Hammer F3F

The one thats tempted me back

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lee Smalley07/06/2012 13:09:13
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles

thats a thick wing BB, but does look very nicely made!

Barnesyboy07/06/2012 13:57:49
350 forum posts
19 photos

Its not to bad Lee the pics have squached abit due to the wonderful way you post pics on this forum. The fuse is alot rounder than the pic shows.

Its about 20mm at the thickest part I would guess

**LINK**

Edited By Barnesyboy on 07/06/2012 14:02:57

Lee Smalley07/06/2012 14:12:52
2125 forum posts
68 photos
2 articles
Yeah that fus looks cavernous lol, optical dilusion or sommat
Ultymate07/06/2012 14:54:30
1687 forum posts
54 photos

If you right click on the image and choose open in new tab you get the non-distorted version displayed

Edited By Ultymate on 07/06/2012 14:59:54

FWAL21/06/2012 22:58:23
313 forum posts
469 photos

I made a small start on the wing joiner whilst in the workshop this evening. However, the wing finishings are almost complete as I have decided to varnish the wings rather than cover them in plastic. To me the qualtiy of the veneer was too good to cover, so by varnishing first I shouldn't mark the wings with glue whilst fitting the joiner and hardwood blocks (that's the theory blush 

hammer wing joiner.jpg

Barnesyboy24/06/2012 10:54:46
350 forum posts
19 photos

Good stuff. my wings are complete now bar covering or varnishing. will make a start on the fus today

BB

JC24/06/2012 11:47:46
283 forum posts
53 photos

Very nice looking aircraft.

FWAL26/06/2012 22:09:06
313 forum posts
469 photos

I hit my hammer tonight and started to fit the wing joiner. I soon found out that you had to be pretty patient whilst working the epoxy into the wing and around the joiners, no matter how hard I tried you cant rush gravity, since these photo's were taken I have topped up the male part

hammer m joiner.jpg

hammer f joiner.jpg

Rob - Flying Dog RC26/06/2012 22:40:28
19 forum posts
6 photos

The wing joiner is the most nerve wrecking part But needs to be done without any "corner cutting".

According to the producer the wing joiner can be even shorter - there's lots of carbon and kevlar inside - if glued as adviced then it will never fold the wings - even when shoot with oversized bungee :D

Few pictures of my build:

Covering with Oracover, I'm not very experienced so there's a few wrinkles but it goes musch better than I thought it will - same color will go for the wings - then some decals will go over it.

More to go in few days

Thanks

PS. what's the best resolution for pictures on this forum ? It looks like mine are squized a bit

Rob

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 02/07/2012 16:24:16

FWAL27/06/2012 08:11:16
313 forum posts
469 photos
Posted by Barnesyboy on 24/06/2012 10:54:46:

Good stuff. my wings are complete now bar covering or varnishing. will make a start on the fus today

BB

Hi Mark

How much up movement have you got in your Ail's and flap's ? and how did you manage to attain this movement.

I ask as I have no up movement at present due to the construction of the wing to date. To introduce up I'd imagine I have to do some very careful sanding.

Rob - Flying Dog RC27/06/2012 11:21:14
19 forum posts
6 photos

Hi - quick pictures regarding flaps movement.

More movement is possible to achieve with sanding or cutting bits of with a scalpel.

As I sell it I won't bother anybody with positives of the KIT, hope very soon few will fly I just point the negatives as they appear during my build.

1. Edges on the fornir between ailerons and flaps needs sanding, edges are not smooth and splinters block the movement a bit - annoying as it can be done at the production stage in like a minute - after they are fixed to the model it takes much longer (sand paper 100 and then 240)

2. Negative if other than Varnish covering method will be used : Ailerons and Flaps are so "gapless" that without sanding the the bottom edge (the one that goes inside of the wing when down movement is applied ) will not be possible to work.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 02/07/2012 16:25:23

Barnesyboy02/07/2012 14:41:37
350 forum posts
19 photos

I had no problem with up on the controls, I did find it tight going down so gave it a light sand.

