Throttles, Speed Controllers and Motors

A suggestion to help us, help you

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Olly P01/05/2012 08:25:23
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Hello everyone,

I have notice a recurring pattern in the last few weeks/months of beginners having difficulty getting the throttle to respond normally on speed controllers.

I have compiled a list of questions the answers to which will help us to guide you in getting your throttle sorted, and a quick set of tests to do the same.

FOR ANY SETTING UP OF ESC's/THROTTLES REMOVE YOUR PROP

I think that was clear enough....I have the scars on my leg to show why this should be done.

Questions then:

1) What Transmitter

2) What Reciever

3) What Speed Controller/ESC

Test procedure

1) disconnect battery from ESC#

2) power on Transmitter (tx)

3) ensure throttle is fully down and trim is neutral

4) plug in battery

5) note any noises/movement

6) power down by removing flight pack then turning of tx

7) repeat from step 2, with throttle fully open - remember no prop attached

report results in post with information from questions above.

Thanks

Olly

Pete B - Moderator01/05/2012 09:32:49
7583 forum posts
732 photos

Sorry, Olly, I don't think that will work....procedure is as follows:

1. Prop removed, Tx off and and battery disconnected.

2. Switch on Tx, move throttle to fully open.

3. Connect battery to ESC.

4. After a couple of seconds, beeps will be heard from the motor.

5. Move throttle to fully closed.

6. Wait until beep sequence changes.

7. Open throttle gently to verify movement and direction.

8. Disconnect battery.

9. Switch off Tx.

Pete

Olly P01/05/2012 09:58:42
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Pete - the problem is on many ESC's having the throttle at full open on connection will enter programming mode, and depending on how long elapses before moving the stick back you are liable to change settings on the ESC.

If you have the throttle closed to start with on most makes I have come accross you will get a a sequence of tones, normally a tune and some beeps related to the flight pack.

Thanks

Olly

Pete B - Moderator01/05/2012 10:17:19
7583 forum posts
732 photos

I can see where you're coming from, Olly, but there is usually a delay of a few seconds before the ESC goes into programming mode (5 secs in the case of a Hobbywing, for example) and the throttle should be closed before that.

Your sequence would not set the throttle range - the only way to do that is to connect the ESC when the throttle is fully open.

Over to you! teeth 2

Pete

Stephen Grigg01/05/2012 10:29:45
8691 forum posts
1128 photos

I found when I bound on Spectrum my throttle needed reversing.Unfortunately I found this out when inadvertantly switching Tx off before model in setting the model up,Same as you Olly, blood everywhere .Wopuld it be better to go through the set up from binding the receiver t6o the Tx otherwise people may think they should bind on full throttle,and also ly mistake the throttle needing to be reversed.The lesson I learnt was set up with prop OFF,

Olly P01/05/2012 10:50:07
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Pete - The purpose of the post was to try and ask the common questions we need answering to help setting up an ESC, once we have the information from above we can then look at setting throttle ranges etc.

Pete B - Moderator01/05/2012 11:16:16
7583 forum posts
732 photos

Ah, then you were not suggesting that was the procedure for setting the throttle range, sorry. I understand the purpose of the thread now! Should be usefulthumbs up

Pete

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator01/05/2012 22:24:13
6720 forum posts
189 photos

Agreed...this should be a useful thread so I have made it a sticky!!!! thumbs up

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator02/05/2012 00:12:06
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Powermad this Hargreaves bloke. We have to sponge him down with iced water in the "back office" or heaven knows what he'd do next. wink 2

Seriously, good post - very useful. Wish I'd known that before seting up my first electric model and having try to fly around the workshop minus its wings embarrassed

BEB

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/05/2012 13:59:37
6720 forum posts
189 photos

smile d

Olly P02/05/2012 14:22:13
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Bagsy not the one sponging down - sorry Steve, you just ain't my type

seecomber12/01/2013 17:44:15
64 forum posts

I am having difficulty setting up my ESC.I get plenty of noise from the motor but no rotation.I give below the details requested by Olly in the hope they may make sense to him,or perhaps someone else.

Tx FutabaT6EX Rx FSkyTFR6 ESC Hobby King 70A SBEC

Points 1 to 5 Series of noises,blips and shrieks with spasmodic movement,no rotation

Points 6 to 7 Steady pulsating blip from motor with slight movement ,no rotation.

In all situations movement of the stick has no effect.

The motor is a Turnigy G46

I would be grateful for any helpful sugestions on setting this unit up.

PatMc12/01/2013 17:51:36
4200 forum posts
521 photos

Futaba throttle sense needs to be reversed in program.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/01/2013 18:03:52
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

To slightly unpack that! 99% of the time when using Futaba Tx's with ESC's the throtlle direction is "wrong" - ie stick back is full throttle, stick forward is throttle closed. Reverse the throttle direction in your Tx.

BEB

Tim Mackey12/01/2013 18:33:05
20919 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Posted by Stephen Grigg on 01/05/2012 10:29:45:

I found when I bound on Spectrum my throttle needed reversing.Unfortunately I found this out when inadvertantly switching Tx off before model in setting the model up,Same as you Olly, blood everywhere .Wopuld it be better to go through the set up from binding the receiver t6o the Tx otherwise people may think they should bind on full throttle,and also ly mistake the throttle needing to be reversed.The lesson I learnt was set up with prop OFF,

Thats odd, as I am a spektrum user, and have never needed to set the throttle reversed - thought it was only Fuby gear that this applied to?

seecomber12/01/2013 19:41:38
64 forum posts

I have reversed the throttle direction and now the `noises` as previously reported above are reversed i.eThrottle closed position Single chime then silence.No rotation orspatic jerks

Throttle in fully open positin Variety of chimes,bleeps and phone like sounds but no rotation or spastic jerks

Do these ESC`s need some sort of programer?

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator12/01/2013 22:26:56
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

OK, so now we have the throttle the right way round!

You don't need a programming card - but most people find it easier with one.

If you're not using one then here is the next step. Turn on Tx, put throttle at max. Then power up the ESC. As soon as the first bleeps start, move the throttle to minimum. The ESC should pause for a second, then will usually emit a series of equally spaced short beeps. There will probably be one bleep for each cell in you battery. So 3s battery - bleep, bleep, bleep. 5s battery - 5 bleeps and so on. Most will then emit either one long bleep, or a little tune!

(NOTE: If no bleeps after shuting your throttle - just disconnect your ESC and reconnect again - keeping your throttle closed, you should now get one bleep for each cell, and proceed to the next step)

Now try opening your throttle - your ESC should work. If not post again and we'll move to the next stage.

BEB

GrahamC13/01/2013 11:45:22
1232 forum posts
196 photos

I'd just check the soldering on the leads and plugs between the ESC and motor too. In my limited experience a poor solder joint is often the cause of Spasmodic jerks... Well in brushless motors anyway!

DH 82A13/01/2013 12:13:58
198 forum posts

Why not follow the instructions that come with the ESC? All ESC's I,ve had, brushed and brushless, have instructions, using either TX stick movements or prog. card.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator13/01/2013 13:32:29
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Ah, DH82A, a man after my own heart!

BEB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us