Forum sponsored by CML

The Quest, no not the Holy Grail, been done

How would you approach making the...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danny Fenton01/05/2012 11:09:45
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

Okay if you haven't seen the June 2012 magazine you wont have a clue what I am on about. But when you do, skip to page 78 wink 2

There you will find a picture of the Landing light on the British built Hawker Hurricane.

For you real "Detailitis" sufferers the Canadian built Hurricanes had the bulb in the back of the reflector like an old Lucas car head light. The British built ones had the bulb in front of the reflector on a three armed support structure.

The "Mission", should you choose to accept it, is to come up with ideas on how you would re-create this in 1/6 scale. I have already made most of it so it is all just for a bit of fun, and not that I haven't a clue. (though usually I don't)

There is no prize, no reward just a bit of fun to try and see how imaginitive people can be. 3D printing is still too expensive, and the famous Phil Clark shrinking gun is also not allowed wink 2 (He doesn't really have one he tells me).

Right here is the picture that was used in the magazine, it is reproduced courtesy of Bryan Atkinson.

So how would you make the reflector, the 3 pronged arm, the bulb, the wiring and the support structure?

andy watson01/05/2012 12:16:15
1942 forum posts
20 photos

I did something similar on the stuka with a 12V LED and a reflector cone I scavenged from somewhere or other. A guy at our club is building a big Mitchell, and he used a halogen bulb for his light- Alan Cantwell may have a photo.

Alan Cantwell01/05/2012 12:23:24
3039 forum posts

OY, shouldnt you be teaching some kidswink 2

if there are any details of this,  it will be in the build thread on the  LMA  forum

Edited By Alan Cantwell on 01/05/2012 12:29:29

Danny Fenton01/05/2012 12:25:01
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

Hi Andy, so did you use a reflector with the bulb mounted at the rear or at the front? The problem with most reflectors from torches etc are that the bulb is mounted in the middle of the reflector. So if you use one you will have to close off the back and keep the reflective surface intact.

Here is the reflector I have made, using lith plate and some Solvol Autosol polish to make it reflective. It is 1" diameter. Sorry the pic is squashed sad

Edited By Danny Fenton on 01/05/2012 12:26:02

Eamonn Fahey01/05/2012 14:52:51
529 forum posts
58 photos

Danny, the picture is not only squashed but, more importantly, it's not there! surprise

Danny Fenton01/05/2012 15:31:19
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

MMMM thats curious I can see it, ohay let me re-post....

Thanks for the heads up

Cheers

Danny

Cyclicscooby01/05/2012 15:32:11
874 forum posts
531 photos

For a scale-ish effect, i'd just create a 'tripod' from thin metal, and stick it over the top of a normally mounted LED.. Trying to get the back sealed off, line up the 'tripod' perfectly, and get the LED mounted square under the tripod, with wires not showing, doesn't sound worth the faff. compared to the former..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Olly P01/05/2012 15:35:15
3215 forum posts
181 photos

Litho plate and a car headlamp mounting from the scrap yard, Form the reflector from card and foil or beaten litho plate, then add a cut plate tripod spiral, with the bulb mount fixed to it. Paint black.

then get a motorbike 6v bulb and power from a 6v 3a ubec.

job done.

Danny Fenton01/05/2012 15:43:47
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

Hi Guys thanks for the ideas, keep em coming, I am not sure that you are realising that the reflector is only 1" across. The only bulb I have ever seen that is anywhere near the size required is what is called a "grain of rice" type bulb. And that isn't round disgust

Chrissie that tripods prongs are around .5mm thick at this scale, how would you make it that fine?

But I like your thought track, I presume something like aluminium foil cut to the shape of the tripod, possibly cut with a plotter, stuck over an led torch type business end. That would probably work quite well.

Here is the tripod

I had to make the prongs around .75mm thick to actually make them...........

Cheers

Danny

Olly P01/05/2012 15:49:21
3215 forum posts
181 photos

ok, in that case an LED in mount is definatly the way to go. perhaps a .25mm white led?

