By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Big 182

Notes on the assembly and flying of this rather exceptional ARTF .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom Wright 207/05/2012 03:10:31
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Hi All

As a full size 182 pilot in the distant past I have always fancied decent size rc model of this aircraft but found the current offerings two small , to heavy or to expensive.

Then Steve posted details of a model purchased from a Norwegian outlet and this one immediately looked interesting so the order was placed and duly arrived in little over a week .

After placing the order a little doubt crept into my mind as the hanger was already over full and this model was made from foam but all indications suggested that it was good stuff ,as in, the best used in Multiplex models.

I have designed quite a few blue foam models but never paid good money out for an ARTF foam job so this would be new territory for me and in the knowledge that my purchase would immediately attracted derisory remarks from fellow pilots and balsa bashers my doubts became more intense.

As time allows I will post a short account of impressions from opening the box to the maiden ,If a 6ft plus span (1870 mm) EP 182 is of interest or anyone else has one give me a shout on here to compare notes.

Tom.

Bill_B07/05/2012 06:28:58
1145 forum posts
11 photos

I'll be watching your progress to see what your thoughts are on these large foamie planes. I have resevations about them being a bit on the heavy side though. Has yours got the full lighting kit, ribbed control surfaces and flaps etc.?

Cyclicscooby07/05/2012 12:31:10
874 forum posts
531 photos

I'd love to know how you get on.. I saw the other one too, and was impressed with what I saw..

I had an IC one converted to BL, about that size, that never flew cuz it was too heavy, so i'd love to conquer the beast, and get one flying...

The foam looks very solid / dense on the prevoius post, so it might be a bit heavier than expected, but it'll still be bags lighter than a wooden one.. What motor are you using (W & Kv) as i've got a Power 32 from the, now sold, wooden one...

PooPoo to anyone who diss'es it for being a foamie.. It is what it is.. A Nice big 182..

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Tom Wright 207/05/2012 13:14:11
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Bill without giving to much away at this stage this 182 is light very robust and operates from our short grass strip with ease.

Landings are very short even in still air so weight / wing loading is not an issue, this part of the specification meet my requirements very well.

The model has ready fitted glazed windows all round and all control surfaces are ribbed.Nav lights are not supplied but the shape is moulded at all the light locations so it would be a simple matter to fit working lights.

More later

Tom.

Tom Wright 207/05/2012 14:17:08
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Chrisie.

I had a new Turnigy Aerodrive 3542-800KV motor ,70A Cod ESC ,and Turnigy 7A UBEC,in the draw so I reckoned this power train would provide plenty of flexibility in the power dept and give the option of running a 4A 3cell or 4A four cell using a Master Airscrew 12x6 prop.

As it turned out the three cell gave just the right amount of power for long flights and resulted in the power chain components running very cool indeed ,just how I like EP set upswink 2.

Tom.

Tom Wright 207/05/2012 14:33:49
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Bill_B07/05/2012 14:45:34
1145 forum posts
11 photos

Looking forward to more photos......yes

Tom Wright 207/05/2012 14:49:38
3908 forum posts
297 photos

All the ribbed control surfaces came ready hinged .I did not attempt to extend the red vinal trims over the ribs as this could have ended up looking unsightly.

Steve W-O07/05/2012 14:53:06
2775 forum posts
310 photos

Looks good, look forward to seeing more.

Did your wing bolts line up easily?

Very brave witha plastic geared servo connected with s straight wire to the nose leg, my luck doen't go that far, I'd have stripped gears on the first hard landing!

I think you might get another 7 minutes with a 12X7 prop, assuming from what you say you fly at low throttle a lot of the time like me.

It's strange to see someone fitting a smaller motor than me

Tom Wright 207/05/2012 15:12:14
3908 forum posts
297 photos

The model comes with all the control surface push rods fitted the split elevator has two rods joined to operate from one servo .This results in quite a bit of friction so as the rods were joined with a collete was easy to separate them and fit two 9gm servos for each elevator half.An extra mount was then made to accommodate the rudder servo.

Keeping all the components as forward as possible makes it easy to get the the correct C/G position without adding nose weight.This all helps to keep the weight down particularly if a modest size lipo is used .The 4A three cell was more the sufficient to get a safe c/g .

Tom Wright 207/05/2012 15:51:37
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Hi Steve.

The wing bolts were spot on thumbs upThe nose wheel steering servo is a bit cheeky but it has been fine so far operating from not so smooth grass .Will see how it goes and might make a spring loop connector to relieve the shock loads .