You problem will most likley be the very fine tolorance on the bottom side of the wing tempertaue swell will close the gap up give it a sand to open up the gap a few MM and you will be fine (I went abit mad and have a 6mm gap now

My wings are now covered in 2 coats of varnish just trying to deside if I want wood look or am I painitng

BB

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator02/07/2012 16:29:51
6703 forum posts
185 photos
Posted by Robert Piechulski 1 on 26/06/2012 22:40:28:

PS. what's the best resolution for pictures on this forum ? It looks like mine are squized a bit

Rob

Robert are your pics sourced from an external album? The forum does tend to squash piccies hosted this way. Its something the teccies are looking at for us....

Could I ask you to add a new "line" between each pic too....if you don't then in some browsers the pics appear side by side until they disappear off the side of the screen......

Tutorials & how tos are here.....

Rob - Flying Dog RC02/07/2012 19:05:02
19 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks Steve - next time I will upload everything to the local album - sorry about the missing lines embarrassed

Not much done but I managed to cover 1 wing.

hammer wing covering.jpg

Some wrinkles on the wing tip - but I did expect that, I'm sure more experienced chaps will get that better.

From a few meters the wing looks perfect, but if you look closely then you will see that the surface is not perfectly smooth, I think that next time I may give it some preparation (Varnish and sanding) - but saying that - it still looks better than covering on most of RTF models that I own.
Hope to get the second one done tonight

FWAL02/07/2012 23:12:09
313 forum posts
469 photos

I found this part of the build a little bit nerve wracking, a simple slip and the wing veneer could easily be damaged. However, all went well cutting out the EPP and shaping and gluing four hardwood blocks, two in each wing root. The blocks distribute the wing bolt loads and support two additional wing locating dowels

hams wing block cut out.jpg

Very happy with the positioning (lining up with the internal TE) and the ease of making such an aperture

hams wing block glued.jpg

Rather than using epoxy resin I opted for Gorrila glue. I like the fact that it expands slightly whilst curing so in this instance will definitely help secure the blocks to both the EPP and wood veneer. The above block has just been positioned so the glue has yet to cure.

FWAL03/07/2012 19:25:25
313 forum posts
469 photos

The wing block glue has cured and this evening I have cut and fixed the ply to close the wing root again using gorrila glue

hams wing block 3.jpg

FWAL06/07/2012 20:35:36
313 forum posts
469 photos

This evening I've been working on ail's and flaps to improve the movement. It took a little time as the top of the wing will be a clear gloss varnish and the underside will be covered in white oracover. To date the wings have received two thinned coats of varnish with the top having an additional full coat of varnish

hams ail gap cleaning t.jpg

I used the top edge of a stanley knife blade to both increase the gap and remove excess varnish from the ail/flap hinge joint

hams ail hing clearence.jpg

careful sanding was required to form the right amount of down movement. I'm very relived to have finished this job and to have satsifactory control movement. It was one of those things which when you purchase a model with pre-hinged surfaces you didn't expect to do. Anyway it's done now, and the results are rewarding.

I also know now what to expect when I purchse a Mefisto face 1

Edited By FWAL on 06/07/2012 20:36:56

Rob - Flying Dog RC07/07/2012 17:32:34
19 forum posts
6 photos

FWAL - as far as I know your hinges where the tightest one from the whole batch I received - good news you have that sorted, will speak to the producer and will point that out.

In the mean time I've managed to cover second wing and all flaps/ailerons.

hammer wings covered.jpg

Now I look at HS82MG and Corona DS-239MG servos and can't decide which one I want to use for the wings ... oh well - I'll toss a coin ...

Plan is to have it ready for the next weekend if nothing will go in the way ..

FWAL07/07/2012 21:38:32
313 forum posts
469 photos

Today I started on the fuse and specifically the wing mountings.

hams wing bed aperture.jpg

I carefully drilled pilot holes through the wing and into the wing bed, then I marked and cut out an aperture which will aid clamping and access to the rx

hams wing bolt backing plate.jpg

I then cut a piece of 9mm ply to match the underside

hams backing plate in situ.jpg

An internal view of the wing bolt plate (dry fit). Also, the quality of the fuse is very, very impressiveyes

hams wing bolts.jpg

Out on the bench and the wing bolt retainers are glued into position and tomorrow the backing plate will be glued back into the fuse.

Barnesyboy08/07/2012 08:54:25
350 forum posts
19 photos

Nice Jobs boys, Ive been very lasy and havenbt touched mine for a week or so, really need to find some time to get back on it

BB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us