actually worked for years having changed addresses many many times

Steve -What number on what counterpart ?

Thanks for your replies chaps

You should have a paper with all the details on it, it is referred to as the counterpart. The photo card licence is invalid without the counterpart, if you need to produce your licence, the counterpart is required. All photocard licences were issued with a counterpart.

I would suggest you look at reporting it lost in the move, quite possible in the UK as you are not required to carry your licence, so the two parts are likely to be kept together for those who don't carry it with them. Of course you happen to have a photocopy of the card for some reason, or a record of your drivers number so that you can write in. In the letter you can state that the address on the licence is xxxxxxxxxx and you have now moved to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Myron Beaumont02/03/2012 13:15:43
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Steve

Thanks for the advice .I shall delve through all the paperwork in a big box I have to see if I have a D740.That'll bring back a few memories for sure face 16.If I tell them I have lost it then you will be in a stronger position to blackmail me about my info on this site 'cos I would be lying .

Do you know of any cheap lawyers that I might need- unbeknown to yourself crook

Isn't this how they get rich from law abiding citizens ? Please excuse my comments 'cos I've now taken to the evil beer to help calm me down !

Former Member02/03/2012 13:26:56
6538 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Olly P02/03/2012 13:33:16
3215 forum posts
181 photos

I must send mine off too....or use the online thing - that'll be a job for this pm then as I can't fly or build!

John Privett02/03/2012 21:53:45
6130 forum posts
243 photos
Posted by Myron Beaumont on 02/03/2012 11:55:15:

What about 1's and I's?

I've just looked at mine and can't see a 10-digit number on it though... I renewed it very recently and I'm sure I had to enter my "Driver number." This consists of 5 letters (the first 5 letters of your surname - no idea what happens if your surname is less than 5 letters in length!) then 6 digits (date of birth slightly "disguised" and finally 5 characters (in my case the initials of my 2 forenames, then a number and 2 letters.)

Myron Beaumont02/03/2012 22:08:25
5797 forum posts
51 photos

John

The number is on the reverse side of the licence in the bottom right hand corner .The one you are quoting is your personal driving licence number as you say , a mixture of your details in code .I rather think that those guys who decifered the enigma code at Bletchley Park would have solved it in about 2 seconds smile d

Tony Bennett02/03/2012 22:19:48
5082 forum posts
129 photos

i still have the old paper one.

not changing to this new plastic thing.

Martin Harris - Moderator02/03/2012 23:02:03
9766 forum posts
264 photos

Ditto - never seen any sense in paying for the privilege of having a plastic card that hasn't any legal usefulness! If I move I'll get one free (AFAIK) but otherwise my tattered and frayed piece of paper in its cracked plastic sleeve will do fine!

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/03/2012 23:02:39

Myron Beaumont02/03/2012 23:08:04
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Martin

I think you've no option nowadays when your circumstances change .Don't think a new paper one is available ?

John Privett02/03/2012 23:28:04
6130 forum posts
243 photos

Myron - yep got it now! The 10-digit number is only on the photocard, and I was looking on my paper counterpart licence.

And Martin's licence will need replacing when he's 70, or (as he said) if he moves house - which is the most likely way that his circumstances may change. Then he'll have to get a photocard licence.

Martyn K03/03/2012 00:31:52
5151 forum posts
3761 photos
Posted by Olly P on 02/03/2012 11:35:49:

Or, on the bottom of the paper part fill in the box with your new address and pop it in an envelope, it'll be posted back with the new address on.

Olly

Be very wary about sending your license away for a renewal. There is a known issue that when they come back you may have 'lost' some of your entitlements. Before you send it, get the license copied then certified by someone as a true copy. One of my sidelines is restoring old bikes, there are many stories of older bikers having lost their entitlement to ride and being forced to either send a copy of their original pass certificate or retake their test.

My solution was to "lose" my old license and get a replacement and then when all the details matched I then found the one I lost.

Good luck,

Martyn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!