This brings me to landing technique I gained my PPL from a short grass field so was taught to to land in a high nose up attitude coming back on the yoke so at the point of touch down the it was all the way back so the landing load was all on the mains .Then during the roll out and as the speed decayed the nose wheel was allowed to contact the ground .The American way of driving on all three is not for me ,this can result in "wheel barrowing" which puts huge loads on the nose wheel.The short field landing technique works just as well with the model 182 as it does on the full size so the loads on the nose wheel servo are kept very low.

One point to note is that the nose wheel leg is in two three parts with the top and bottom piano wire stubs held into the suspension unit with grub screws .No flats are provided to prevent the whole assembly turning off axis when loads are applied so this part needs taking apart and  flats ground into both stubs ,this proved to be a simple job with no snags.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 07/05/2012 16:02:06

Tom Wright 207/05/2012 17:23:15
3908 forum posts
297 photos

The generous lipo /gear compartment is covered by a six magnet hatch which has finger grips at each side .Thought finger nails would result in scuffs an unsightly marks in the foam so a simple grab tag made from light ply and covered with Solarfilm was fitted .

Bill_B07/05/2012 18:18:22
1145 forum posts
11 photos

I like your hatch mod, very nice. A Cessna this size would make a suitable glider tug for some of the more compact foam gliders available so I wonder if there's enough room to fit an additional servo and tow release behind the wing? And I suppose floats could be fitted too. Glider towing with floats?, that would surely be a first!

Tom Wright 209/05/2012 15:05:56
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Using a four cell instead of of the three results in 750W more than enough to tow a glider .It would be a simple matter to locate a tow release fixed to the flat portion of the u/c. with the operating servo on a ply plate located under the fus or better still cut out an opening in the fus underside and build a ply well to house the servo.

Tom Wright 217/05/2012 01:40:49
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Nose wheel mod.

The 182 is a joy on take off and is super easy in the air .The STOL performance is surprisingly good to say the AUW is nearly 6 lbs however after twenty or so landings in various wind conditions the nose wheel leg supplied was found to suffer from poor directional resolution ,grub screws becoming constantly loose and bending at the spring loaded tube exit point.

To be fair the model has been operated from grass and as the main undercarriage was initially fitted back to front the resulting in exaggerated pitch forward on landing putting extra stress on the nose leg.

Despite this the steering servo remained undamaged which was surprising as the operating rod was short and thick enough to resist bending. So the nose leg was replaced with an off the shelf coil sprung one and the servo link wire was reduced in diameter so heavy loads produced bending but without permanently deforming.

Did at least twenty landings today with the new leg and was pleased with the results ,no bending good steering ,and no need to do any service work . No mods to the leg bracket or bulkhead was needed which made the job quick and simple.smile .

Tom.

A PS for Steve

Removing a side window to gain access to the cabin interior is very easy to do ,just run a balsa knife blade around the window were it joins the foam, do the work s required in the office and refit with a smear of U por.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 17/05/2012 01:45:08

Redstorm17/05/2012 06:07:53
85 forum posts
12 photos

Following this thread with interest as I'm looking to the 182 as my next plane. Keep us posted

Thanks

Tom Wright 223/05/2012 01:42:13
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Third time out today with the 182 it really is a pussy cat to fly no bad habits and the landing speed is very low even without using the flaps .

The 3mm wheel bolts supplied can shear when landing on rough ground so I replaced all three with 4mm machine bolts and slightly larger wheels. This mod along with replacing the nose wheel with a standard off the shelf coil suspension leg is IMO essential unless operating from a bowling green or tarmac.

Did get a short video but just have some stills for the moment.

Double click on the photos for best view.

Edited By Tom Wright 2 on 23/05/2012 02:03:51

Tom Wright 225/05/2012 01:35:13
3908 forum posts
297 photos

Hi All

Another simple mod to avoid the fiddling about with collets as strut retainers.

I used strip magnets removed from an old E motor and glued one in each of the strut attachment fairings this prevents the struts detaching in flight and makes rigging and de rigging easy.

Tom.

Big Bandit25/05/2012 02:22:44
2436 forum posts
947 photos

Very nice Tom.

Cheers,

Chris.

Bill_B25/05/2012 14:30:24
1145 forum posts
11 photos

It just needs a set of floats now. There's something appealing about certain aircraft on floats and the Cessna is one of those. Not to mention the J3 Cub, Tiger Moth, Beaver, Twin Otter etc.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us