Recovery stories

Getting the model back

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter Miller14/05/2012 10:37:18
10738 forum posts
1259 photos
10 articles

Sunday. A field of oilseed rape 50 yards from our strip. One model on the runway, the other goes dead stick. Ends up in the oilseed rape.

Note that the owner is not crouching down.

The model was about 60 yards in, luckily a line was taken of its landing spot.

The owner now has yellow trousers

recovery 1

recovery 2

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator14/05/2012 10:45:31
6742 forum posts
191 photos

Blimey Peter that is high.....I guess the combine harvester would have found the model eventually!!!

Lucky man....thumbs up

Peter Miller14/05/2012 10:49:13
10738 forum posts
1259 photos
10 articles

He is possibly bending slightly to push through.

This shows him at full stretch

In the past we have had two models out in the rape for weeks. Both found and returned basically undamaged

recovery 3

Edited By Peter Miller on 14/05/2012 10:51:08

Phil Brooks14/05/2012 11:29:06
464 forum posts
148 photos

My first trainer was a Hobbico Sturdy Burdy. I covered the foam wings in bright yellow solarfilm to aid finding it should it land out. Guess where it went in? I found it, but I don't remember how!

Martin Harris14/05/2012 12:10:25
9159 forum posts
229 photos

I went on a week's canal trip (pub-crawl) with some clubmates a few years ago and took a little 3D style foamy for evening entertainment. At the end of a showery day, the weather cleared beautifully and we flew from the field attached to our evening hostelry. After handing it to a friend, he unfortunately found it a bit too much of a handful and dropped it out of control, a good 100 yards away, into the field of fully grown rape that we were flying over.

After an hour of searching up and down the rows and peering between the stalks we were about to give up and I decided to try one last long shot based on the estimated distance and line. I plunged into the thick crop between two rows and walked (struggled) straight to the model which wasn't visible from more than about 2 or 3 yards!

When the two of us emerged from the field with the undamaged model, we were (a) yellow from head to toe and (b) as wet as if we'd fallen into the canal!

Incidentally, my mate is a smidgeon over 5 feet tall and completely disappeared in the crop!

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/05/2012 12:16:26

Sparks14/05/2012 13:19:46
265 forum posts
55 photos

Yes, that yellow stuff is a devil to get out of clothing. Our club bought some paper overalls from the pound shop for use when retrieving models out of the rape. White overalls are quite usefull when locating pilots who get lost in the undergrowth as well!

Vecchio Austriaco14/05/2012 13:33:45
1498 forum posts
707 photos

Now it is the yellow stuff - a few month later it is the corn. 2.5m on the edges but up to 4m when you are in. And those leaves cut you. And it is full of all kind of creatures. So you are not only wet but also scratched and bitten...

Claudio and Siro harvesting a Calmato

Calmato harvesting on 26th September 2010

Martin Harris14/05/2012 14:01:30
9159 forum posts
229 photos

Had that experience in Germany when a Spitfire was lost near Cologne...

The owner disappeared into it and we soon lost voice contact due to the sound deadening properties of the corn. After a few minutes I decided to go and look for him as (although he's very fit for his age) he is in his 70s and I spent quite a while searching for both the pilot and the model before finally making contact. By this time he had lost hope of finding the model and said he was coming back out. Luckily while making my way back as well along a different row, I came across the Spitfire at a convenient eye level.

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/05/2012 14:04:05

Peter Miller14/05/2012 18:18:30
10738 forum posts
1259 photos
10 articles

The ironic part of our incident was that we had walkie talkies and the retriever didn't take one with him.

We have found them useful in wheat.

Alan Cantwell14/05/2012 20:08:35
3039 forum posts

mate of mines model went down in this stuff, he was just about to set off into the yellow wilderness, when he was handed a very yellow staied set of overauls, whats these for?? soon found out, he was soaked when he came outsmile

Phil Claridge15/05/2012 10:14:17
1924 forum posts
32 photos

my brother dropped his magician into a rape field about 150 yards in, it took four of us nearly two hours to find it. it was sitting nicely on top with no damage. the next day i planted my nice new hi-boy in the same field by doing a 100ft loop with only 75ft of airspace.frown we headed off to look for it thinking not again a two hour hunt, but as we got closer i could hear the engine still running.

we swum our way though the rape as fast as we could hoping the engine would keep going, we got withing ten feet of the plane when the engine died

it had taken about ten minutes to get there, the plane had gone right through to ground level leaving its wings on top of the rape. the strange part was the engine was wait for it an MDS 40 which had had only two tank fulls for running in. sadly the plane only lasted another week as i planted it on concrete the next time at full chat and straight down from great hightcrying

harris15/05/2012 12:18:40
29 forum posts

I was slope soaring at Burton Upon Stather ages ago with a Zaggi wing. I bascially lost control because the wind died down and lost sight of it. I never had a lost model alarm so after hunting for an hour i gave up. Flying there 6 months later my SAS Venom did the same thing so i went to retrieve the model using the lost model alarm and what do i stumble across my Zaggi! The tape had faded because the sun and because the model was upside down why Futaba 617FS was in perfect condition.

graham kindberg115/05/2012 12:22:16
129 forum posts

Know about the tall stuff, our flying site is surrounded on 3 sides with sugar cane that is harvested every 2 years, it spends most of its life about 15 feet tall. Its a sod to negotiate, and its home to thousands of brown snakes. something to think about when falling about in it.

Peter Miller15/05/2012 18:14:25
10738 forum posts
1259 photos
10 articles

Snakes? I think I would go back to control line

Former Member15/05/2012 18:36:25
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Frank Skilbeck15/05/2012 18:54:02
4602 forum posts
101 photos

I often visit Houston and pop round to watch the fliers at a local RC club, they have fantastic facilities, concerete runway, covered area to set up the model etc etc. But I was reading a story on their web site about one of the fliers who's model had gone down in the bush (they fly on the edge of a park/flood reservoir), after he's put on the snake gaters (rattlesnakes here) he went to look for the model but got dehydrated and disorientated. It took his fellow fliers sometime to find him and he ended up with the paramedics taking him to hospital.

On a lighter note flying off our local slope I went to collect my model that had landed out a bit and found another fliers model that had been lost in the ferns some 6 months previously, new Rx battery and it was flying again.

Myron Beaumont15/05/2012 22:21:39
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Phil

I just love a happy ending !wink 2

Phil Claridge16/05/2012 21:00:47
1924 forum posts
32 photos

yup, highboy to low boy in one easy crunchwink moved on to the wot for or five or six of themsurprise

i could crash them just as well

Oldbaldfella16/05/2012 21:12:17
198 forum posts
56 photos

Within the last 2 hours, her indoors put her Sky Surfer (which I bought her) into.................the river.

Had to borrow a canoe to go get it back.

Remarkably it still works!!!

richard cohen16/05/2012 21:30:52
289 forum posts
37 photos

just back from a trip into the 5' tall rape field for a clubmates model and luckily found it (unlike the other couple still awaiting the combine harvester) because i'm 6'3'' but in a month or two it will be over 7' tall so no hope of finding anything. I have just written an article for the club newsletter suggesting fitment of a model finder, whether audible or direction finder type. It must seem sensible because as a club we have bought them for all our club trainers and several members including me have also got one coming. At a tenner each its hard to justify NOT fitting one. check out njttechnical (other model finder systems are available smile p)

Dusty yellow Rich !!!

ps. wife has just seen state of clothes that were clean on at lunch time crying 2 .. her head has come off !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us