Olly

Cyclicscooby01/05/2012 15:58:20
874 forum posts
531 photos

Could you lie tin foil over some card, and gently cut out..??

Have you checked out Maplins selection of 3W LEDs, and Lenses..?? They don't do a 'tripod' lense, but there might be summut useful.. I got one of every type, and they're all about 1" diameter.. (Spot lights on my 1/8 Landy and spot/landing for heli)

The 3W LED might mount under the tripod, but you really need a heatsink, which wouldn't work.. It would, mounted the 'right' way, work as a super bright useful landing light tho.. Far superior to a rice bulb.. !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 01/05/2012 15:59:56

Cyclicscooby01/05/2012 16:04:51
874 forum posts
531 photos

IF..... You have some thin, but proper metal sheet, you could sandwich it between two bits of wood, clamp it, and try filing it out.. The wood might stop the metal twisting..?!

IF, you could do that, the metal tripod might work well enuf as a functioning heatsink, for short periods.. !!!!

I'll go and take a pic of the lenses n LEDs for you..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Tony Bennett01/05/2012 16:06:43
5074 forum posts
129 photos

jewely making wire for the tripod.

Danny Fenton01/05/2012 16:11:37
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

Hi Chaps, the idea of this is not to help me do this but to have a bit of fun to see how you would do it wink 2 I know you are all level headed and wouldn't go to all this bother crook A true "detailitis" suffer would love this challenge. I know I really should get out more......

This is how Pete Fullard, (hope you don't mind me showing Pete?) did his.

PS these are linked from Petes Flickr account so if they don't appear can somebody let me know wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Tony Bennett01/05/2012 16:15:07
5074 forum posts
129 photos

personaly i would have just painted a silver box on the wing to show where it would be in real life.

cheeky

Colin Bernard01/05/2012 16:39:17
478 forum posts
81 photos

Re the bulbs - Rapid do 1.8mm high power LEDs that go up to 4500mcd here. Whether that would be bright enough I am not sure, but worth bearing in mind.

Cyclicscooby01/05/2012 17:08:32
874 forum posts
531 photos

Granted, if I had a nice lathe, i'd do it that way too, but in the absence of one...

Here are the Maplin Non-heatsinked 3W LED's... Forget 1000's of mcd's, these are ARGHH..I THINK I'M BLIND bright..!! They draw 700mA's.. !!

Lenses 5 LED size

Here are some lenses..

Lenses 1 all 4 1

The middle one is a magnifying fish eye.. That, behind the LE glass, with a 'tripod' just stuck over the top, would sufice for all but very close scrutiny..

Thats how i'd go about this theoretical landing light construction.. !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Cyclicscooby01/05/2012 17:10:36
874 forum posts
531 photos

Granted, if I had a nice lathe, i'd do it that way too, but in the absence of one...

Here are the Maplin Non-heatsinked 3W LED's... Forget 1000's of mcd's, these are ARGHH..I THINK I'M BLIND bright..!! They draw 700mA's.. !!

Lenses 5 LED size

Here are some lenses..

Lenses 1 all 4 1

The middle one is a magnifying fish eye.. That, behind the LE glass, with a 'tripod' just stuck over the top, would sufice for all but very close scrutiny..

Thats how i'd go about this theoretical landing light construction.. !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Danny Fenton01/05/2012 17:28:29
9093 forum posts
3937 photos

Okay some good ideas, not sure they would get far with a scale judge, but good ideas none the less. I never actually said that the light had to function by the way wink 2

Anyway, how about the structure inside the wing leading edge, what would you do to re-create that? And Tony don't say I wouldn't LOL Though I know most of you would probably think why bother......

I guess I must be the only "detailitis" sufferer online today.....Ton where are you matey wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 01/05/2012 17:30:02

Simon Chaddock01/05/2012 17:44:19
5418 forum posts
2833 photos

If I was going to do it I would use an existing torch reflector unit., the Mini Maglite springs to mind.

In fact I would probably use its bulb as well as they are seriously bright and can be focused from a pencil to broad beam.

The reflector

Mini Maglite reflector

I sure I could fabricate a realistic looking dummy bulb support to go infront.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us